Dak Prescott within reach of becoming Dallas Cowboys All Time Franchise Passing Leader

Redsfan_83

Reaction score
Passing yards is a dumb stat, IMO. See, Dak could throw a 10 yard pass and the receiver would run it for another 50 yards and Dak gets to say he passed for 60 yards. Yeah, sure.
take it a step further..."garbatge time"

McKDaddy

Reaction score
What I’m saying is when guys get Hall of Fame inductions and All Pro these individual stats are what they use to gauge a players accomplishments. Passing yards have always been a statistic guys are gauged based on. When a guy gets sacked 70 times they blame the offensive line. Even if the quarterback is the reason for those sacks.

Just curious but do you consider rushing yards and receiving yards to be individual stats?
I understand the ball handlers get credited for those numbers as their accomplishments but it's only the simplest form of bookkeeping not a true reflection of who did what to make it possible.

nhcowboysfan

Reaction score
We have covered this ground.

Romo has 127 starts. Prescott has 114 starts. You don't go by years, you go by starts.

To equal Romo, Prescott needs 4725 yards in 13 more starts. Anything over that it would have taken Prescott longer to achieve the mark.
That means that Dak has to pass for just over 363 yards per game over those 13 starts. Too bad for him they won't all be against the Giants and Commanders.

shabazz

Reaction score
That means that Dak has to pass for just over 363 yards per game over those 13 starts. Too bad for him they won't all be against the Giants and Commanders.
Oh yes, my friend. The collective defenses of the Ravens, Steelers,Browns and Bengals are just waiting on Rayne to shred they defenses, lol

InPhiltraitor

Reaction score
That's not a fair assessment. Some teams pass more than others, so it's unfair to clump the Cowboys with the more pass-heavy teams of the past 10 years.

For example, Troy Aikman by far has more passing attempts (1989 - 2000) than Romo (2006 - 2016) and Dak (2016 - 2023) have had. This information contradicts the notion the Cowboys teams of the Romo and Dak eras have had an advantage simply for being part of a more pass happy era.

Screenshot-20240717-095200-Chrome.jpg
To gear this toward Dak, which wasn't my initial intent, let's make it a fair assessment then. To be fair, lets check to see if the Cowboys have been passing as much as the other teams during Dak's 8-year tenure.

Dak started 114 games and attempted 3,873 passes. So he has averaged 33.97 passes per game.
In the last 8 Years the the average pass attempts/game in the NFL are 35.7, 34.2, 34.5, 34.9, 35.2, 34.4, 33.3, & 33.7. That's '16 thru '23. That's an average of 34.49.
Looks as if it's fair to say the Cowboys have been tossing it around pretty much on par with the rest of the league in the past 8 seasons unless .52 pass/game is a point of contention.

If you want to compare attempts/game between the three QB's you mentioned. Aikman averaged 28.58, as previously stated - Dak averages 33.97, and if you factor out the games Tony is listed as playing but didn't see the field or attempt a pass (26 games), he averaged 33.35. Just based on those numbers (full disclosure - regular season only as I can't review stats all day) from the limited sample you could conclude that the ball is in the air more than it used to be. Also, you need to account for the higher completion rates today thanks to the rules hand-cuffing how teams CAN'T play defense.

I'm sure around the league QB's that have been with an organization for an extended length of time are chewing-up numbers just as Dak is. I'm not knockin' the guy, just say he and his current contemporaries are playing in the opportune time period to generate statistics.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dak was in trouble because his best receiver was Allen Hurns.

And that’s literally every position. Corners aren’t corners without good players around them. Running backs aren’t running backs without an offensive line. No one says well discount Emmitt’s yards be sure he had a great line. The rules change when it involves Dak.
Thank you for making my point.

The rules dont change fir dak what in the sam heck are you doing?
Sam hurd isnt getting dak 4000 yards. Amari and ceedee...can! Its not just dak.
Thats the point.
See?
If you dont i give.:huh::rolleyes:

nhcowboysfan

Reaction score
I've said numerous times that all QB, WR, TE, even RB's & team statistics are being inflated due to changes in the game not individual talent. So, I'm diminishing everyone equally.
Consider that in the 1970's, a WR getting 60-70 receptions was considered a great year. Steve Largent's best year was 79 receptions; for Pearson it was 62 receptions; Joiner 72, Alworth 73, Swann 61, Biletnikoff 61. Last year, CeeDee had 135 receptions. Since the advent of fantasy football and NFL rule changes that placed a priority on keeping QB's safe in the pocket, offensive stats have sky rocketed. Getting 100+ receptions in today's NFL is pretty routine for the top wide receivers and tight ends.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What I’m saying is when guys get Hall of Fame inductions and All Pro these individual stats are what they use to gauge a players accomplishments. Passing yards have always been a statistic guys are gauged based on. When a guy gets sacked 70 times they blame the offensive line. Even if the quarterback is the reason for those sacks.

Just curious but do you consider rushing yards and receiving yards to be individual stats?
In my recollection nobody here talked about random hof qbs. Please show us those threads and maybe we can clear it up for you.
Emmitt gets credit for his yards....but we also know that was a nasty o line....they deserve credit too. And emmitt will be the first to do it.

See yet?

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Consider that in the 1970's, a WR getting 60-70 receptions was considered a great year. Steve Largent's best year was 79 receptions; for Pearson it was 62 receptions; Joiner 72, Alworth 73, Swann 61, Biletnikoff 61. Last year, CeeDee had 135 receptions. Since the advent of fantasy football and NFL rule changes that placed a priority on keeping QB's safe in the pocket, offensive stats have sky rocketed. Getting 100+ receptions in today's NFL is pretty routine for the top wide receivers and tight ends.
There are a number of ways to look at the league to see that it has changed dramatically in favor of offenses. Not sure why anyone would still be questioning it.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I understand the ball handlers get credited for those numbers as their accomplishments but it's only the simplest form of bookkeeping not a true reflection of who did what to make it possible.
I don’t disagree with that. But it’s never been a issue before lol.

HungryLion

Reaction score
I will find it funny if he gets 1 yard less than Romo after this season and then signs elsewhere in the offseason.

Praxit

Reaction score
I could care less who rules Stat Mountain. Aikman led us to 3 SB's, Staubach to 2 and Danny White at least got us to 3 NFC championship games. Dak and Romo, not so much.
amen, brother. I always thought Danny was way under appreciated. The guy was clutch.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Romo had Sam Hurd, Laurent Robinson, Miles Austin, Patrick Crayton, etc., for years, average receivers who faded quickly on the team or elsewhere. Austin and Robinson should thank Romo for making them multimillionaires.
Austin was a damn good player. And you forgot Romo had that hall of Famer Terrell Owen’s…..Terry Glenn…there was never a year where Romo best receiver was a third string receiver.

nobody

Reaction score
And yet he consistently chokes in the playoffs. Go individual stats!

gtb1943

Reaction score
Austin was a damn good player. And you forgot Romo had that hall of Famer Terrell Owen’s…..Terry Glenn…there was never a year where Romo best receiver was a third string receiver.
Just how many games did TO, Glenn and Austin Play with romo? Might want to consider that. Dez was really the best WR Romo had when he was at his peak. Who was excellent.
Dak started out with Dez and now has CeeDee