Dak said it best regarding Austin

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Been called worst things. At this sight I have been called a homer, kool aid drinker, hater a joker, a smoker a midnight toker. Makes no difference to me. I like Dallas getting Austin on this 1 year deal and if the Cowboys can get him playing to the level many felt he was capable of then he has a chance to get a good deal next year. Ball is in his court and I'm pulling for him

Same here. If he succeeds, it’s best for everyone.

Dre11

Reaction score
What would you expect the starting QB of the Cowboys to say about his new WR?

"You know what, I like Austin, but he's probably nothing more than a 4th WR type and gadget type player.............."

He's been in the league for 5 years, never once showing anything that would closely resemble the type of player he was projected to be. He's had two different offensive schemes with the Rams, including the last one which by most accounts is a very good system run by a bright young offensive mind.

At this point, it's show me status for Austin for me. Prove it.

Nothing would make me happier and make this team better than if Austin turned into that Top 10 WR that he was projected to be 5 years ago.

Playing for the lowly Rams all those years under Fisher, who has shown anything there? He got 1 year with McVay,

DOUBLE WING

Reaction score
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...tavon-austin-becomes-a-complete-receiver/amp/

He is not just a gadget player.

I honestly don't believe the rams gave Austin a fair chance to be the complete player he is and I believe they will regret letting him come to Dallas.

After seeing Sean McVay's offense in Los Angeles last year, and comparing that to what Garrett and Linehan trotted out in Dallas, I have a hard time believing they know something he doesn't.

But we'll see.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
After seeing Sean McVay's offense in Los Angeles last year, and comparing that to what Garrett and Linehan trotted out in Dallas, I have a hard time believing they know something he doesn't.

But we'll see.

Rams leading receiver was Gurley and the Rams had no 1000 yard WR. They ran the ball and used a lot of short passes. Dallas does it and gets accused of dinking and dunking McVay does it and he is somehow a guru? Big difference for the Rams success is a defense who produced 48 sacks and 18 ints

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Rams leading receiver was Gurley and the Rams had no 1000 yard WR. They ran the ball and used a lot of short passes. Dallas does it and gets accused of dinking and dunking McVay does it and he is somehow a guru? Big difference for the Rams success is a defense who produced 48 sacks and 18 ints

Their offense still went from worst in 2016 to first in 2017.

Those results are undeniable.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
and Dallas was the 5th ranked offense in 2016 and? Garrett nor Linehan got credit for that it was all the players it Was Zeke. Well it was all Gurley. Hell if our critics can play that game why I can't I? lol

I guess you missed the part where they went from worst to first. In McVay's first season. As I recall, Garrett and Linehan got more than enough credit for that offense. An offense stocked with Pro Bowlers and first round picks up and down the roster.

The only one "playing games" here is you, trying not to give credit where credit is obviously due.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I guess you missed the part where they went from worst to first. In McVay's first season. As I recall, Garrett and Linehan got more than enough credit for that offense. An offense stocked with Pro Bowlers and first round picks up and down the roster.

The only one "playing games" here is you, trying not to give credit where credit is obviously due.

Sorry I don't recall that, I recall anytime this team has produced we have many who will give credit to Rowdy over Garrett and Linehan. Rams got Gurley back and they produced add to that the defense produced turnover which gives offense more possession to have success. Austin felt he was not used to his full potential and I guess we will soon find out if he was right or just sour grapes on his part

Sydla

Reaction score
Playing for the lowly Rams all those years under Fisher, who has shown anything there? He got 1 year with McVay,

Elite talents can typically show out even under bad coaches.

And everyone else seemed to improve under McVay in just that one year, how come Austin didn't?

Just MO, but I think people are banking way too much on the misused angle with Austin thinking that he's suddenly going to turn into that elite playmaker people thought he might be 5 years ago when drafted.

I suspect the Cowboys, themselves, don't even have the expectations for Austin that some of our fans do.

SoupcanSam

Reaction score
Their offense still went from worst in 2016 to first in 2017.

Those results are undeniable.

Just because a coach leans on a players talents to get by doesn't make them a genius.

And the rams leaned heavily on Gurley running and passing wise. It funny how Garrett never received the same praise while zeke carried the offense on his back but McVay is just the offensive mastermind.

in fact I believe McVay would be average at best without a great RB.

jrumann59

Reaction score
The rams treating him more of a RB was one of the dumbest things they could have done when it comes to someone his size.

He is not built to take that kind of a pounding. I believe that contributed some.
Except that is all he has played, High school, college and pros. He is a Maryland local, he lit up the local high school highlight reels with his dazzling ability with the ball in his hand, he did again in college. Being a running back and then transitioning to "WR" is not an overnight process. And to expect him to be NFL high level WR at this point in his career when he has mostly his size working against him. If used right he can have some electric plays but expecting him to be DJax or even DJax light people are fooling themselves, he is not nearly polished enough to be a down field receiver. His height will be his limit he is giving away at least 3 inches on average to DBs. If linehan thinks sending him on 20+ yard routes is the best use of his abilities he will disappoint in Dallas.

jrumann59

Reaction score
I believe the Chiefs provided the blueprint on how we can use Austin. Look at how they use Tyreek Hill. Hill splits out wide on occasion, takes the bubble screen on occasion, runs the jet sweep.

They are pretty similar in size and speed.
So with gimmick and gadget plays for a player that supposedly is not a "gimmick or gadget" player?

jrumann59

Reaction score
This is the epitome of an unintelligent reply. Completely ignore every single one of the legitimate points made and just attack the messenger. It's lazy and intellectually void of any merit. Be better than this. It makes the fan base look bad.
Its his MO...

jrumann59

Reaction score
That is an offense tailored to Austin's strengths, he is space player. Get him the ball in space where he can use his nimble feet and speed to make guys miss. trying to turn him into desean Jackson is a waste especially with a career catch % in the mid 50s.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
This is the epitome of an unintelligent reply. Completely ignore every single one of the legitimate points made and just attack the messenger. It's lazy and intellectually void of any merit. Be better than this. It makes the fan base look bad.

What legitimate point was that? You think ragging on the team, player and coaches makes the fan base look good? lol McVay used Gurley as the focal point of the offense, most of their passing game were short dump off passes and where was his offense in post season 13 points vs Alt. I guess he did not know how to adjust I forgot that is only in Dallas

Doomsday101

Reaction score
That is an offense tailored to Austin's strengths, he is space player. Get him the ball in space where he can use his nimble feet and speed to make guys miss. trying to turn him into desean Jackson is a waste especially with a career catch % in the mid 50s.

I don't expect him to go on deep routs all the time, I do think if all you do is throw 5 yard routs to him that defense will sit on those routs. He has the speed to turn it up field and you have to make CB aware of if or they will cheat up on the rout.
I do think there will be times he will lineup in the back field to force matchups on LB and I do think he will be motioned out wide at other times. In the end we will see what he does in Dallas

Kevinicus

Reaction score
What legitimate point was that? You think ragging on the team, player and coaches makes the fan base look good? lol McVay used Gurley as the focal point of the offense, most of their passing game were short dump off passes and where was his offense in post season 13 points vs Alt. I guess he did not know how to adjust I forgot that is only in Dallas

What would you expect the starting QB of the Cowboys to say about his new WR?

"You know what, I like Austin, but he's probably nothing more than a 4th WR type and gadget type player.............."
Legitimate point. Not really important, but legitimate in regards to the thread topic.
He's been in the league for 5 years, never once showing anything that would closely resemble the type of player he was projected to be.
Legitimate point.
He's had two different offensive schemes with the Rams, including the last one which by most accounts is a very good system run by a bright young offensive mind.
Legitimate point

Now, making up things like "ragging on the team, player and coaches" which was not in any way shape or form in that post would not be considered a legitimate point.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Legitimate point. Not really important, but legitimate in regards to the thread topic.

Legitimate point.

Legitimate point

Now, making up things like "ragging on the team, player and coaches" which was not in any way shape or form in that post would not be considered a legitimate point.

When you hold one to a higher standard and sit there drooling over the other is comes off as a joke.
"Watching the Real Sports segment on Sean McVay really made me angry about our coaching situation. Theyve got a genius. We got clapper and a 90 year old."

So where was the adjustment being made by McVay? His offense could only generate 13 points? Had that happened in Dallas you guys would be going bat **** crazy hollering about how our coaches do not know how to adjust well hold the same fire under McVay after all a genius should be able to muster up more than 13 points