Dak Prescott within reach of becoming Dallas Cowboys All Time Franchise Passing Leader

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Between 2016 and 2023, the Dallas Cowboys were fifth in the nfl in total rushing yards

Between 1989 and 2000, the Dallas Cowboys were 12th in the NFL in total rushing yards.
It was by far a more rushing league during the 90s compared to the last 15 years, yet Aikman is the Cowboys franchise passing leader in "attempts".

Nice try Eagles fan.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
It was by far a more rushing league during the 90s compared to the last 15 years, yet Aikman is the Cowboys franchise passing leader in "attempts".

Nice try Eagles fan.
I’m not picking sides (not even sure there are sides, people just arguing for the sake of arguing), but with how unbelievably pedantic this thread has gotten… just calling out the factually incorrect arguments.

RonWashington

Reaction score
Passing records are pretty much a joke anymore, they are going to be broken again and again with the way the NFL has handicapped the D and the rules are very lopsided in favor of the O

Staubach played in a 14 game league. Dak started out in a 16 game schedule now 17 and Goodfella and the 32 families sitting around the pie want 18 . As a Cowboy fan let me know when the Pokes are winning SB 6 . Passing stats …..meh

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Staubach played in a 14 game league. Dak started out in a 16 game schedule now 17 and Goodfella and the 32 families sitting around the pie want 18 . As a Cowboy fan let me know when the Pokes are winning SB 6 . Passing stats …..meh
Its funny everyone keep saying they don't care for passing stats but all of you guys came into a thread titled "passing stats". :laugh:

InPhiltraitor

Reaction score
Funny how you didn't take into account...

Troy had the league's best running attack throughout the 90s, hence why Emmitt is the NFL's all time rushing leader, so Troy's offense did not need to pass the ball anywhere near as much as Dak and Romo had to.
Was taken into account when I stated in a previous thread that 7 of the last 10 years have had the most passing attempts per game. I’m not talking just a Cowboys thing, I’m viewing it from a league wide perspective.

My intent is just to present info. conveying QB’s have more opportunities to accumulate yardage today than in years past. Couple that with the last decade of top completion percentages and I’m not certain how you could dispute that we’re in a window where collecting yards as a QB shouldn't be easier than ever.

In Aikman’s time others ran the ball more as well, they just weren’t as good at it as the best rushing team I’ve seen.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
As the 2024 season is about to get started, Dak Prescott is getting ready to start his 9th season as QB of the Dallas Cowboys. If one takes a look, Dak Prescott is only 4,725 passing yards away from becoming the All Time Dallas Cowboys Career Passing Leader.

Mod Edit: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/dal/career-passing.htm

Screenshot-20240717-095200-Chrome.jpg

Not bad after only starting 9 seasons, considering it took Tony Romo 10 seasons as a starter to become the current franchise passing leader, along with Troy Aikman before having taken 12 seasons.

What do you think? Will Dak Prescott become the Dallas Cowboys Career Passing Leader by the end of this upcoming 2024 season?
AC, it is quite amazing when you step back and see the records and start going over in your mind all the QBs that have been franchise worthy over the decades, I entertain anyone that wants to put the list together, but just saying I also can look at that list and see how grabbing stats increases your standing.

The line is very thin AC between being historically proven franchise level player vs being just a stat collector.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
AC, it is quite amazing when you step back and see the records and start going over in your mind all the QBs that have been franchise worthy over the decades, I entertain anyone that wants to put the list together, but just saying I also can look at that list and see how grabbing stats increases your standing.

The line is very thin AC between being historically proven franchise level player vs being just a stat collector.

If the Cowboys had some semblance of a rushing attack during the Dak era's playoffs, the Cowboys would have had way better playoffs results. Look up those playoffs games stats. The biggest issue that has hurt the Cowboys' playoffs success since 2016 has not been Dak. It's been the serious lack of a rushing attack.

Football 101

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
He never got healthy those hamstring issues followed him throughout his career.

I'm not reaching with anything.....

If you want to say Romo made guys like Patrick Crayton better? Fair enough. I think its a silly argument but whatever.

But its odd that he couldn't make Roy Williams "better" who was a 1st round talent and was productive prior to coming here but he made Miles Austin a undrafted guy and Laurent Robinson who had concussions problem "better".
Deflecting again I see.

I never said Romo made them better. I said Romo played with a bunch of average receivers, two of whom his play with them made them a lot of money. Also, I clearly gave an answer to why Williams did not play well with the Cowboys.

You seriously have poor reading comprehension skills.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Deflecting again I see.

I never said Romo made them better. I said Romo played with a bunch of average receivers, two of whom his play with them made them a lot of money. Also, I clearly gave an answer to why Williams did not play well with the Cowboys.

You seriously have poor reading comprehension skills.
Why didn't he make more money for Roy Williams?

And since I guess you think Romo made them millions you must think Dak made Amari, Schultz, Cedric Wilson some millions too no? Or is this a "deflection"?

Anytime someone has their back against the wall they start to go to personal attacks and bring up comprehension skills. Nice try but not falling for your trap.

plymkr

Reaction score
numbers are meaningless now and then; Dan Fouts had HUGE numbers back then and how many rings did he get? Marino broke records right and left and how many rings did he get?
Like I said, like him or hate him his numbers are impressive. I’m not a Dak fan but I would argue he may be, or is, the best regular season QB we’ve ever had.

Personally that doesn’t do it for me because I want post season success.

Roger and Troy- franchise best post season QBs. I personally give the nod to Troy as the best post season QB.

Romo and Prescott- franchise best regular season QBs but the worst post season QBs. That can be backed up by numbers and the eye test.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
It's not nearly as complicated as it sounds. Each part of a play call refers to a different position and set.
Once you understand each set of calls for a position it's much more simple.

Sure, but then there's a lot of other stuff, the protection has to be right. You have to know presnap where the blitz is, what coverage the defence is in, what your audibles are, and then get the ball out quickly before you get crushed. And then get up after that.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
It's not nearly as complicated as it sounds. Each part of a play call refers to a different position and set.
Once you understand each set of calls for a position it's much more simple.

What does "Trips Left, Slippy 951 Fade” mean?