Twitter: Dak rank 32nd (worst) first down passing percentage on 3rd down

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Does this OneCoolCustomer guy understand the difference between first, second, and third down?

Brees' numbers are off (only one I've checked so far).

48 pass attempts, 7 sacks, 5 rushes. And 24 first downs. That's 40%. Actually, I forgot to add the TDs, so that's a total of 27 FD/TD or 45%.

Dak has 56 pass attempts, 11 sacks, 8 rushes. And 21 FD/TD. That's 28%. Still bad, and still off from the provided stats. And nowhere close to Brees.
TDs are usually included in 1st down numbers. Let me check...yes, they are. So you were right the first time.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
TDs are usually included in 1st down numbers. Let me check...yes, they are. So you were right the first time.

Okay, I wasn't sure on that. That drops their %s a little. Both are still higher than the graphic. I'm going to guess that the others are probably off as well. Hopefully, they aren't as far off as Brees' numbers though.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
We have to do a better job with this stat. No question Dak has his issues but there are lots of variables also not helping (drop passes, 3rd and long, OL breakdown etc). Either way, I'm guessing a large part of our offensive problems are part of this stat

Which again points to Cole Beasley and the TE.

Dak Prescott goes as those 2 guys go.

Wasting resources on X's and Z's is pointless when all they will do is run off coverage.

punchnjudy

Reaction score
This site gives a quick breakdown of passing stats in 3rd and short, medium, and long. Doesn't include rushing stats in the rankings though.

http://stats.washingtonpost.com/fb/leaders.asp?range=NFL&type=Passing&rank=048&year=

Looks like Dak is 11th in pass attempts on 3rd and 10+ per PFR. Obviously, those rankings change when you factor in everyone's rush attempts and sacks. For those who don't already know, here's the link where you can plug in different scenarios:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/play-index/play_finder.cgi

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
We have to do a better job with this stat. No question Dak has his issues but there are lots of variables also not helping (drop passes, 3rd and long, OL breakdown etc). Either way, I'm guessing a large part of our offensive problems are part of this stat

....LINE.
Dak has been sacked 23 times through seven games, which translates to 53 sacks over the course of a full season. But yet some of our fanbase toss him under the bus each and every week as though he's the entire Dallas Cowboys team & it's all his fault. I'd guess it's probably the same fanbase that dished Romo every week with his great OLINE. :rolleyes:

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
This site gives a quick breakdown of passing stats in 3rd and short, medium, and long. Doesn't include rushing stats in the rankings though.

http://stats.washingtonpost.com/fb/leaders.asp?range=NFL&type=Passing&rank=048&year=

Looks like Dak is 11th in pass attempts on 3rd and 10+ per PFR. Obviously, those rankings change when you factor in everyone's rush attempts and sacks. For those who don't already know, here's the link where you can plug in different scenarios:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/play-index/play_finder.cgi

Thank you

zerofill

Reaction score
....LINE.
Dak has been sacked 23 times through seven games, which translates to 53 sacks over the course of a full season. But yet some of our fanbase toss him under the bus each and every week as though he's the entire Dallas Cowboys team & it's all his fault. I'd guess it's probably the same fanbase that dished Romo every week with his great OLINE. :rolleyes:

Well to be fair... a lot of those sacks are on Dak himself...

Proof

Reaction score
This is the clumsiest thread title I’ve seen in some time

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
well what do you expect, "everybody is holding dak back".. smh
Ya there holding him back all that greatness in Dak and the "Other" guys are doing him in!!!
Dang shame ....Jerry Cut them all now !!!!o_O

Bob-Lillys-War

Reaction score
Isn't this part of what Kellen Moore needs to coach ?!

I mean how pathetic is this?!, Honestly , having kellen moore help him improve dak ! hilarious .