Dak Prescott Finished Second in NFL MVP Votes According to the Associated Press

Adreme

Reaction score
I do not disagree based on the purpose of the award but there is the counter argument that a league most valuable player award should include their performance from Week 1 up to and possibly the Super Bowl.
We already have the Super Bowl MVP to cover the playoffs and we have the rest of the awards to cover the regular season.

Yobwocs

Reaction score
Yep and Chiefs adapted to their lack of weapons on offense.
Well.... Mahomes' receiving unit wasn't good but it wasn't bottom 3 like ours in 2018. I'd say there's a drastic difference. He at least had receiver depth on the team, we didn't even have that.

He still had Kelce. Id take Rice, Watson, Scantling, Hellaire, Pacheko, Hardman, and even Toney over Gallup and Beasley which were Daks best targets.

Cowboys defense in 2018 was good in the regular season but Dak being clutch in 2018 and the addition of Cooper mid season pushed us to 10-6.

I'd say Dak's achievements that year in the regular season surpasses Mahomes in 2023. He was up against it more.

Maybe we should adopt the Chiefs approach more. Get more additional receivers but don't overpay unnecessary players. Get some additional defensive backs but don't overpay Bland. Chiefs defensive backs are cheap and they make all the key plays. Ours (and our receivers ) are gonna be more expensive and it prevents us from adding to both our units.

Cowboys obviously love their players too much. I get paying Dak, CD, and Micah but really id adopt a committee approach for our remaining players so our team can resemble the Chiefs more.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We already have the Super Bowl MVP to cover the playoffs and we have the rest of the awards to cover the regular season.
Wait. The Super Bowl MVP award does not pertain to the playoffs. It is solely judged and assigned to the player's performance during the league's championship game.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Okay okay okay. The thread is being derailed from the subject matter. And I am as guilty as others in doing so. Cleaning up the last few pages.

Stick to the topic as closely as you can, everyone.

Thread re-opened.

Last edited:

leeblair

Reaction score
The Associated Press' voters decide which player is named as the National Football League's Most Valuable Player. The voting process is as follows:

The AP NFL Awards recognize the season’s top performers with honors including AP Most Valuable Player – a distinction AP has handed out since 1957 – and AP Coach of the Year. They are voted on by a nationwide panel of 50 sports journalists who cover the league.
Voters will rank their top five picks for MVP and top three picks for other awards. They will also rank their choices for first and second team All-Pro – the best players at each position. This process will more seamlessly allow for AP to name second and third-place finishers. (link)​

The voting for the 2023 NFL Most Valuable Player selected by The Associated Press in balloting by a nationwide panel of media: (Voting is on a 10-5-3-2-1 basis) (link)​

Thus, last season's MVP voting broke down as follows:

s8qd7qY.png

This thread was not created to silence opinions Dak Prescott finished second, third, fourth, etc. It is emphasizing the AP's deciding factor of ranking MVP choices is total points according to how all votes were cast per representative. I think it is important for discussion since neither the league nor fans decides who gets the trophy and who finished behind the winner. It is the AP.

A couple of talking points as it pertains to Prescott:
  • All 50 AP representatives did not vote for him as their first choice for MVP
  • Prescott and the 49ers' Christian McCaffrey finished with the same number of AP representatives voting for them as their second choices
  • Lamar Jackson's total votes (493) totally overshadows Prescott's total (152) but Prescott and third-place MVP McCaffrey's total (147) was extremely slim (5 votes)
  • 13 out of remaining 50 AP representatives voted for Prescott as their third choice for MVP--edging out McCaffrey (12)
  • The remaining AP representative voted for Josh Allen as a first-ballot MVP but more AP voters choose Prescott over him as their second (17 to 5) and third-place (13 to 11) MVP choices
So, in reality he was only voted for as second place or even lower.
Only Josh Allen received a vote for first place behind Lamar Jackson, who won.
But he received many 2nd and lower place votes for his play versus the weaker teams in regular season.
But as usual, the Cowboys post season ended when the rest of the team couldn't dominate.
So it's fair to say that versus weaker teams where the Cowboys are overwhelming in all areas he's able to jump in and join the fun.
But if the Cowboys want to be more than the toughest 8-8 caliber team in the NFL, they are going to need someone else to lead them.

Adreme

Reaction score
Wait. The Super Bowl MVP award does not pertain to the playoffs. It is solely judged and assigned to the player's performance during the league's championship game.
Except if it covered the entire playoffs nothing would change. They are going to always give it to at least a team in the Super Bowl and almost always the winner and they would weigh that game far higher, like how the end of the season seems to count more in the MVP race.

gtb1943

Reaction score
27 touchdowns and 14 interceptions with a 92 QB rating is what I’d expect from Baker Mayfield. I don’t think he very good. That’s the most interceptions he’s had in his career.
he turned it up a big notch in the playoffs. What did dak do? Until the fourth qtr his stats were putrid and only got the numbers he did in garbage time

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
he turned it up a big notch in the playoffs. What did dak do? Until the fourth qtr his stats were putrid and only got the numbers he did in garbage time
What does my post have to do with Dak? We get it eh sucks why do you keep just jumping into discussion to remind us? So confused….

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Except if it covered the entire playoffs nothing would change.
The name of the award, Super Bowl Most Valuable Player, would change. If: a) a non-Super Bowl player played outstanding but did not reach the championship game and b) no Super Bowl player played remarkably during the Super Bowl, the AP would be obligated to recognize the non-Super Bowl player. Again, it would be necessary to change the name of the trophy.
They are going to always give it to at least a team in the Super Bowl and almost always the winner and they would weigh that game far higher, like how the end of the season seems to count more in the MVP race.
Bold> Of course. Super Bowl MVP.

gtb1943

Reaction score
What does my post have to do with Dak? We get it eh sucks why do you keep just jumping into discussion to remind us? So confused….
I have noticed that Dak Bots tend to lose track of reality.
Mahones turned it up and improved on his numbers and rating and everything else in the post season.
showing that claiming regular season stats are all that matters is a losing argument
meanwhile Dak went DOWN in every major statistical category from YPA, Comp %, TD vs INT ratio and a BIG drop in QB rating.

Adreme

Reaction score
The name of the award, Super Bowl Most Valuable Player, would change. If: a) a non-Super Bowl player played outstanding but did not reach the championship game and b) no Super Bowl player played remarkably during the Super Bowl, the AP would be obligated to recognize the non-Super Bowl player. Again, it would be necessary to change the name of the trophy.

Bold> Of course. Super Bowl MVP.
You missed my entire point. I’m saying if they made apply to the entire playoffs NOTHING would change.