Twitter: Dak Prescott on Westwood One Radio - 01/28/2020

Kwyn

Reaction score
I am self employed but that’s an idiotic argument to make because if I were working for a huge corporation they would not have a salary cap like the Cowboys do

I’m also not saying he should take less money

I’m saying if he breaks the bank (which is his right and I think he will) then that will make it much more difficult for the team to put enough talent around him for us to win a SB because he is a limited player AND the team has a salary cap. But if that happens I don’t want to hear from Dak homies how he ‘just wants to win’ or ‘is a great leader’

If he does that then we know he’s all about the money
It is not ridiculous. It is completely appropriate. If you don’t think “huge corporations” have salary caps then you are crazy. It’s called a fixed labor budget.

You’re self employed. You have a labor budget, even if it’s just you. You make decisions on how to spend that budget.

Your entire argument that this core element of running a business is not comparable is silly.

As to leadership, If your sole criteria for being a “leader” is sacrificing your own financial well being for others, then there are very few “leaders” around. This is, after all, America

you’re just wrong on this one and speaking out of emotion. Hate Dak, or any other player. Rail against them, say the team should cut them, whatever. Engage personal bias if that suits you.

Ensuring generational wealth for your family is showing the absolute essence of leadership in the area where it most counts.

Kwyn

Reaction score
Im fine with not getting him back.. Some other dumb team can pay 35-40 dollars for a QB who throws for 20ish TDs.
Well, I hope you will support Cooper Rush next season as your starting QB

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Well, I hope you will support Cooper Rush next season as your starting QB

Well im not against being the worst team in football next year because we will get Trevor Lawrence.

I think we can easily replace Dak in free agency with a bridge player. The guy isn't a difference maker at his position so QB's like him are really a dime a dozen.

Dallas has a rock solid foundation that will allow any decent QB to be Dak Prescottish.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well im not against being the worst team in football next year because we will get Trevor Lawrence.

I think we can easily replace Dak in free agency with a bridge player. The guy isn't a difference maker at his position so QB's like him are really a dime a dozen.

Dallas has a rock solid foundation that will allow any decent QB to be Dak Prescottish.
Are you really? You would endure a 0-16, 1-15 season just to not have Prescott and get a shot at Lawrence? Did you happen to catch him in the champs game when LSU used a pro style press coverage? He is no guarantee and neither is Burrow, Tua or Herbert.

What if you were a season ticket holder? Would you like sitting there watching that and paying for it?

visionary

Reaction score
It is not ridiculous. It is completely appropriate. If you don’t think “huge corporations” have salary caps then you are crazy. It’s called a fixed labor budget.

You’re self employed. You have a labor budget, even if it’s just you. You make decisions on how to spend that budget.

Your entire argument that this core element of running a business is not comparable is silly.

As to leadership, If your sole criteria for being a “leader” is sacrificing your own financial well being for others, then there are very few “leaders” around. This is, after all, America

you’re just wrong on this one and speaking out of emotion. Hate Dak, or any other player. Rail against them, say the team should cut them, whatever. Engage personal bias if that suits you.

Ensuring generational wealth for your family is showing the absolute essence of leadership in the area where it most counts.

the fact is that was an idiotic argument

you didn’t take salary cap into account

get over it

visionary

Reaction score
The cap was put in place so owners could keep most of our money. Get rid of the cap and give the players the money....they are why I watch.

again, read my post then try to answer the question that I asked not some preconceived notion or bias you have

why would a fan of a team with a salary cap want a particular player to be paid at a premium even though it would limit the team in acquiring other talent?

ItzKelz

Reaction score
again, read my post then try to answer the question that I asked not some preconceived notion or bias you have

why would a fan of a team with a salary cap want a particular player to be paid at a premium even though it would limit the team in acquiring other talent?
I posted what I wanted to post.....just as you did.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Go for the gold, it's not his job to manage their cap for them. They decided to pay a DE 21M and a RB 15M, why should he cut them a deal? If that's me, I take advantage of stupid people with their money.

Stephen actually said this.......it's not players' responsibility to manage the cap. It's his responsibility to figure out how to keep players they wanna keep.

Kwyn

Reaction score

Many Zone posters like to present themselves as some type of salary cap experts. When they can be bothered to explain their “plan” beyond “Sign Dak for 20m” they typically have a big bag of nothing. No actual understanding of the cap or finance. Hell, many times they are too lazy to actually do basic arithmetic.

We should all try to not even bother debating the topic with them because it ends up feeling like trying to explain google to an armadillo.

Kwyn

Reaction score

mai, your master plan is to intentionally tank the 2020 season?

And once we do, you hope no one else was better at tanking than us?

And if we prove to have better tanking skills and get #1 we hope Lawrence will be elite? What if he doesn’t look so good next season?

I know this is just message board navel gazing but come on, the entire idea is just silly

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score

Hopefully Lawrence finds some accuracy. He couldn’t hit water if he fell out of the boat in the playoffs.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Are you really? You would endure a 0-16, 1-15 season just to not have Prescott and get a shot at Lawrence? Did you happen to catch him in the champs game when LSU used a pro style press coverage? He is no guarantee and neither is Burrow, Tua or Herbert.

What if you were a season ticket holder? Would you like sitting there watching that and paying for it?

Yes.. I want to acquire and pay real talent.

I don't want to stack the odds against us by paying a mediocre player like he's one of the best just because he's a QB.

My goal is championships.. Not making moves that continue mediocrity. Either be great or be terrible. Don't be in-between.

SackMaster

Reaction score

:clap:"Salary Cap" = Budget

I don't know how so many people fail to grasp this simple idea and make idiotic statements like "corporations don't have a salary cap". Yes they do, but instead of calling it a Salary Cap and have it have it released to the public, it is called a Budget and unless it is a publicly traded company, is usually kept from the public.

Just to try and make it simple:
Let's say a NFL team brings in $1 billion a year in revenue
They are allowed to budget up to $200 million a year to the Player department and this is publicly known
But that does not mean they can spend $800 million a year on the Coaching department as they still need to:
Pay bills
Pay the administrative staff
Pay the equipment staff
Pay the cheerleading staff
Pay the front office staff
Pay for travel
Pay for hotels
Pay for security

And that still does not cover what the executives make or what the owner is able to pocket.
So while the limit to what all those other staff/sections can spend are not referred to as their "Salary Cap", they still have to adhere to their respective budgets.
Then to add as the poor leader comment due to Dak not willing to take less. I say this, the next time your boss try's to spend more of the Company's "Salary Cap" for employees and increase your pay, tell them "No thanks, I rather be a good leader."

You won't be any better a leader for it, but you will look extremely stupid and be that much poorer in the process. Good luck with that.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
mai, your master plan is to intentionally tank the 2020 season?

And once we do, you hope no one else was better at tanking than us?

And if we prove to have better tanking skills and get #1 we hope Lawrence will be elite? What if he doesn’t look so good next season?

I know this is just message board navel gazing but come on, the entire idea is just silly

My master plan this season would be to acquire Brady and make an attempt to move up for Tua or Herbert in this upcoming draft.

If Dallas got Brady it would send shockwaves through the sports world.

It would instantly raise the bar.. Players wouldn't have time to cry about Dak leaving with Brady walking through the door.

We wouldn't be stuck in a bad contract for the next 5 years.

Brady in a dome with Zeke, our oline, and our receivers would do well.

Kwyn

Reaction score
My master plan this season would be to acquire Brady and make an attempt to move up for Tua or Herbert in this upcoming draft.

If Dallas got Brady it would send shockwaves through the sports world.

It would instantly raise the bar.. Players wouldn't have time to cry about Dak leaving with Brady walking through the door.

We wouldn't be stuck in a bad contract for the next 5 years.

Brady in a dome with Zeke, our oline, and our receivers would do well.

I could get behind that. I think you and I divided previously how difficult it would be to get above Miami, but it would be a nice plan.

the issue is that Brady is unlikely to leave NE. He could stay there and the Pats could draft Fromm for the future and he could still compete for w Super Bowl for the next two years. I just do t see what’s in it for him.

And then there is, of course, the reality of the situation.
  • Jerry, Stephen, McClay and McCarthy all love Dak
  • We’ve drafted around Dak
  • Planned free agency around Dak
  • Hired a head coach based on Dak
  • Our HC took the job largely due to Dak
  • Our HC has built the offensive coaching staff around Dak
  • Our HC Is retooling his scheme and it’s language to help Dak

It seems kinda silly how much energy we’ve put into debating QB when there really has never been but one way this thing was headed

The ship has long since sailed on any plan that doesn’t include Dak and the sooner his deal is done the sooner we can all get back to the reality of what’s in front of us.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
what about his first contract ?

The reality is that Brady understood that if he wins Championships the money will be there and the best way to win championships is to have people around you that can deliver and Brady is a much much better QB than Dak and needs a lot less support to win

Dak wants his money
I understand that but then don’t tell me he’s all about winning because his taking 40 mill will seriously impact our ability to put taken to around him and will prevent us from taking the next step

Brady is better? LOL Is that really your point?

Even the great Brady needed the best HC of all time. And plenty of players around him.

He had the #1 D in the NFL this year and didn't make it out of the first round.

100% Dak is about winning. Any guy is going to want his money. And he also never asked for 40 million. In fact, he keeps saying the opposite.

We have 80 million in salary and more the following year. Your fears are paranoid and unfounded.

This team would go in the toilet without Dak. You would be lucky to find another Dak in 10 years.