Dak Prescott within reach of becoming Dallas Cowboys All Time Franchise Passing Leader

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
There's no "I" in team, if I recall correctly, and this would be a nothing burger individual stat.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I think the bigger question is; " Will he still be here in 2025 to get it?"

As to this year, if the running game goes AWOL will MM go pass happy?......I mean, even Jameis Winston put 5k yards one of his seasons.

If Dak doesn't get it I just hope that it's not because of an injury
Winston would’ve got more credit for those 5k yards if he didn’t throw 30 interceptions to get it lol.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The NFL is a team sport where one can gather both team statistics and individual statistics.
That is true but every player does not accumulate statistics equally within a team environ. On any given passing play:
  • the quarterback must account for the defensive formation both pre- and post-snap
  • offensive lineman must maintain their blocks
  • a running back may or may not remain in the backfield to assist with pass protection
  • receivers must run proper routes
  • defensive backs cannot interfere with the pass by neither design nor chance
  • the intended receiver must catch the ball
  • the quarterback must deliver a catchable pass
  • the receiver catching the pass will gain or loss x-number of yards
  • weather may impact the delivery of the ball
  • officials may or may not negate a reception at any given point of the game
Above is an incomplete list of variables that affect every quarterback in all phases of the sport of football. They are what @Vtwin was alluding to.

No quarterback, including Dak Prescott plays football and accumulates individual statistics in a vacuum. Heck. A golfer is faced with variables that affect whether they finish under or over par every round--and that is a single player based sport.

It is an oversimplification to say or imply Dak Prescott is on the verge of becoming the Dallas Cowboys all-time passing leader essentially for his effort alone. That principal did not apply to his predecessors. It will not apply to his successors. The oversimplification does not apply to the position in any way imaginable.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah you may not play that particular game but you are definetly playing a game. The emphasis on “team game” is this kick you are on now and I don’t get it. It takes a team to win a championship.
It does. Never said differently.

IN THIS CASE....Dak doesn't throw the ball to himself or block the defense.

You know full well AC is 0n 24/7 duty defending dak against almost any form of criticism. When he can use any stats...even ones that haven;t happened yet (OP) he bashes you with that. When it's time to take accountability in losses...he will bash you with "team game".

Now...what "game" do I play? Disagreeing with you?

Okay...guilty! :)

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
It does. Never said differently.

IN THIS CASE....Dak doesn't throw the ball to himself or block the defense.

You know full well AC is 0n 24/7 duty defending dak against almost any form of criticism. When he can use any stats...even ones that haven;t happened yet (OP) he bashes you with that. When it's time to take accountability in losses...he will bash you with "team game".

Now...what "game" do I play? Disagreeing with you?

Okay...guilty! :)
When it comes to team accomplishments that’s different. This is strictly passing yards which is a quarterback stat.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That is true but every player does not accumulate statistics equally within a team environ. On any given passing play:
  • the quarterback must account for the defensive formation both pre- and post-snap
  • a running back may or may not remain in the backfield to assist with pass protection
Above is an incomplete list of variables that affect every quarterback in all phases of the sport of football. They are what @Vtwin was alluding to.

No quarterback, including Dak Prescott plays football and accumulates individual statistics in a vacuum. Heck. A golfer is faced with variables that affect whether they finish under or over par every round--and that is a single player based sport.

It is an oversimplification to say or imply Dak Prescott is on the verge of becoming the Dallas Cowboys all-time passing leader essentially for his effort alone. That principal did not apply to his predecessors. It will not apply to his successors. The oversimplification does not apply to the position in any way imaginable.
Well Done DE. My compliments!

Wish I could spell it out perfectly like that. Not sure it would have helped...but I wish I did! :)

It's not take away any accomplishments or "hate"...it's just the way it is.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score

So when Romo became the Cowboys franchise passing leader, you Romoholics had no problem?

Now that Dak is on the verge of shattering his passing record, y'all are up in arms trying to diminish and discredit Dak's potential franchise record accomplishment?

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
So when Romo became the Cowboys franchise passing leader, you Romoholics had no problem?

Now that Dak is on the verge of shattering his passing record, y'all are up in arms trying to diminish and discredit Dak's potential franchise record accomplishment?
Ah, the old fallback, Romo. lmao. Give it up, DE schooled you so leave Romo out of this, he has been gone for years now yet he is still in your head.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Sorry...I disagree to some extent. I'm with DallaEast. Takes a lot of parts to make that stat happen...QB most important but not the only one.

Dak was in big trouble and Jerry got him Amari Cooper.

See?
Dak was in trouble because his best receiver was Allen Hurns.

And that’s literally every position. Corners aren’t corners without good players around them. Running backs aren’t running backs without an offensive line. No one says well discount Emmitt’s yards be sure he had a great line. The rules change when it involves Dak.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
As the 2024 season is about to get started, Dak Prescott is getting ready to start his 9th season as QB of the Dallas Cowboys. If one takes a look, Dak Prescott is only 4,725 passing yards away from becoming the All Time Dallas Cowboys Career Passing Leader.

Mod Edit: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/dal/career-passing.htm

Screenshot-20240717-095200-Chrome.jpg

Not bad after only starting 9 seasons, considering it took Tony Romo 10 seasons as a starter to become the current franchise passing leader, along with Troy Aikman before having taken 12 seasons.

What do you think? Will Dak Prescott become the Dallas Cowboys Career Passing Leader by the end of this upcoming 2024 season?
10 Years if you count coming in mid-season in 2006. And playing 4/5 games in two other seasons (one of those is offset by one of Dak's season). Also, longer seasons as of late.
Looking at game started, Prescott has about 13 games to get more yards and TDs...during a heavier passing era that Romo only saw briefly.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
10 Years if you count coming in mid-season in 2006. And playing 4/5 games in two other seasons (one of those is offset by one of Dak's season). Also, longer seasons as of late.
Looking at game started, Prescott has about 13 games to get more yards and TDs...during a heavier passing era that Romo only saw briefly.
Anything post greatest show on turf is a passing league.