Dak second to only Rodgers in 100+ QBR/games played

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Here's you a new one Pappy

i082757.jpg
What's funny about you guys calling Dak a "Bus Driver" is that it looks like he's driving you all around on the short bus.
Well done!

glimmerman

Reaction score
Dak should be fine. Look for a bounce back year. His rookie season wasn’t a fluke. They just didn’t have tape to watch on him. Last year injuries and the way they played us by taking away the short stuff and no creativity by Linehan cost us.

HungryLion

Reaction score
I completely agree. We aren’t on different pages here. He was a 4th round pick and has shown to be a tremendous value at that spot. I think the disconnect that exists between some posters is when some try to anoint Dak and put him at a level far beyond what is realistic. That causes responses that go to the other extreme. The truth is usually found in the middle.

Agree, despite my username I know Dak has a ways to go to improve. I also know he isn’t on the level of a Brady or Rodgers.

But I also think the posters saying he sucks and needs to go are also crazy to say that at this point in time.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Absolutely right. In fact, Dak was very good on third down except when distance was 8-10 yards and the defense could pin thier ears back against a porous line:

Capture.png

Thanks for posting these stats. That’s useful to see.

I would be curious to know how that compares to other QB’s around the league. I imagine MOST QB’s struggle on 3rd and 7+. Unless their names are Brady, Rodgers and Brees. I also know the eagles were rediculous on 3rd down and long last year as well.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Agree, despite my username I know Dak has a ways to go to improve. I also know he isn’t on the level of a Brady or Rodgers.

But I also think the posters saying he sucks and needs to go are also crazy to say that at this point in time.
How could he be in that level? He hasn’t put in the time and learned enough about the reads and defenses. He will improve, we just have to see where his ceiling is. Can he be elite? His rookie year says yes. Last year wasn’t all on him. This year if we are healthy and make the corrections of changing things in the passing game so we aren’t so predictable then it should be a good year and it will be on Dak to lead this team.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score

I would be curious to know how that compares to other QB’s around the league. I imagine MOST QB’s struggle on 3rd and 7+. Unless their names are Brady, Rodgers and Brees. I also know the eagles were rediculous on 3rd down and long last year as well.

Unfortunately I cannot find first down pass percentage ranking by down. Perhaps @percyhoward has this.

mcmvp

Reaction score

Wentz was pretty efficient on 3rd & 7+

44/71, 727 yards, 7 TDS, 2 INTs...117.5 rating

It’s interesting that he wasn’t as effective on 3rd and 7-9 yards as he was on 3rd & 10+

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score

Denim Chicken

Reaction score

So here you go. Dak was ranked 12th on third down in 2017:

Capture.png

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
I think you are missing the point. It's common knowledge that you don't need to throw as many passes as Brady or Rodgers to have a high passer rating. The point is the dominant running game makes it far easier for the QB when he does pass. Defenses stacking the box, the play-action game, etc. It has never been about math, but rather the level of difficulty different QBs face based on their offensive schemes. I've seen Brady and Rodgers pick apart 7-8 man coverage schemes. Dak just isn't asked to do that for the most part. That's the point.

This all started when another user, don't remember which one, said that if they used different criteria to figure QB passer ratings like using the total offensive points scored and this is when I pointed out that the past couple of years the Cowboys have been a ball control run first offense and as such uses up clock and tend to be lower scoring games. Now you come in with an obvious. No the Cowboys don't ask Prescott to throw the ball all over the place or in heavy pass coverage defenses. why? Because the Cowboys are a ball control run first offense that uses up the clock limiting how many times the opposing offense has the ball. Why would they then ask Prescott to throw more than he has to or not use play action when he does throw? Again this all started because it was stated that only Rodgers has more 100+ QB passer rating games the past 2 seasons than Prescott but there are some here that just will not let any writer, analyst, sportscaster say anything good about Prescott without saying if they did this or look at that they wouldn't be saying those things.

erod

Reaction score
Negative, the fact that Dallas is ranked 30th in passing percentage keeps his passing yardage down.

Dak on third down:

2016: 82/126 | 65% comp rate | 123.7 rating
2017: 94/149 | 63% comp rate | 84.8 rating
Oh, he completes them. Just two yards shirt of the sticks. That's the problem.

PUNT!!!!!!

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
Oh, he completes them. Just two yards shirt of the sticks. That's the problem.

PUNT!!!!!!

He's ranked 12th in conversion % on third down.

Better than: Russell Wilson, Kurt Cousins, Alex Smith, Carr, Goff, Bortles....

Last edited:

punchnjudy

Reaction score

On third and long (8+ yards), Dak was at the bottom of the league with a 14.3% conversion rate. I got the same percentage with the site Percy posted.

http://stats.washingtonpost.com/fb/leaders.asp?range=NFL&rank=047&type=Passing&year=

punchnjudy

Reaction score
How do you feel about Romos qbr?

It's too sensitive to plays that comprise a small percentage of the overall plays (TD's and INT's). Of course, it correlates with wins, as points and int's both correlate with winning, but that doesn't make it a talent evaluator.

Like most things, it gets better with sample size, but I think you'd have a hard time predicting future success or failure just by looking at a young QB's passer rating. There are guys who start out with crappy ratings who go on to great careers and vice versa. Everyone remembers RGIII, but Kap had a 98 passer rating his first full season of play and a 91 passer rating his second year. He was later benched for a scrub before he became controversial.

This write up from several years back looks examines how well passer rating from one half season predicts wins in the second half.

http://www.footballperspective.com/correlating-passing-stats-with-wins/

I think what we're left with is wait and see.

pansophy

Reaction score
How could he be in that level? He hasn’t put in the time and learned enough about the reads and defenses. He will improve, we just have to see where his ceiling is. Can he be elite? His rookie year says yes. Last year wasn’t all on him. This year if we are healthy and make the corrections of changing things in the passing game so we aren’t so predictable then it should be a good year and it will be on Dak to lead this team.
I hope that's not true because we are changing the offense to WR by committee because of his ability to go through his progressions. At least that is what S. Jones is saying.

Dak didn't take a 7 step drop without play action until week 14 his rookie year because his footwork wasn't ready. Footwork and accuracy go hand-in-hand. Dak makes good decisions, extends plays, can run. He just need to improve accuracy and throwing to all parts of the field. That should be fixable. Just have to see if he can do it.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
He's ranked 12th in conversion % on third down.

Better than: Russell Wilson, Kurt Cousins, Alex Smith, Carr, Goff, Bortles....

All those QB have much more experience than Dak. I wonder if you looked at these same QB in their 2nd year how they looked. Funny thing around here is anytime you use a vet like a Tom Brady they will say well there is no comparison, which is true the vet QB we see today is much more advanced and proven than Dak but when Brady was in only his 2nd year he did not look like the QB he is today. None of us know what Dak future will be all you can do is allow him to continue to work and develop as an NFL QB if his play does not show big improvement then you very well may have to look else where but for now as we stand here today Dak is heading into his 3rd season and putting in the work that gives him the best chance to become the QB I would think we would all want.