Dak Prescott: From Game Manager to Gunslinger

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Explain the last 10 games including playoffs from last year where he put up top 10 numbers then?

I will wait.

Dak ranked 17th in QBR. That is the definition of average, which is what he is. We have some skill players and a good OL that have and still continue to help him succeed. Don't get so mad not everyone loves your guy.
http://www.espn.com/nfl/qbr/_/year/2018

ActualCowboysFan

Reaction score
Couple this with Cooper never having good hands, and well, you have disaster. Poor precision passer + bad hands = bad outcomes.
Statistics and results show this to be a completely unsupported position. You're contradicting yourself and making vague statements throughout but this one shows what happens when agenda trumps all.

98 catches
1400 yards
12 TDS
11 wins

= bad outcome?

Ken

Reaction score
Dak ranked 17th in QBR. That is the definition of average, which is what he is. We have some skill players and a good OL that have and still continue to help him succeed. Don't get so mad not everyone loves your guy.
http://www.espn.com/nfl/qbr/_/year/2018
not in the last 10 games. his last ten games lifted him from the bottom to 17.

psssst....he is currently #1

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
So many on this site, me included, complained about the lack of deep ball Dak has been known to attempt. The hue and cry about this was rampant on this site.

Well, you got what you asked for.

Longer throws, more risk.

Now it is my opinion the first pick and the last pick were not the fault of Dak. Coop should have had that throw. The last Gallup was trying to break back toward the sidelines and the defender mugged his arse. Dak threw it where Gallup should have been but could not be because of out right pass interference/holding/maybe delay of game/and the head coach of the packers outside of the coaches box.n Perhaps even the packer band was out of tune.

I have never seen an outright bar fight break out by a defender such as that play and not one official saw it as a penalty.

Back to my point. It used to irritate me to no end that Romo would throw risky passes, and it always seemed at the worst time of the game he'd get picked.

My belief is the entire board needs to take a deep breath.

In 1992, Dallas was 8-1 and went out to play the L.A. Rams. The Rams were a 6-10 team that year. But heading into that game they were 3-6. That game caused the entire world to crash for the Cowboy's fans. In the big scheme of things it wasn't that critical at all.

In 1995 Dallas was on its way to a third Super Bowl without the architect in Jimmy and Barry Clueless leading the charge. Dallas had just lost to Washington and headed inot Philly.

Fourth and one. Twice. lost two NFC East games in a row. Then went on to win out including the championship game.

No one here knows the end to this season. Sometimes, I believe, you have to take a serious step back to gain the grit to make a move on history.

Reactions: Ken

mattjames2010

Reaction score
ok..so once again...blame dak for their drops. lol

You guys are amazing.

You know they dont ding them for a drop if it is a bad pass right?

Meanwhile...back in reality, Dak has thrown the least amount of inaccurate passes in the league. Keep overblowing slight off target passes...lol

Yes, they do. There are specific statistics out there that discuss just this. But either way, you don't need stats to tell that throwing high and behind a receiver leads to disaster more often than not. Blame CAN go on both the WR and QB.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
Well thank God we have the highest paid runningback in NFL history to...oh.

80489361.jpg

Do you own clown shoes? It would be very appropriate.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Statistics and results show this to be a completely unsupported position. You're contradicting yourself and making vague statements throughout but this one shows what happens when agenda trumps all.

98 catches
1400 yards
12 TDS
11 wins

= bad outcome?

Why play obtuse or dumber than a human can possibly be? Read, think, then respond.

Throwing high and behind a WR who already struggles with catches will often lead to tipped passes that go to the defender. Shall we also discuss the stretch of games last year Cooper disappeared and we had our first shut out since 2003?

ActualCowboysFan

Reaction score
Why play obtuse or dumber than a human can possibly be? Read, think, then respond.

Throwing high and behind a WR who already struggles with catches will often lead to tipped passes that go to the defender. Shall we also discuss the stretch of games last year Cooper disappeared and we had our first shut out since 2003?

Yes clearly your argument is infallible and their team success and statistics support your conclusion that their combination equals bad outcomes. Or you're an agenda pigeon. Could go either way really

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Yes clearly your argument is infallible and their team success and statistics support your conclusion that their combination equals bad outcomes. Or you're an agenda pigeon. Could go either way really

Green Bay game already proved my point and the Commanders game.

Both Cobb and Cooper have bad hands and both have had passes thrown behind them that landed into the arms of DBs.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
not in the last 10 games. his last ten games lifted him from the bottom to 17.

psssst....he is currently #1

He ranked 17th last year use the whole season. He would have been lower but amari bailed him out. This year against some of the worst teams in the NFL at the time we played them he balled out but against 2 ranked teams how did he do? Hint....he was less than average. There's noway you actually think Dak is the best QB in football, no one is that much of a homer.

ActualCowboysFan

Reaction score
Green Bay game already proved my point and the Commanders game.

Both Cobb and Cooper have bad hands and both have had passes thrown behind them that landed into the arms of DBs.
It's possible that's a bit of an oversimplification. I can't imagine someone with your history as an honest broker just flat out making things up to prove a point. That's why you're so popular here.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
One of the positives the past few years people often cite about Dak is that he is someone who doesn't consistently turn the ball over - outside of his fumble problems, 2016 and 2018 had low INT totals. So far in 2019, he hasn't fumbled the ball, but his interception projection is way up. Right now Precott is projected to have over 537 pass attempts, 5,000 yards passing, 35 TDs, and 19 INTs. When going through every QBs 2019 projections, he compares most to Jameis Winston's 2019 projection with 531 pass attempts, 4.387 yards, 35 TDs, and 16 INTs.

I think there are a couple problems here. 1. Kellen Moore's offense seems set up more for the big play rather than taking what the defense gives you 2. Dak is pressing, this could be due to over confidence or desperation to prove he's a Russell Wilson type talent, maybe both? I think the biggest problem here is, we now lost our identity on offense. In the past, we were known as a run first team. What are we now? We a pass first, run first, or a balanced offense? We are lacking an identity now because I don't think we are truly dominating in either the pass or the run, we now have defenses dictating what our offense can do.

The problem with Dak is that he hasn't taken that step and shown he is elite. Yes, his TD numbers are up, but his INT rates are as well. In previous years, his TD totals were low through the air, but so were his INTs. When compared, he's not there with elite QBs, he's there with the Alex Smiths/Mariotas/Winstons of the league. This is not a 30+ million dollar QB play. IF we had a smart owner, he'd be looking at Dak's gamble and seeing he is losing and be using this to his advantage.
Romo stats :and what Super Bowls did that get the Dallas Cowboys during his starts at QB from 2006 to 2015. If Dak finished with those stats, he would be considered elite. But like Romo, it will not mean a thing to real Dallas Cowboys fans (contend and deliver Championship fans).

Roger Staubach is the only Dallas Cowboys QB that retired a the all time leading NFL passer and delivered a Super Bowl Ring. But people forget his Head Coach was Tom Landry and his offensive coordinator was Dan Reeves. Dak has neither.

Man has got to know his limitations.

Asklesko

Reaction score
Safe Dak is not good enough, and high-risk Dak is a disaster. Dak is a rotten QB and the sooner he is gone, the better!

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score
It’s not a winning formula for us. It never was for Romo, and never will be for Dak.

robjay04

Reaction score
I think Dak is fine when we’re in the lead or the game is close but when there is no threat of a run and he has to air it out he looks awful.

I think the last couple of weeks put on full display how easy it is for the Cowboys castle to crumble.

but he didn’t look awful during the Packers game. Sure he had his moments but it’s not like he was Baker Mayfield bad.

I thought about posting it here but I didn’t feel up to it..after the game I saw more than one Green Bay reporter praise how good Dak was besides a couple bad throws.

ActualCowboysFan

Reaction score
but he didn’t look awful during the Packers game. Sure he had his moments but it’s not like he was Baker Mayfield bad.

I thought about posting it here but I didn’t feel up to it..after the game I saw more than one Green Bay reporter praise how good Dak was besides a couple bad throws.

Only positive from that disaster is that they do look more capable of coming back.

Keithfansince5

Reaction score
This is solely my opinion (nothing but love if anyone disagrees). I don't have a problem with Dak being a gunslinger if he can control his accuracy a little better. Romo did well being a gunslinger...

My problem is having a running back that automatically shoots up the middle when the ball is handed to him and we end up getting garbage yards. If our oline can manage to create a good hole for him on a consistant basis, I would be singing a different tune because Zeke would rack up yards quick like...

I would rather us get 10, 20, 30 yards from passing the ball then 2, 3, 4 yards from running. Again, this is just my opinion.
I want to reply to you but not just to you. I see a lot of people wanting this. Here is the major problem with this pass happy philosophy.

When you pass so much these things happen. You either score or you get a turnover or a quick out. No one drives long drives being a pass first team. This puts all kinds of pressure on your defense. Remember the Chip Kelly days?

I postulate here that the reason Dallas defense looks marginal is because Dak and Kellen Moore have become pass happy. Dallas no longer wins the TOP battle. I believe that last year the defense "seemed" so good was in large part to Dallas holding the ball so long, churning out long scoring drives and winning the TOP battle. That is a proven, winning strategy in any era of football.

Dallas has run the ball tokenly and not with passion as they used too. I actually agree with Garrett in that way to run the ball. I just don't agree that we have to run with just 4 or 5 basic plays. We can run the ball from 50 different formations and looks and be hugely creative while still running the ball and controlling the clock. I do believe Dak is being told by his agent to put up bigger numbers so as to force the Jones into signing him err, I mean Dak to a huge contract. Dak needs to tell his agent to shut the heck up and let me focus on winning. But all that pressure has effected Dak and he needs to just be himself, allow Zeke to once again be the transmission that drives this bus and get back to winning football.