Dak Prescott wasn't the problem against the Houston Texans

Vegas_Cowboy

Reaction score
Respectfully, you don't notice the OL issues because you (along with most in here) probably never played on the Oline and excelled at it. It takes experience (and excelling at it) to notice the mistakes and poor play being committed by this Oline. This Oline got totally manhandled all game long against the Texans Dline, and there were reasons why.

You have an average of 2.8 seconds to read a defense, anticipate someone who's going to get open and make an accurate throw in the NFL, despite your Oline.. Dak can't do that on a consistent basis. He's not a starting QB.

We can make excuses for Dak all day long but he's just not a starter. I'd keep him as a backup but that's all he is. A backup who was thrust into a starting position.

Defenses caught up to him after his rookie season and he can't adjust. It's obvious by now..

Asklesko

Reaction score
Nothing worse than Romo apologists. Romo had his chance. 10 long years.

I must heartily and completely and absolutely disagree with you there. Romo at least gave us 10 long years of exciting and incredible football in which we were always just an amazing athletic Romo play away from winning the game, and if we lost overall during that time, it's largely because of the GM and the HC.

Dak on the other hand is worse than Quincy Carter but we still have to put up with his braindead defenders who will stop at nothing from making us suffer through more bad throws and bad football.

Legend

Reaction score
I must heartily and completely and absolutely disagree with you there. Romo gave us 10 long years of exciting and incredible football in which we were always just an amazing athletic Romo play away from winning the game, and if we lost overall during that time, it's largely because of the GM and the HC.

Dak on the other hand is worse than Quincy Carter but we still have to put up with his braindead defenders who will stop at nothing from making us suffer through more bad throws and bad football.

Tony Romo had exciting and terrible games (some highlights are below)...

Rayman70

Reaction score
A lot of his "Harry Houdini" plays are due to his own limitations. He gets scared if he "senses" any pressure. Take the 4th qtr pass to Thompson that was low, due to him breaking down in the pocket - Dak merely needed to step forward through the pass rush and keep his eyes on the play, and he would have had an easier time delivering that pass to an open Thompson -- instead -- he felt pressure, lowered his head, got happy feet, finally moving forward and looking up, but at the point the defender had him and took him down as he threw the ball, Dak's throw suffered because of it and the throw was low. All he had to do was step through the rush, he had an opportunity.

I was very high on Dak after his rookie season, and hopeful going into this season, but I've seen enough. I was gonna wait for the whole season, but he's regressed, or plateau'd depending on how you look at it, and I've seen enough. He lacks poise, and before all the mechanics that we want in him could ever (if ever) materialize, it doesn't matter if our QB is frightened before every snap. A franchise QB must have confidence in the pocket.
step forward? Did you not see that play? If he steps forward he steps into a helmet of a defender that's about a foot away from him. That's why the unorthodox pass.

pansophy

Reaction score
Look at these. Upgrade the receiving unit for more of the same.

He can throw the go route. That's why we are using it more this year to try to stop teams from clogging the middle. Unfortunately the go route takes time so teams are blitzing and forcing Dak to throw the ball quickly and accurately.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
step forward? Did you not see that play? If he steps forward he steps into a helmet of a defender that's about a foot away from him. That's why the unorthodox pass.
He had to step forward to make the pass, regardless. He should have done it before the defender latched on to him. He got scared, lowered his head, defender has time to get ahold of him. Should have stepped up. He's large enough to fight off hand grabs and clutches from the opposing DL. He gets scared when he senses any of that, let alone feels it, and bottles up. Like that play.

It's not an easy play to make, there are only, perhaps, 10 QBs in the league who can do that consistently. But ours isn't one. We need a guy who can make those plays. Hopefully finding a franchise QB (along with **** canning the staff) is at the top of the list going forward.

Rayman70

Reaction score
He had to step forward to make the pass, regardless. He should have done it before the defender latched on to him. He got scared, lowered his head, defender has time to get ahold of him. Should have stepped up. He's large enough to fight off hand grabs and clutches from the opposing DL. He gets scared when he senses any of that, let alone feels it, and bottles up. Like that play.

It's not an easy play to make, there are only, perhaps, 10 QBs in the league who can do that consistently. But ours isn't one. We need a guy who can make those plays. Hopefully finding a franchise QB (along with **** canning the staff) is at the top of the list going forward.
;)Guess its in the eye of the beholder.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
If you do not upgrade the Cowboys WRs and TEs and improve pass protection; the offense will consistently be mediocre... unless they play defenses that cannot stop the run.

Again. This is about whether a QB can make a throw (or really anyone doing anything) consistently. I don't know why you bring up WRs and TEs. They do not factor in whether or not a QB can make a throw consistently.
We're not talking about WR performance, offensive performance, we're talking about ONE throw, and the meaning of the word "consistency."

Ddisco22

Reaction score
Dak Prescott wasn't the problem against the Houston Texans

• By Sam Quinn
  • 2h ago • 2 min read
Some day, historians are going to look at the Week 5 loss that the Dallas Cowboys sustained against the Houston Texans and think that Dak Prescott played a bad game. The evidence is there. The Cowboys scored only 16 points. Prescott threw two interceptions and gained only 208 yards through the air. His quarterback rating was 66.4. Based on his poor play in the four weeks prior, it wouldn't be a stretch to just tack one extra bad game onto his ledger. And that is a shame, because for once, Prescott was not remotely the problem against the Texans.

Those two interceptions Prescott threw? Both tipped... by his own receivers. Granted, they weren't perfect throws, but most throws aren't. It is reasonable for a quarterback to expect his receivers to be able to, you know, stretch. Prescott didn't throw those balls 10 yards over their heads. He missed slightly. But when you miss at all with this group of Cowboys receivers, you miss entirely.

Speaking of missing, Prescott made the Texans do quite a bit of that. He was pressured relentlessly in this game, but he was sacked only twice. He escaped perhaps half a dozen sacks based on nothing more than body control and athleticism.

(Continue reading):

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/dak-prescott-wasnt-the-problem-against-the-houston-texans/

Good read
www.dallascowboys.com/news/scout-s-eye-where-were-the-passing-breakdowns

Crosbie

Reaction score

Yea, interesting read indeed. I feel like it’s trying to be overly positive about what was a very disappointing performance, but I needed to read some positive news today after being white-washed with nothing but ‘sack Dak and Garrett’ threads all day.

Whilst he’s tipping his hat to Texans players as well, kinda wondering why nobody is giving Clowney a mention. The dude was beating his mark all too easily on almost every one of our drives and making Dak panic all too often.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
I also believe playcalling is the bigger culprit. I generally form my ideas from past history. We've made almost every QB aside from Romo look like trash, and several have proven to be OK backups elsewhere. Dak is not playing well, but we're not helping him.

Yes we aren't helping him at all. I do agree he still needs work with accuracy and mechanics. But that can also be coached. He is not only getting coaching help. But he also not given the chance to succeed with the atrocious playcalling.

Ddisco22

Reaction score
Yea, interesting read indeed. I feel like it’s trying to be overly positive about what was a very disappointing performance, but I needed to read some positive news today after being white-washed with nothing but ‘sack Dak and Garrett’ threads all day.

Whilst he’s tipping his hat to Texans players as well, kinda wondering why nobody is giving Clowney a mention. The dude was beating his mark all too easily on almost every one of our drives and making Dak panic all too often.
Yeah, he was playing lights outs , he a Watt killed our line at critical times, the right times.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score

The Texans played us well on defense. They schemed to shot the gaps on every run play. That's because they saw that we kept pulling everyone causing holes for defenders to run thru.

I fault the playcalling and design of the offense to Garrett and Linehan for this. Just make your oline block straight up and see what happens. Make it simple stupid.

kskboys

Reaction score
The Texans played us well on defense. They schemed to shot the gaps on every run play. That's because they saw that we kept pulling everyone causing holes for defenders to run thru.

I fault the playcalling and design of the offense to Garrett and Linehan for this. Just make your oline block straight up and see what happens. Make it simple stupid.
And for Bog's sake, use a FB to clear the LB out of the hole.

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Dak supporters, please list all of the starting QBs in the league that you feel Dak is better than. I made a thread requesting this but none of you guys showed up to do it, and I'm genuinely curious to see who you guys place him ahead of.

nobody

Reaction score
Sorry AC, Dak's been part of the problem. He is not the main problem and isn't even close to the main problem, but he needs to do some serious work. I believe in him still and think he can get it done, but not under Garrett and Linehan, who both need to go NOW.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
And for Bog's sake, use a FB to clear the LB out of the hole.

That would be great except the FB we basically traded Smith to the Raiders for is not that guy. Olawale is more Richie Anderson than Moose Johnston. He's a decent receiver and can fill in at RB in a pinch.. but he aint gonna schlobberknocker nobody outta the hole. If we want that guy we will probably have to convert another LB.