Dak Prescott within reach of becoming Dallas Cowboys All Time Franchise Passing Leader

InPhiltraitor

Reaction score
Sort of turns something that should be celebrated into a rather dubious distinction. With all those yards you'd think there wouldn't be all those poor playoff performances.
Ranks right next to having the career record for hitting homeruns in the minor league. Great...but, is it really?

GoldenR

Reaction score
Kirk Cousins is tearing up the league with passing yards and was a league leader last year until injury. So ....................let's revisit all you haters that have destroyed Cousins even as far back as the Skins yet Dak is throwing for more yards in this league than................................... The narrative you Dak backers spill is becoming more comical each post.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm 57 years old, but I think I could do pretty well in today's NFL.
PDmJLBr.gif

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Kirk Cousins is tearing up the league with passing yards and was a league leader last year until injury. So ....................let's revisit all you haters that have destroyed Cousins even as far back as the Skins yet Dak is throwing for more yards in this league than................................... The narrative you Dak backers spill is becoming more comical each post.
I’m confused there are Kirk Cousin haters lol?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
No....im pretty straight-forward. I dont play both sides.
Use stats when its convenient....or "team game" as battering rams. Its willy nilly half the time.

In this case, i appreciate daks passing prowess. It does take the whole offense to make it happen. A bad oline or inept receivers make it harder to do.

Right?
Yeah you may not play that particular game but you are definetly playing a game. The emphasis on “team game” is this kick you are on now and I don’t get it. It takes a team to win a championship.

12+88=7

Reaction score
As the 2024 season is about to get started, Dak Prescott is getting ready to start his 9th season as QB of the Dallas Cowboys. If one takes a look, Dak Prescott is only 4,725 passing yards away from becoming the All Time Dallas Cowboys Career Passing Leader.

Mod Edit: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/dal/career-passing.htm

Screenshot-20240717-095200-Chrome.jpg

Not bad after only starting 9 seasons, considering it took Tony Romo 10 seasons as a starter to become the current franchise passing leader, along with Troy Aikman before having taken 12 seasons.

What do you think? Will Dak Prescott become the Dallas Cowboys Career Passing Leader by the end of this upcoming 2024 season?
We have covered this ground.

Romo has 127 starts. Prescott has 114 starts. You don't go by years, you go by starts.

To equal Romo, Prescott needs 4725 yards in 13 more starts. Anything over that it would have taken Prescott longer to achieve the mark.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Really?

So, pass protection, quality receivers, solid complimentary threats, coaching/play calling/scheme all have nothing to do with the stats the individual QB racks up?

I thought you "knew football"?
I do. You don't. Pretty clear and obvious.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
We don't need individual accomplishments. We need team championships. I find this thread irrelevant.

InPhiltraitor

Reaction score
So the current Cowboys QB could be the franchise passing leader, when the league has never been more pass happy in it's history?
So... he should be penalized for that?
Don't think BDC is penalizing Dak. Just simply stating that the current trend tips the scale in favor of QB's potentially throwing for more yards.

To add context to it, just look at the last ten seasons. 7 of the last 10 years have yielded the most passing attempts per game - league wide. An even better stat is completion percentage in that same span. From '14 thru the '23 NFL QB's have enjoyed their highest completion percentage since the stat has been kept. Not one other year could crack that top 10. Bottom line - it's a good time to be a QB in league that loves big numbers and hates defense.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
We have covered this ground.

Romo has 127 starts. Prescott has 114 starts. You don't go by years, you go by starts.

To equal Romo, Prescott needs 4725 yards in 13 more starts. Anything over that it would have taken Prescott longer to achieve the mark.
Half true.

You go by passing attempts more than starts because every game is not going to carry the same amount of attempts (opportunities) to pass the football. Romo is ahead with 462 more career passing attempts than Dak. Regardless, Dak has a very good chance to become the Cowboys all time franchise passing leader this year.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Don't think BDC is penalizing Dak. Just simply stating that the current trend tips the scale in favor of QB's potentially throwing for more yards.

To add context to it, just look at the last ten seasons. 7 of the last 10 years have yielded the most passing attempts per game - league wide. An even better stat is completion percentage in that same span. From '14 thru the '23 NFL QB's have enjoyed their highest completion percentage since the stat has been kept. Not one other year could crack that top 10. Bottom line - it's a good time to be a QB in league that loves big numbers and hates defense.
That's not a fair assessment. Some teams pass more than others, so it's unfair to clump the Cowboys with the more pass-heavy teams of the past 10 years.

For example, Troy Aikman by far has more passing attempts (1989 - 2000) than Romo (2006 - 2016) and Dak (2016 - 2023) have had. This information contradicts the notion the Cowboys teams of the Romo and Dak eras have had an advantage simply for being part of a more pass happy era.

shabazz

Reaction score
I think the bigger question is; " Will he still be here in 2025 to get it?"

As to this year, if the running game goes AWOL will MM go pass happy?......I mean, even Jameis Winston put 5k yards one of his seasons.

If Dak doesn't get it I just hope that it's not because of an injury

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
There are numerous variables contributing to statistics for every player in every sport--team oriented or not. Are you stating or suggesting Dak Prescott's statistical accomplishment is an exception in regard to passing?
The NFL is a team sport where one can gather both team statistics and individual statistics.