Dak Prescott Not MVP Candidate? QB Left Off NFL Rankings

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Tannenhill and Picket are MVP candidates over Dak last season? I’m not following what you’re saying….
No one said that, but not allowing them a chance is the point. Should we eliminate any candidate who isn’t Mahomes and Lamar, and if a Kyler or a Richardson have massively surprising seasons do we tell them they’re not eligible for MVP votes because TheMarathonContinues
Didn’t approve of it back in May?

QBs who play the full season are the ones in the running for MVP. Reduce that number and the MVP candidate pool gets weaker, and the votes pool more to the guys at the top.

In 2023 Matt Stafford got MVP votes. In 2022 Trevor Lawrence and Geno Smith got MVP votes. Just because they didn’t win doesn’t mean that isn’t a factor. These can impact who finishes first or second or third by how the votes end up getting split between candidates.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
No one said that, but not allowing them a chance is the point. Should we eliminate any candidate who isn’t Mahomes and Lamar, and if a Kyler or a Richardson have massively surprising seasons do we tell them they’re not eligible for MVP votes because TheMarathonContinues
Didn’t approve of it back in May?

QBs who play the full season are the ones in the running for MVP. Reduce that number and the MVP candidate pool gets weaker, and the votes pool more to the guys at the top.

In 2023 Matt Stafford got MVP votes. In 2022 Trevor Lawrence and Geno Smith got MVP votes. Just because they didn’t win doesn’t mean that isn’t a factor. These can impact who finishes first or second or third by how the votes end up getting split between candidates.
So your argument is Lamar Jackson doesn’t win mvp if Kenny Pickett stays healthy?

SackMaster

Reaction score
Not that I care or that sports list really matter, but I got to ask: Was Dak on any NFL MVP Preseason Lists last year?
:huh:

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
We did nothing in free agency to help him. We’re going to be dealing with some young players on the OL including a new center. This could lead to some issues. Our RB situation looks dismal. If we can’t run the ball and we suffer a lot of growing pains upfront things could get ugly, plus we have a tough schedule.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
So your argument is Lamar Jackson doesn’t win mvp if Kenny Pickett stays healthy?
Yes, very plausibly. Do you remember who was MVP front runner in week 13? Look at this:

https://www.espn.com/espn/betting/s...3-futures-betting-odds-super-bowl-mvp-afc-nfc

NFL Most Valuable Player​

Thats odd. Why did that happen? Jalen was having what this board seems to feel was a bad year. How does a bad QB become the entire league’s MVP? Because in that moment, two things were happening: no QB was having a statistical season to distance themselves, and the Philadelphia Eagles were 11-2; the best team in football.

Would you say Lamar Jackson had a better statistical year than Dak? I don’t think that’s true, and I don’t think Baltimore fans even think that’s true. You could even make a roundabout argument that Goff’s or Stroud’s statlines contended with Lamar’s. 4000+ yards passing, league leading interception %? Stroud was awesome. But Lamar won MVP because he was consistent all year while leading the best team in football.

Now did You know that the 10-7 Pittsburgh Steelers swept the 13-4 Baltimore Ravens last year? Thats kind of interesting. But what the Steelers didn’t do was beat the Arizona Cardinals when Mitch Trubisky was applying to be unemployed. Trubisky also got clapped by the Colts. Trubisky lost 21-18 to the Patriots and 20-10 to the Jaguars.

No, Kenny Pickett was not going to get any MVP votes if he started 17 games, but the Pittsburgh Steelers were 9-3 in games he started. They were flat out a better team with him on the field. And they lost a lot of games to notably inferiors teams without him. They could have won a few of those had he played, and if they finish 13-4, they win the division due to the previous Ravens tie-breaker mentioned.

If Lamar Jackson is leading a wild card team, then yes I absolutely believe it’s plausible Kenny Pickett could have significantly impacted the MVP race had he been healthy. Dak, Purdy and McCaffrey would have gotten a lot more votes if Baltimore wasn’t even the best team in their division, let alone the league.

Last edited:

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Yes, very plausibly. Do you remember who was MVP front runner in week 13? Look at this:

https://www.espn.com/espn/betting/s...3-futures-betting-odds-super-bowl-mvp-afc-nfc

Thats odd. Why did that happen? Jalen was having what this board seems to feel was a bad year. How does a bad QB become the entire league’s MVP? Because in that moment, two things were happening: no QB was having a statistical season to distance themselves, and the Philadelphia Eagles were 11-2; the best team in football.

Would you say Lamar Jackson had a better statistical year than Dak? I don’t think that’s true, and I don’t think Baltimore fans even think that’s true. You could even make a roundabout argument that Goff’s or Stroud’s statlines contended with Lamar’s. 4000+ yards passing, league leading interception %? Stroud was awesome. But Lamar won MVP because he was consistent all year while leading the best team in football.

Now did You know that the 10-7 Pittsburgh Steelers swept the 13-4 Baltimore Ravens last year? Thats kind of interesting. But what the Steelers didn’t do was beat the Arizona Cardinals when Mitch Trubisky was applying to be unemployed. Trubisky also got clapped by the Colts. Trubisky lost 21-18 to the Patriots and 20-10 to the Jaguars.

No, Kenny Pickett was not going to get any MVP votes if he started 17 games, but the Pittsburgh Steelers were 9-3 in games he started. They were flat out a better team with him on the field. And they lost a lot of games to notably inferiors teams without him. They could have won a few of those had he played, and if they finish 13-4, they win the division due to the previous Ravens tie-breaker mentioned.

If Lamar Jackson is leading a wild card team, then yes I absolutely believe it’s plausible Kenny Pickett could have significantly impacted the MVP race had he been healthy. Dak and McCaffrey would have gotten a lot more votes if Baltimore wasn’t even the best team in their division, let alone the league.
I suggest just to stop the back and forth.

He's going to keep doing what he's doing regardless how well you explain your reasoning.

IF he reads this he will be like "So Trubisky would be MVP over Lamar?" blah blah blah because you simply mentioned Trubisky.

That's his thing and you're wasting your time.

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
Since when is MvP determined by your opponents you play lol?
It is determined by the quality of your play and how important you are to your team. When it matters most Mr. Prescott goes missing. That's his MO. We have seen this every time he plays a half way decent defense, can't operate with any degree of consistency or competence. Over 8 years under 3 different OCs the consistent criticism of the offense is that it's predictable and stale. Jeez I wonder why?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score

If Lamar Jackson is leading a wild card team, then yes I absolutely believe it’s plausible Kenny Pickett could have significantly impacted the MVP race had he been healthy. Dak, Purdy and McCaffrey would have gotten a lot more votes if Baltimore wasn’t even the best team in their division, let alone the league.
But the argument you defended was the mvp race was weak. If Purdy won instead of Lamar that makes it less weak?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
It is determined by the quality of your play and how important you are to your team. When it matters most Mr. Prescott goes missing. That's his MO. We have seen this every time he plays a half way decent defense, can't operate with any degree of consistency or competence. Over 8 years under 3 different OCs the consistent criticism of the offense is that it's predictable and stale. Jeez I wonder why?
I mean this predates Dak. Choking in the playoffs is what we’ve done for 28 years. To put that in perspective….Dak is 30 lol.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
He has no running game, a ton of rookies protecting him on the line, and no improvements to shore up that defensive line so he doesn’t have to play from behind. I wouldn’t put money on him either.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
But the argument you defended was the mvp race was weak. If Purdy won instead of Lamar that makes it less weak?
All of the QBs playing more games makes it less weak. Purdy wouldn’t have won if Rodgers had the best record in the league. Or Cousins got the Vikings to the playoffs pretty much by himself. Cousins was on pace for 5000 yards, 40 TDs. If Minnesota finished 10-7, 11-6, he would have been MVP.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
All of the QBs playing more games makes it less weak. Purdy wouldn’t have won if Rodgers had the best record in the league. Or Cousins got the Vikings to the playoffs pretty much by himself. Cousins was on pace for 5000 yards, 40 TDs. If Minnesota finished 10-7, 11-6, he would have been MVP.

He was also on pads to go 8-9 or 9-8 as well….when has a quarterback won 10 games did won MVP? Be for real……

So guys get hurt every year but 2024 specifically was the year that the class got weak….smh.