Dak Prescott wasn't the problem against the Houston Texans

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
Seriously, Trouty? That pass was very catchable. Thompson simply dropped it. Dak was lucky to keep from getting sacked.
If Dak had moved up through the defenders, and not dropped his head, he would have had a better shot at a more accurate throw. And there would have been no "almost sack" as well. As soon as the pocket closes in on him, he goes into ball protection mode, rather than trying to advance the play. This dates back to last year, and I don't believe it's an OL issue.

Vegas_Cowboy

Reaction score
A lot of his "Harry Houdini" plays are due to his own limitations. He gets scared if he "senses" any pressure. Take the 4th qtr pass to Thompson that was low, due to him breaking down in the pocket - Dak merely needed to step forward through the pass rush and keep his eyes on the play, and he would have had an easier time delivering that pass to an open Thompson -- instead -- he felt pressure, lowered his head, got happy feet, finally moving forward and looking up, but at the point the defender had him and took him down as he threw the ball, Dak's throw suffered because of it and the throw was low. All he had to do was step through the rush, he had an opportunity.

I was very high on Dak after his rookie season, and hopeful going into this season, but I've seen enough. I was gonna wait for the whole season, but he's regressed, or plateau'd depending on how you look at it, and I've seen enough. He lacks poise, and before all the mechanics that we want in him could ever (if ever) materialize, it doesn't matter if our QB is frightened before every snap. A franchise QB must have confidence in the pocket.

Couldn't have said it any better. Everyone was rooting for Dak but it's become obvious he folds under pressure and is not the answer at QB.

That and his accuracy his suspect at best.

Legend

Reaction score
I am not talking WR play. I am talking can a QB make the throw. He can either do it consistently, occassionally, rarely, or not at all.

Doing it once means it is at least rarely, but says nothing more.

How about WRs who can make plays similar to this once Dak throws the ball to them?

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
If Dak had moved up through the defenders, and not dropped his head, he would have had a better shot at a more accurate throw. And there would have been no "almost sack" as well. As soon as the pocket closes in on him, he goes into ball protection mode, rather than trying to advance the play. This dates back to last year, and I don't believe it's an OL issue.
Respectfully, you don't notice the OL issues because you (along with most in here) probably never played on the Oline and excelled at it. It takes experience (and excelling at it) to notice the mistakes and poor play being committed by this Oline. This Oline got totally manhandled all game long against the Texans Dline, and there were reasons why.

DallasDW00ds0n

Reaction score
Dak army is out. Sorry but Daks trash.

We all know Jerry is about to pay the guy 100 Mil for 10 years so IDK why we even have people getting upset. If theres anything weve learned from Jerry-Garrett era its that Jerry is willing to sit, and lose, and wait for the "turnaround" just because he likes their character.

Cowboys are turning into this weird family oriented/delusional team instead of being results driven.

If anything happens, Linehan and Moore will be fired if Dak continues this trend but it wont be Dak.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
Respectfully, you don't notice the OL issues because you (along with most in here) probably never played on the Oline and excelled at it. It takes experience (and excelling at it) to notice the mistakes and poor play being committed by this Oline. This Oline got totally manhandled all game long against the Texans Dline, and there were reasons why.
Our OL isn't the best, it isn't the worst. Dak is making a case for being amongst the worst starters in the league (not counting the rooks). Andy Dalton and Joe Flacco are playing better. QB play across the league is seeing an uptick, yet we aren't.

The OL is probably a tad better than average (which is no doubt a let down), Dak is a whole lot lower than average, imo. Coaching is horrid. Skill positions are bad. Still, Dak's psyche during the game, when he's under center, scares me. Sorry brother, just my .02 :)

Legend

Reaction score
You're not getting it.

Once does not equal consistent. Period.

If you do not upgrade the Cowboys WRs and TEs and improve pass protection; the offense will consistently be mediocre... unless they play defenses that cannot stop the run.

Crosbie

Reaction score
this isnt just about last night . Try the last 12/13 games . Excuses have run out

Yea, I know that Dak isn’t a top tier QB but I honestly don’t think our current Oline would make Brady / Rodgers / Mayfield etc look much better. To reiterate, I’m not defending Dak - but you can’t say it’s his fault and not name any other names which is what the majority of posts (I’m not stating you implied this) have been about today.

T.O is that you?

Sorry, I don’t know what that means.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Our OL isn't the best, it isn't the worst. Dak is making a case for being amongst the worst starters in the league (not counting the rooks). Andy Dalton and Joe Flacco are playing better. QB play across the league is seeing an uptick, yet we aren't.

The OL is probably a tad better than average (which is no doubt a let down), Dak is a whole lot lower than average, imo. Coaching is horrid. Skill positions are bad. Still, Dak's psyche during the game, when he's under center, scares me. Sorry brother, just my .02 :)
No problem brother.

When Michael Irvin, Troy Aikman, Nate Newton and several other ex-Cowboys come out and call out the receivers, that says a lot. When Romo comes out and calls out Linehan and Garrett while supporting Dak, that says a lot.

pansophy

Reaction score
It was quite obvious that Houston's defense was all in on stopping Elliott. Zeke did everything he could.
There is absolutely NO RESPECT from opposing defenses when it comes to Dallas' passing game.
This places way too much pressure on the offensive line.
Yes, this receiving corps to me is the WORST in team history. PATHETIC!
However, DAK PRESCOTT CANNOT THROW THE FOOTBALL!
He is an over glorified Quincy Carter.

Romo made guys like Laurent Robinson and Patrick Crayton look like bonafide NFL receivers. Romo will be primarily responsible putting Jason Witten in the Hall of Fame. Only Aikman threw the football more accurately in Cowboys history.

Is Prescott primarily responsible for this loss? You bet your sweet bippie!
I liked Quincy Carter, but the only NFL quality he had was escapability. I get why so many people love Dak. He is the complete package - totally NFL quality - except for his throwing mechanics which cause balls to be inaccurate especially those at intermediate distance to the outside.

It may prove to be a fatal deficiency, and I'm okay to ride out the season to see if he can improve because if he does then we really have something.

But to look at the results on the field for the past 12 games and to believe that it doesn't rest almost entirely on QB play is foolhardy. Sure under ideal conditions Dak can play in this league. Unfortunately so few games can achieve this level of comfort and his deficiencies passing make it far to easy for defenses to make conditions difficult for the offense.

pansophy

Reaction score
How about WRs who can make plays similar to this once Dak throws the ball to them?

Making an occasional amazing catch is not sustainable as an offensive unit. That catch needs to 1 time a game, not a couple of times a drive.