Twitter: Dak Prescott is one of the most high flying passers in the game

Nav22

Reaction score
Eye test is just as credible as stat abuse.

"Lies, damn lies, and then there are stats".
From people who know what they’re seeing, sure.

From low-IQ clowns on this board who couldn’t get a job in sports if their lives depended on it? Not so much.

Every credible ex-player and coach who’s paid to cover this sport believes Dak is a damn good QB.

But the small, low-IQ population on this board. can disagree and be complete idiots all they want. That’s what makes this country “great,” I guess.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
Ahhhh, here we go with this stuff again. All Dak needs is __________________ (fill in the blank) and its super bowl time, baby.
You’re right I was being dumb. 7 teams in 54 years have done it without a top 10 D.

“But there is one statistic common to every champion since 2013 – a stinginess on defense. All ranked in the Top 10 in scoring defense. They did not allow points. That’s been the one statistic universal to the success of all Super Bowl champions – 47 of the 54 winners ranked in the Top 10 in scoring defense. Of the 108 teams that have reached the Super Bowl, 89 of them ranked in the Top 10 in scoring defense.”

Come on man!! Use your head!!! Your hatred is hindering that.

https://www.si.com/nfl/talkoffame/nfl/scoring-defense-the-key-stat-for-super-bowl-contention

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
From people who know what they’re seeing, sure.

From low-IQ clowns on this board who couldn’t get a job in sports if their lives depended on it? Not so much.

Every credible ex-player and coach who’s paid to cover this sport believes Dak is a damn good QB.

But the small, low-IQ population on this board. can disagree and be complete idiots all they want. That’s what makes this country “great,” I guess.
I hear ya. Just want to make sure it's clear that "the eye test": is COMPLETELY why we watch football. Otherwise just read the line on ESPN after the game.

The "eye test" can tell you the pass was completed....but the receiver made a route adjustment that cut yards off the pass. Abusing a stat while ignoring this observation is low-IQ too.

I am not saying dak does or doesn't do this....just an example.

And stats can be good, as long as context and narrative are clear.

DaveRowe

Reaction score
[QUOTE="Nav22, post: 10763078, member: 431
Every credible ex-player and coach who’s paid to cover this sport believes Dak is a damn good QB.[/QUOTE]

Almost all the so-called experts, ex-players, and coaches thought Craig Morton was a damn good QB yet Dallas didn't win a Super Bowl until Landry replaced him with Staubach. I want Dak to be good as much as any Dallas fan but posing how good he is or how great his stats are is not going to get the Boyz back in the Super Bowl.

The Boyz have a tremendous investment in Dak if they give him what he wants for it's not only his salary but the two first-round picks they gave up to get him targets. Thus far I don't see a good ROI.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
The reasoning behind drafting Dak in the first place was to take a guy who could be surrounded by talent and given a chance to win. That was the plan. It was never to draft a guy who could carry you to a championship through his talent and play. It was always a team concept, which means pieces around him on both sides of the ball. None of that works if you can't manage the cap.

Team, fans and Dak all need to understand that if the money doesn't work, then the plan doesn't work and everybody should just move on. It's a simple concept but nobody seems to get it.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
[QUOTE="Nav22, post: 10763078, member: 431

Almost all the so-called experts, ex-players, and coaches thought Craig Morton was a damn good QB yet Dallas didn't win a Super Bowl until Landry replaced him with Staubach. I want Dak to be good as much as any Dallas fan but posing how good he is or how great his stats are is not going to get the Boyz back in the Super Bowl.

The Boyz have a tremendous investment in Dak if they give him what he wants for it's not only his salary but the two first-round picks they gave up to get him targets. Thus far I don't see a good ROI.[/QUOTE]

The difference there is that Coach Landry wasn't afraid to bring in a Staubach to compete. This team would never do that. See, that's the real problem with all of that. Morton was a good QB and he proved that in Denver by getting them to the Super Bowl but Staubach is arguably one of the greatest players to ever play in the NFL. I would hardly compare the two situations. It's not fair to Dak, if nothing else. But I do agree with you, it can't be done if you don't have the resources to build the team around him. I too, believe that.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
The reasoning behind drafting Dak in the first place was to take a guy who could be surrounded by talent and given a chance to win.

That wasn't the plan. They had no plan. They brought in 7 qbs that year for 30 visits. Then in the draft they tried and missed for Paxton Lynch & Conner Cook. Then after Moore got hurt, they tired to sign Foles & McCown. Only when they were out of options did DAK get his chance & the rest is history.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
That wasn't the plan. They had no plan. They brought in 7 qbs that year for 30 visits. Then in the draft they tried and missed for Paxton Lynch & Conner Cook. Then after Moore got hurt, they tired to sign Foles & McCown. Only when they were out of options did DAK get his chance & the rest is history.

I don't agree. They did have a plan and Lynch and Cook were all part of the same plan. A lot of people call out Lynch and Cook but they were better prospects, then Dak. They didn't go to an All Pro team where all the stars lined up. If they had, who knows what might have happened. Dak started from day one that season so all of this, only when stuff amounts to nothing. He was the starter day one of his rookie season.
But the plan was always to draft a guy that you could build around. Romo was never the long term plan but at that point, he was the starter that might get you a championship and the Bridge.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
I don't agree. They did have a plan and Lynch and Cook were all part of the same plan. A lot of people call out Lynch and Cook but they were better prospects, then Dak. They didn't go to an All Pro team where all the stars lined up. If they had, who knows what might have happened. Dak started from day one that season so all of this, only when stuff amounts to nothing. He was the starter day one of his rookie season.
But the plan was always to draft a guy that you could build around. Romo was never the long term plan but at that point, he was the starter that might get you a championship and the Bridge.

I also don't agree, lol. Lynch (especially) & Cook was in the conversation with Wentz & Goff as a top prospects that year. I do not think Dak (who I think was like the 8th QB taken) was ever in the boys long-term plan at QB until he showed out in per-season & his rookie year.

In 2015, we still had a great OL and basically the same skill positions (outside RB). Yet Cassell, Moore, & Weeden (avearge level QBs) could not do anything with it.They needed a talent injection at QB.

If Dak does not perform like he did, I believe Dallas sells out the 2016 draft for a top QB.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I also don't agree, lol. Lynch (especially) & Cook was in the conversation with Wentz & Goff as a top prospects that year. I do not think Dak (who I think was like the 8th QB taken) was ever in the boys long-term plan at QB until he showed out in per-season & his rookie year.

In 2015, we still had a great OL and basically the same skill positions (outside RB). Yet Cassell, Moore, & Weeden (avearge level QBs) could not do anything with it.They needed a talent injection at QB.

If Dak does not perform like he did, I believe Dallas sells out the 2016 draft for a top QB.

That's not how scouting departments work. Every player is scouted and given a grade. If certain players don't fit a given system, then they are removed from the draft board. So if the Cowboys drafted Dak, then he was in their plans, he just wasn't their first option.

The QBs we had, Cassell, Moore and Weeden either didn't fit the offense or just weren't all that talented IMO. Cassell didn't fit, Moore, I believe, was injured and Weeden just sucked. But again, the Cowboys knew that it was time for them to start looking at QB. Tony was not getting younger and he was seeing more and more physical ailment so the team knew they had to take somebody to develop.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
That's not how scouting departments work. Every player is scouted and given a grade. If certain players don't fit a given system, then they are removed from the draft board. So if the Cowboys drafted Dak, then he was in their plans, he just wasn't their first option.

The QBs we had, Cassell, Moore and Weeden either didn't fit the offense or just weren't all that talented IMO. Cassell didn't fit, Moore, I believe, was injured and Weeden just sucked. But again, the Cowboys knew that it was time for them to start looking at QB. Tony was not getting younger and he was seeing more and more physical ailment so the team knew they had to take somebody to develop.

Oh I know that Dak was on the board (he was a pre-draft visit), I just think he was way down.

Cassell, Moore, Weeden, Sanchez, Dalton are exactly the type of QB that many like to compare Dak to. I beliebe he has been demonstrably better that an average QB.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Oh I know that Dak was on the board (he was a pre-draft visit), I just think he was way down.

Cassell, Moore, Weeden, Sanchez, Dalton are exactly the type of QB that many like to compare Dak to. I beliebe he has been demonstrably better that an average QB.

He was, as I said, both of the other two players carried better grades. But to me, that really speaks more to how good the team was that year. Dak was not all world that year. His numbers were actually average at best but because he was a rookie, they were much more impressive. I honestly don't know what other QBs could have done in that offense that year but I would suggest that a lot of QBs could have done really well. That team was really good everywhere else.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
He was, as I said, both of the other two players carried better grades. But to me, that really speaks more to how good the team was that year. Dak was not all world that year. His numbers were actually average at best but because he was a rookie, they were much more impressive. I honestly don't know what other QBs could have done in that offense that year but I would suggest that a lot of QBs could have done really well. That team was really good everywhere else.

Maybe, I just don't see a ton of change between the 2015 roster and the 2016 outside of QB that could make such a difference.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Maybe, I just don't see a ton of change between the 2015 roster and the 2016 outside of QB that could make such a difference.

Oh I do. We were healthy on both sides in 2016 and Dak was here during all TC and Pre-Season and working with the first team a lot. In 2015, we had multiple QBs come in after Tony went down. Matt Cassell wasn't even with the team at the beginning of the season in 2015.