Dak Prescott Is Going To Reset The QB Market

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brax

Reaction score
Get a new team is correct. 8 years of constant bashing of the QB, team and owner, yes, it's definitely time to follow another team. Do yourselves a favor and stop being miserable, much less passing your misery daily on to everyone else. It's not healthy.
Guess you don’t get it, as for miserable not I no reason to get upset over what you can’t control, something you should learn, you unfortunately come unhinged at the littlest difference of opinion. We get it you love Daks play, his stats, you love posting videos about his greatness and insulting others intelligence when they don’t agree with your view point even when they may be valid.

CarolinaFathead

Reaction score
Dak is not necessarily the problem here. Yes he’s grossly overpaid relative to his worth on the field, but so is practically every QB in the league (maybe every QB not named Mahomes). The problem is the market that has a hugely distorted and patently absurd bubble relative to salaries for starting QBs. It seems to me the contract that started this insanity was Flacco’s after he won a SB with BAL. Since then, it’s just gotten worse and worse every year.

I guess if one wanted to make an argument that Dak should be cognizant and self aware enough to take less money than the market says he should so that a more talented roster could be rounded out around him, one could then come to some pernicious conclusions about Dak Prescott. However, that is just fan’s talking from their perspective. Humans aren’t chess pieces on a game board. Everybody has their own personal motivations and goals that they form beliefs and actions around. If I controlled things for ten minutes and became King of the Matrix, I’d have Dak take a contract in the $30-$40 million range because that’s what I think he’s worth as an NFL QB relative to his objective impact on the field, but there is no way in hell that dude is going to take a pay cut like that when $60 million is there for the taking.

jay94

Reaction score
I like Dak, but he's not worth resetting the market. Sigh were gonna continue just being good enough to be talked about.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
They definitely don't have to be the best player but they definitely need to show the lights are on.
The state of the NFL these days, all QBs need to do is put up numbers and get you to the playoffs consistently. Justin Herbert got paid and doesn’t win. I mentioned Lamar Jackson he’s had his playoff struggles but reset the market. The Jaguars are going to have to pay Trevor Lawrence and he doesn’t even put up big numbers or win many games. These QBs are getting paid based off their regular season performances. Jackson and Herbert are a combined 2-5 in the playoffs but are in the top four highest paid QBs.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
The state of the NFL these days, all QBs need to do is put up numbers and get you to the playoffs consistently. Justin Herbert got paid and doesn’t win. I mentioned Lamar Jackson he’s had his playoff struggles but reset the market. The Jaguars are going to have to pay Trevor Lawrence and he doesn’t even put up big numbers or win many games. These QBs are getting paid based off their regular season performances.
Every team, every fan wants to have the QB1, so KC fans can rejoice that they do.
Never easy finding that next franchise worthy QB, but at this point, as a Cowboy Fan I'm wiling to roll with it because what we have now is not worth the bubblegum off the bottom of my shoe.
Dak allows me weekend entertainment, I get an excuse to BBQ and beat up on inferior sub 500 teams, I can still do that with Lance, so does not make a difference at this point.
Dak is washed, Dak has been washed, for quite some time now.

CarolinaFathead

Reaction score
The state of the NFL these days, all QBs need to do is put up numbers and get you to the playoffs consistently. Justin Herbert got paid and doesn’t win. I mentioned Lamar Jackson he’s had his playoff struggles but reset the market. The Jaguars are going to have to pay Trevor Lawrence and he doesn’t even put up big numbers or win many games. These QBs are getting paid based off their regular season performances. Jackson and Herbert are a combined 2-5 in the playoffs but are in the top four highest paid QBs.
Honestly, the QB salary situation is making me lose interest in the league more and more every year. That fact that a title strategy has evolved over the last 8-10 years known as the “Rookie Window” that is, at this moment in today’s NFL, a viable strategy for winning a title makes me irritated as hell. In a sane world, teams shouldn’t be trying to hammer home a title and round out their rosters with FA studs while they are paying a rookie QB on the cheap during a three year window BEFORE they have to over pay the rookie QB at the end of his initial contract and subsequently get worse overall. It’s monumentally frustrating from a fan’s perspective. I can’t imagine the frustration it evokes in a NFL GM.

Wildcat711

Reaction score
Wonder how far these haters and trolls will take it.

They are already rooting against any success hoping that will bring change. Next I guess they’ll root for career ending injuries . Maybe root for the team plane to crash . How far are they willing to go.

And then they will hate anyone who supports and or realizes we have little choice in the matter still rooting on our QB and team.

Surely at some point fans here will ignore .
Don't be ridiculous...

I'm sure there is not 1 fan on here that will root for any of those things.

People love to call other fans "haters" eh

You are right in the fact that we have no choice in the matter and will be rooting for whomever is playing for the Boys.

Big_D

Reaction score
GB had 9 offensive drives and scored 6 Touchdowns. Really not hard to figure it out.

This offense hasn't scored a single point in the first quarter in the last 3 playoff losses. I don't even think they crossed the 50 in that time. For a high flying, record breaking offense, you don't see an issue there? Yes the D looked horrendous in the GB game but the offense fails miserably to put any points on the board until it's time to play catch up.

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Honestly, the QB salary situation is making me lose interest in the league more and more every year. That fact that a title strategy has evolved over the last 8-10 years known as the “Rookie Window” that is, at this moment in today’s NFL, a viable strategy for winning a title makes me irritated as hell. In a sane world, teams shouldn’t be trying to hammer home a title and round out their rosters with studs while they are paying a rookie QB on the cheap during a three year window BEFORE they have to over pay the rookie QB at the end of his initial contract and subsequently get worse overall. It’s monumentally frustrating from a fan’s perspective. I can’t imagine the frustration it evokes in a NFL GM.
This is very true. Unfortunately. If you can't find a Mahomes or Burrow, guys that can win with less, then you better find a Purdy and hurry up and lock and load for a title run because once they get that bag, their lack of talent and ability is going to start to shine through as the layers of talent are stripped away in free agency.

Thing about Dak is, he's got enough physical talent and ability...his problem is upstairs. And if he hasn't fixed it by now, it ain't getting fixed with what we can afford to surround him with on the field. And honestly, I don't think it would ever be enough even if we had access to the 85 Bears D and the Greatest Show on Turf O. He'd still fall apart in the playoffs.

Last edited:

Kwyn

Reaction score
Don't be ridiculous...

I'm sure there is not 1 fan on here that will root for any of those things.
Actually, there is one of the long time regulars who recently said they now hate the team and will be rooting for losses every week just so they can come back to the Zone on Monday rub everyone’s nose in it.

Not just random dude who posts once a month either.

And he’s not alone. There are several hard core folks who love to antagonize the hopeless optimist posters.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Every team, every fan wants to have the QB1, so KC fans can rejoice that they do.
Never easy finding that next franchise worthy QB, but at this point, as a Cowboy Fan I'm wiling to roll with it because what we have now is not worth the bubblegum off the bottom of my shoe.
Dak allows me weekend entertainment, I get an excuse to BBQ and beat up on inferior sub 500 teams, I can still do that with Lance, so does not make a difference at this point.
Dak is washed, Dak has been washed, for quite some time now.
It’s obvious your comments about Dak are hate driven. You may be willing to move on and take your chances but I’m not and I know there’s plenty of fans who feel the same way. I’m not moving on until I find a better option. To say he’s washed is ridiculous. He had a terrific 2023 season and came in second for MVP. Yes, he played bad in the playoffs but so did the entire team. I’ve said it many times, and I’ll say it again if it was up to some of you, the Cowboys would never make it to the playoffs because they wouldn’t have a viable QB. As for Lance, it’s laughable that you would be willing to go with him. :rolleyes: He flamed out in San Francisco and hasn’t proven he can win. He’s going to have to beat out Cooper Rush to become the backup. Some of you would take any QB but Dak.

Wildcat711

Reaction score
1-32 entering the 4th when down by 3 to begin
0-38 when down by 8 in the 4th

That's before the 2 wins in the play-offs..

They will be a lot more with Dak.. And neither is Dak playing from behind much against BUM teams in the NFC East and the wildly superior roster... The only reason it's obfuscated is because of 2016, when Dallas ran the offense through Zeke and were a grinding, wear the defense out offense...
If those numbers are true (and Im certainly not saying they aren't.. Im just too lazy to check)

That is very disturbing.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Honestly, the QB salary situation is making me lose interest in the league more and more every year. That fact that a title strategy has evolved over the last 8-10 years known as the “Rookie Window” that is, at this moment in today’s NFL, a viable strategy for winning a title makes me irritated as hell. In a sane world, teams shouldn’t be trying to hammer home a title and round out their rosters with FA studs while they are paying a rookie QB on the cheap during a three year window BEFORE they have to over pay the rookie QB at the end of his initial contract and subsequently get worse overall. It’s monumentally frustrating from a fan’s perspective. I can’t imagine the frustration it evokes in a NFL GM.
The high rising QB salaries will never make me lose interest. Inflation is just part of life. As time goes on the league will continue to make adjustments to help teams pay these QB salaries. They’re going to have to come up with a strategy to combat it because they take up so much cap space.

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
This offense hasn't scored a single point in the first quarter in the last 3 playoff losses. I don't even think they crossed the 50 in that time. For a high flying, record breaking offense, you don't see an issue there? Yes the D looked horrendous in the GB game but the offense fails miserably to put any points on the board until it's time to play catch up.
It was everyone else's fault. Stop being mean to Dak, he's gonna be a dad or something.

CarolinaFathead

Reaction score
The high rising QB salaries will never make me lose interest. Inflation is just part of life. As time goes on the league will continue to make adjustments to help teams pay these QB salaries. They’re going to have to come up with a strategy to combat it because they take up so much cap space.
Well, there is an obvious solution to the problem. Any QB not on a rookie contract could have a portion, or maybe even their entire salary, exempted from the cap. This is only going to get worse without some intervention being done by the league and the league isn’t going to do anything until it starts to affect the bottom line. I might be in a small minority, at the moment, of traditionally rabid NFL fans who are getting frustrated with the current state of things, but the more fans see their teams take it on the chin to grossly over pay an average to above average or good QB because of a hyper-inflated QB market, I don’t think I will be in a small minority for long.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
He was not. Show us your stats.

Come on tough guy..now...is yoru chance to shine.

I suppose...we should define "choker". We could also spell check bona fide...but I will absolutely not hold that against you. Just your definition of "choker"...then we can compare Romo and Dak.

We need your definition of choker, and we need Romo's stats on it. You claim it now put your money where your choking mouth is. Or else...shut it.
Too bad you Romolovers complained to YouTube and had them delete the 5+ videos of Romo's chokeful moments throughout his career. Those videos would have shut you up once and for all.

GINeric

Reaction score
You said that, I didn't.

Well Marino was brought up as some bench mark. He was great, but apparently not better than Trent Dilpher, Nick Foles and Brad Johnson. They won rings and Marino didnt.

I'm just using the "success" measuring stick that others here apply to what a successful quarterback is supposed to be.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Well, there is an obvious solution to the problem. Any QB not on a rookie contract could have a portion, or maybe even their entire salary, exempted from the cap. This is only going to get worse without some intervention being done by the league and the league isn’t going to do anything until it starts to affect the bottom line. I might be in a small minority, at the moment, of traditionally rabid NFL fans who are getting frustrated with the current state of things, but the more fans see their teams take it on the chin to grossly over pay an average to above average or good QB because of a hyper-inflated QB market, I don’t think I will be in a small minority for long.
The big problem it’s hard finding a real consistent QB. It’s the most important position in football and QBs have to do so much more than in the past. The bust rate on QBs is very high so sometimes you have to settle for good because finding a great QB is extremely difficult. It’s a pass happy league and QBs are using their legs more than decades ago. KC would be nothing without Mahomes. You have no choice but to pay QBs. If you let a good QB walk like Washington did with Cousins you’ll be burning high draft picks and missing the playoffs until you find a capable replacement. It’s been seven years since Washington moved on from Cousins and they’re still looking for an answer. Teams don’t want to leave themselves in that position of always having to look for a QB.

Big_D

Reaction score
It was everyone else's fault. Stop being mean to Dak, he's gonna be a dad or something.

When you look that pathetic in the first quarter, you basically know how the rest of the game will go. We see it every year. Some are still searching for scapegoats? That ship sailed. The entire team looked like complete garbage. Including and most importantly.. the QB.

Status
Not open for further replies.