Dak Prescott within reach of becoming Dallas Cowboys All Time Franchise Passing Leader

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Yes, he had hamstring issues with the team. So what? That didn’t mean he wasn’t anything more than a decent receiver who didn’t do anything elsewhere when he was healthy.

*** does Roy Williams have to do with anything? He also was on his last legs. Everyone thought it was a terrible trade by JJ at the time and were proven right. You’re reaching with your ridiculous implication from it.
He never got healthy those hamstring issues followed him throughout his career.

I'm not reaching with anything.....

If you want to say Romo made guys like Patrick Crayton better? Fair enough. I think its a silly argument but whatever.

But its odd that he couldn't make Roy Williams "better" who was a 1st round talent and was productive prior to coming here but he made Miles Austin a undrafted guy and Laurent Robinson who had concussions problem "better".

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
Because Hurns at that stage of his career was a number 3 receiver at best.
You're contradicting yourself. You stated passing yards is entirely an individual stat, but now you're saying that accumulating passing yards is at least somewhat dependent on who is playing WR.

Which is it?

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Romo had Sam Hurd, Laurent Robinson, Miles Austin, Patrick Crayton, etc., for years, average receivers who faded quickly on the team or elsewhere. Austin and Robinson should thank Romo for making them multimillionaires.
Funny that you would leave out TO who put up 3500 yards and 38 TDs in 3 seasons with Romo. Terry Glenn also had a 1000 yard season with Romo.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
You're contradicting yourself. You stated passing yards is entirely an individual stat, but now you're saying that accumulating passing yards is at least somewhat dependent on who is playing WR.

Which is it?
Where did I say it was entirely a individual stat?

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
To gear this toward Dak, which wasn't my initial intent, let's make it a fair assessment then. To be fair, lets check to see if the Cowboys have been passing as much as the other teams during Dak's 8-year tenure.

Dak started 114 games and attempted 3,873 passes. So he has averaged 33.97 passes per game.
In the last 8 Years the the average pass attempts/game in the NFL are 35.7, 34.2, 34.5, 34.9, 35.2, 34.4, 33.3, & 33.7. That's '16 thru '23. That's an average of 34.49.
Looks as if it's fair to say the Cowboys have been tossing it around pretty much on par with the rest of the league in the past 8 seasons unless .52 pass/game is a point of contention.

If you want to compare attempts/game between the three QB's you mentioned. Aikman averaged 28.58, as previously stated - Dak averages 33.97, and if you factor out the games Tony is listed as playing but didn't see the field or attempt a pass (26 games), he averaged 33.35. Just based on those numbers (full disclosure - regular season only as I can't review stats all day) from the limited sample you could conclude that the ball is in the air more than it used to be. Also, you need to account for the higher completion rates today thanks to the rules hand-cuffing how teams CAN'T play defense.

I'm sure around the league QB's that have been with an organization for an extended length of time are chewing-up numbers just as Dak is. I'm not knockin' the guy, just say he and his current contemporaries are playing in the opportune time period to generate statistics.
Funny how you didn't take into account...

Troy had the league's best running attack throughout the 90s, hence why Emmitt is the NFL's all time rushing leader, so Troy's offense did not need to pass the ball anywhere near as much as Dak and Romo had to.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Yeah to say you can just suit up and go out there at 57...depending on your "guaranteed money" is insulting lol. I get people want to convince me the league is "watered down" but its still a professional league lol.

Exactly, and it just shows the ignorance of just how good the players are. It may look easy on TV. But that's because they make it look easy. Even the worst player in the NFL would probably be in the best player on any pickup team that the people in this chat would put together.

leeblair

Reaction score
Good luck remembering all the verbage in an NFL offense on a given drive.
It's not nearly as complicated as it sounds. Each part of a play call refers to a different position and set.
Once you understand each set of calls for a position it's much more simple.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
10 Years if you count coming in mid-season in 2006. And playing 4/5 games in two other seasons (one of those is offset by one of Dak's season). Also, longer seasons as of late.
Looking at game started, Prescott has about 13 games to get more yards and TDs...during a heavier passing era that Romo only saw briefly.
Why didn't you deduct the same for Dak? He's lost more than a season's worth of time due to injuries as well. We can both play that game.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Which QB had the league's best rushing attack (and all time rushing leader) throughout his tenure while the other one hasn't?
Between 2016 and 2023, the Dallas Cowboys were fifth in the nfl in total rushing yards

Between 1989 and 2000, the Dallas Cowboys were 12th in the NFL in total rushing yards

leeblair

Reaction score
Dolphins didn't get rings but it wasn't because of Marino.
I disagree.
I think Shula and Marino went all in on the passing game and ignored the run.
I think Shula actually thought Marino could do it himself.
I think Jimmy Johnson failed in Miami because he didn't want to replace Marino.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Ah, the old fallback, Romo. lmao. Give it up, DE schooled you so leave Romo out of this, he has been gone for years now yet he is still in your head.
Nope. I'm holding back from correcting DE out of respect. Still stand with what is obvious...you Romoholics never complained or tried to dimish this franchise passing leader accomplishment when Romo became the Cowboys franchise passing leader. Y'all were happy and gloating. Totally the opposite for Dak. Pathetic.