Dak Prescott: From Game Manager to Gunslinger

Section446

Reaction score
I think Dak is fine when we’re in the lead or the game is close but when there is no threat of a run and he has to air it out he looks awful.

I think the last couple of weeks put on full display how easy it is for the Cowboys castle to crumble.
You're right, and that's simply not a guy you pay $30+ million a year to.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
It's possible that's a bit of an oversimplification. I can't imagine someone with your history as an honest broker just flat out making things up to prove a point. That's why you're so popular here.

Do you have short term memory loss? Dak has one INT in the Commanders game, it was to Cobb where he threw it high and behind - it went off Cobbs hands and into the hands of the DB. The Green Bay game, it was behind Cooper who had a CB trailing him - Cooper had to twist mid-run to reach back for the ball and we all know what happened.

Not entirely sure what is controversial about what I am saying. Most of you want to put 100% blame on one player, I am saying it's a combination of poor accuracy and bad hands.

Ken

Reaction score
He ranked 17th last year use the whole season. He would have been lower but amari bailed him out. This year against some of the worst teams in the NFL at the time we played them he balled out but against 2 ranked teams how did he do? Hint....he was less than average. There's noway you actually think Dak is the best QB in football, no one is that much of a homer.
No not the best...but he isn't anywhere close to just average.

He is in the conversation for top 5, without thinking about it.

Brax

Reaction score
well...you are talking to the president if the club lol
Not sure of that there are 2 others who might be higher, but you are way up there in the Dak does no wrong love fest club.

Reactions: Ken

Brax

Reaction score
No not the best...but he isn't anywhere close to just average.

He is in the conversation for top 5, without thinking about it.
here we go top 5, against scrubs maybe, at the end of the season he will end up in the middle of the pack like most believe.

Brax

Reaction score
not in the last 10 games. his last ten games lifted him from the bottom to 17.

psssst....he is currently #1
only good games count for Dak, whats wrong with these people.

Wood

Reaction score
One of the positives the past few years people often cite about Dak is that he is someone who doesn't consistently turn the ball over - outside of his fumble problems, 2016 and 2018 had low INT totals. So far in 2019, he hasn't fumbled the ball, but his interception projection is way up. Right now Precott is projected to have over 537 pass attempts, 5,000 yards passing, 35 TDs, and 19 INTs. When going through every QBs 2019 projections, he compares most to Jameis Winston's 2019 projection with 531 pass attempts, 4.387 yards, 35 TDs, and 16 INTs.

I think there are a couple problems here. 1. Kellen Moore's offense seems set up more for the big play rather than taking what the defense gives you 2. Dak is pressing, this could be due to over confidence or desperation to prove he's a Russell Wilson type talent, maybe both? I think the biggest problem here is, we now lost our identity on offense. In the past, we were known as a run first team. What are we now? We a pass first, run first, or a balanced offense? We are lacking an identity now because I don't think we are truly dominating in either the pass or the run, we now have defenses dictating what our offense can do.

The problem with Dak is that he hasn't taken that step and shown he is elite. Yes, his TD numbers are up, but his INT rates are as well. In previous years, his TD totals were low through the air, but so were his INTs. When compared, he's not there with elite QBs, he's there with the Alex Smiths/Mariotas/Winstons of the league. This is not a 30+ million dollar QB play. IF we had a smart owner, he'd be looking at Dak's gamble and seeing he is losing and be using this to his advantage.

Dak is only 2nd to Mayfield for Ints this year. Dallas will go back to their old formula of Dak the game manager and push responsibilities back to Zeke. Its not ideal because teams can take out RB if they want.

CowboyFanInLexKy

Reaction score
I want to reply to you but not just to you. I see a lot of people wanting this. Here is the major problem with this pass happy philosophy.

When you pass so much these things happen. You either score or you get a turnover or a quick out. No one drives long drives being a pass first team. This puts all kinds of pressure on your defense. Remember the Chip Kelly days?

I postulate here that the reason Dallas defense looks marginal is because Dak and Kellen Moore have become pass happy. Dallas no longer wins the TOP battle. I believe that last year the defense "seemed" so good was in large part to Dallas holding the ball so long, churning out long scoring drives and winning the TOP battle. That is a proven, winning strategy in any era of football.

Dallas has run the ball tokenly and not with passion as they used too. I actually agree with Garrett in that way to run the ball. I just don't agree that we have to run with just 4 or 5 basic plays. We can run the ball from 50 different formations and looks and be hugely creative while still running the ball and controlling the clock. I do believe Dak is being told by his agent to put up bigger numbers so as to force the Jones into signing him err, I mean Dak to a huge contract. Dak needs to tell his agent to shut the heck up and let me focus on winning. But all that pressure has effected Dak and he needs to just be himself, allow Zeke to once again be the transmission that drives this bus and get back to winning football.

Great reply. Not to argue with you but my question is how is Brady and Brees able to pull off being pass happy? I know how. It's the offense that is supporting them. See, we don't have that offensive support. We also don't have the offensive support (front line in particular) to create the holes for Zeke to run. That's why he's not getting the yards he should be getting. I'm not blaming Zeke and I'm not blaming Dak. I am blaming our front line. If they played better, Dak wouldn't have to hold on to the ball as long as he is and can throw. But again that goes back to my saying his accuracy needs to improve...

I don't know what the answer is... But I totally understand where you're coming from...

Ken

Reaction score
Not sure of that there are 2 others who might be higher, but you are way up there in the Dak does no wrong love fest club.
He does plenty wrong...most of the things the haters generalize about him are overblown.

Brax

Reaction score
He does plenty wrong...most of the things the haters generalize about him are overblown.
With that attitude you can't be number 1 sorry, enjoy the game this week end.

Ken

Reaction score
only good games count for Dak, whats wrong with these people.
Brax...buddy....everyone acknowledges that he turned a corner after Cooper came last year

That is why we are focused on that. the games i am referencing includes the Colts game.

Not sure of your issue on this.

Brax

Reaction score
Brax...buddy....everyone acknowledges that he turned a corner after Cooper came last year

That is why we are focused on that. the games i am referencing includes the Colts game.

Not sure of your issue on this.
No issue just looking at the twist at times, not everyone agrees he has turned the corner, looked better no doubt but still in the middle tier and a lot more consistent, the book is still being written on Dak.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dak is only 2nd to Mayfield for Ints this year. Dallas will go back to their old formula of Dak the game manager and push responsibilities back to Zeke. Its not ideal because teams can take out RB if they want.

I have a feeling after viewing Zeke's face and the rest of the offense esp the lineman they are DONE carrying Dak.......You are correct though that any running game can be stopped if a good defense desires so.

Keithfansince5

Reaction score
Great reply. Not to argue with you but my question is how is Brady and Brees able to pull off being pass happy? I know how. It's the offense that is supporting them. See, we don't have that offensive support. We also don't have the offensive support (front line in particular) to create the holes for Zeke to run. That's why he's not getting the yards he should be getting. I'm not blaming Zeke and I'm not blaming Dak. I am blaming our front line. If they played better, Dak wouldn't have to hold on to the ball as long as he is and can throw. But again that goes back to my saying his accuracy needs to improve...

I don't know what the answer is... But I totally understand where you're coming from...
Oh I see that too. The OL has not been as good as they should be or have been. That goes for the DL also.

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
No offense but if you are going to be considered a gunslinger a requirement for the job would be to have a rifle for a throwing arm. Dak is carrying a pee shooter. Now if we were talking about his ability to run and even run over some people ya on that front he is a stud, he should or the team should have him do it more, he's very good at it

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
"It's not Dak's fault, everybody on the offensive line is hurt or old. The coaching staff sucks and the receivers can't catch. The running backs are slow and fat. It's a wonder he's keeping us in the games.":eek:

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
"It's not Dak's fault, everybody on the offensive line is hurt or old. The coaching staff sucks and the receivers can't catch. The running backs are slow and fat. It's a wonder he's keeping us in the games.":eek:
I don't get how they've won a game so far...
Touchdown? This team can do that?

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
I don't get how they've won a game so far...
Touchdown? This team can do that?
me either must be super dak. I think he helped an old woman cross the street before the game. Hey, don't forget the game he picked up his cup when he missed the trash can right beside him.