Dak Prescott hasn’t figured out how to use Dez Bryant

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
8 receptions, zero plays made. Dez doesn't have "it" anymore. I don't know what you guys think he is capable of? Dez runs poor routes, gets zero separation, is slow, and now gets pushed around by DB's. I never thought I would see the day when Dez was out muscled by DB's. I think you Dez fans need to serious look and his rapid decline. Dez is at the point where even Bill Belichick wouldn't have a use for him.

Dez is more Hakeem Nicks than Calvin Johnson

I see a guy who is trying to score on every play. And sometimes it feels like he can. And sometimes the offense bogs down and you can go get a drink and come back and not miss much more than a 3 yard run, a Beasley out and a Witten hook.

It’s hard to evaluate right now. He broke some records with romo and looked like one of the leagues best. I don’t think he forgot how to jump over people in 15 months. I think our qb is inaccurate and the offense is vanilla.

They play everything safe bc with zeke they grind teams down and are always in it. Without him we’re seeing we have like 6 good players and the 3 best are out right now.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What’s weird is jerry almost likes to pay these guys so much so they will be considered stars that way

He certainly has "his guys".

I just don't think that things would how well asking Bryant to take a pay cut. He's obviously an emotional guy and that works for and against him.

I can't help but to think he would have an emotional response when asked to take less money and take it personally.

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
He certainly has "his guys".

I just don't think that things would how well asking Bryant to take a pay cut. He's obviously an emotional guy and that works for and against him.

I can't help but to think he would have an emotional response when asked to take less money and take it personally.
Yea you don’t make yourself every defensive backs most heated rival and then get a demotion after a down year. The **** talking on the field would overwhelm him.

I think the guy needs do more cardio and yoga and re-invent his career a bit and get a second act.

hornitosmonster

Reaction score
I see a guy who is trying to score on every play. And sometimes it feels like he can. And sometimes the offense bogs down and you can go get a drink and come back and not miss much more than a 3 yard run, a Beasley out and a Witten hook.

It’s hard to evaluate right now. He broke some records with romo and looked like one of the leagues best. I don’t think he forgot how to jump over people in 15 months. I think our qb is inaccurate and the offense is vanilla.

They play everything safe bc with zeke they grind teams down and are always in it. Without him we’re seeing we have like 6 good players and the 3 best are out right now.
I see a guy who has been non factor since 2014.

Ken

Reaction score
romo alluded to this in the chiefs game. And right now without zeke and no dez Potential for explosive plays our offense just has to be perfect to march down the field.
Sure...it is Dak's fault that Dez is a 1 trick poney and can't do all of the things that someone paid among the highest at his position do.

Makes sense to me.

Zordon

Reaction score
Dez haters are funny. He might not be as good as he was a few years ago, but he's definitely good enough to be the #1 on a super bowl team. Dak has gotten so sloppy with his footwork and throws as the season has gone along. I think he misses having Tony in his ear on the sidelines.

Philmonroe

Reaction score
8 receptions for Dez, zero plays made. What as once a promising career has quickly gone down the down the tubes. I do think it was the injuries and not really the fault of Dez.

Edit: How do you use Dez? He isn't Brown or Julio. He doesn't have the strength a Calvin Johnson had. He doesn't run great routes like Fitz does. Tell me how do you use a Dez Bryant?
Look how Romo used him there is more than enough footage. Some of y'all really have me questioning yalls football knowledge. Some act like Dez is some bum that never made plays.

Skillit

Reaction score
My issue is:

What happened to Cole Beasley?!?!!

He was a great key to opening the down field passing game. Our O line is still good enough to run well enough—- in conjunction with the short / horizontal passing game that CB brings, to allow Dez one on one situations on deep/ jump balls.

I think that is a huge issue. Is it Dak or the coach’s fault for allowing that facet of the o to disappear.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
People simply don’t get it..

Dak’s numbers to TWill even last year on GO ROUTES was a worse percentage than Dez’s on a certain sample size that was run. Dak connected on thirty percentile with Dez and twenty percentile with TWill.

And TWill has speed to stretch the field.

So blaming Dez is absurd, considering how many go routes this guy runs.
These are targets on passes that went at least 15 yards in the air, and gained at least 30 yards:
2016-17
(18 plays in 27 games)
Bryant 6
others 12

2013-14
(23 plays in 34 games)
Bryant 13
others 10

The last two years, we've hit 1.50 of these plays per game, and Dez has one every 4.5 games.

In 2013-14, we hit 1.47 of these plays per game, and Dez had one every 2.6 games.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
What happened to Cole Beasley?!?!!
Teams are doubling Beasley on obvious passing downs this year, and leaving Dez in single coverage.

Beasley
3rd down
9 of 17 65 yd 0 td 1 int 37.6

other downs
17 of 27 130 yd 4 td 0 int 114.1

Cowboysfan1975

Reaction score
Dak isn't the problem here, it's 100% Dez. Thankfully, we won't have to worry about him much longer.
Yeah, because Dez threw three stupid ints yesterday. Dak looked like he had never played QB before at any level. The O line and Dak are the problem with this offense. Our Wrs didn't just turn into garbage this season. Romo worked with them just fine with a garbage o line most of the time.

Skillit

Reaction score
Teams are doubling Beasley on obvious passing downs this year, and leaving Dez in single coverage.

Beasley
3rd down
9 of 17 65 yd 0 td 1 int 37.6

other downs
17 of 27 130 yd 4 td 0 int 114.1

Good info— but if teams are doubling him as much as you say (infer) then either Dez is complete garbage—or Dak is. I don’t think either is true.

Schematically— if we have teams doubling a 5’9” slot WR, how are we not exploiting that?

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
Is it Dez fault that Dak can’t throw more than a check down to anyone else?
On passes at least 15 yards in the air, Prescott's passer rating to Dez is 100 points worse than it is to everybody else.

Bryant 6 of 25 (24%) 146 yd (5.8 ypa) 0 td 1 int 34.7
others 17 of 24 (71%) 486 yd (20.3 ypa) 4 td 1 int 135.4

Dak is just average on targets less than 15 yards, but a little above average when the receiver is not named Bryant.

Bryant 44 of 72 (61%) 415 yd (5.8 ypa) 4 td 2 int 84.0
others 134 of 193 (69%) 1094 yd (5.7 ypa) 8 td 3 int 90.9

Keep in mind that Dez is getting considerably less attention from defenses this year, and Beasley is getting considerably more.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
Why just Dez? It doesn't seem like Dak has found a way to use any of the wide receivers consistently.

Beasley?
Williams?
Bryant?

Essentially just decoys right now. We have no passing game.
Can u explain why every time Dez has missed games the last 2 yrs the passing game has been really good? Dallas is forced to play Dez because of his contract. They made their bed and they have to lay in it now with him.

hornitosmonster

Reaction score
Yeah, because Dez threw three stupid ints yesterday. Dak looked like he had never played QB before at any level. The O line and Dak are the problem with this offense. Our Wrs didn't just turn into garbage this season. Romo worked with them just fine with a garbage o line most of the time.

You guys complained about Romo to Dez as well. Search is your friend. I remember a lot of why doesn't Romo throw jump balls, fades, slants to Dez. You guys blamed Romo when Dez disappeared for weeks, especially during big games.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
Schematically— if we have teams doubling a 5’9” slot WR, how are we not exploiting that?
There's the $64,000 question. Here's targets less than 15 yards in 2016:

Beasley 72 of 94 762 yd 5 td 0 int
Witten 66 of 88 598 yd 2 td 1 int
Bryant 35 of 60 396 yd 4 td 1 int
Williams 35 of 44 351 yd 2 td 0 int

Last edited:

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Can u explain why every time Dez has missed games the last 2 yrs the passing game has been really good? Dallas is forced to play Dez because of his contract. They made their bed and they have to lay in it now with him.

And when Dez returned last year, from week 8-17 we scored 27 points or more in every game other than the Vikings and Giants games. And I have no idea what "2 years" you are talking about, it was 2015 2 years ago - and we had other problems rather than Dez.

Dak's numbers last year when Dez returned actually went up for a good stretch before hitting the Vikings and Giants (Without that deep ball to Dez against the Vikings, we probably lose that game)

You guys are pushing a myth.