Twitter: Dak sighting

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Um...unlike you I am not an NFL QB nor coach nor NFL anything.,...but "getting the ball off quick"...is how to not get intercepted? What a bunch of BSheet. There is a a big list of things that involve not getting intercepted. Not all just the QB. WR route running, hands....can lead to more interceptions than "getting the ball out quick".

Getting the ball out SMART.....might be a better term.
Smart is correct, but there is also technique that need to be used.....that's part of being smart, no pass will be intercepted in drills without a defense.....

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He will need to lean on the run game early. I think if were being honest, they wont ask him to throw the ball like last year just yet. It will take 2 offseasons before he's himself.
I don't agree. I've seen this injury before, he'll be 100% by July, unless there is something they aren't telling us.

phildadon86

Reaction score
And all over....seriously....his accuracy sucks. He is what he is...and in this league...you better have a QB. We don't. We have a dude that sell jerseys .
Its a shame Kellen cant suit up and go out there and show him how its done eh?

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
At least he is getting the ball out quick. Remember the game (I think it was a playoff game) he hesitated and that type of pass got jumped and picked.
That was the Green Bay game Dak's rookie year. Dak had a damn good game except that moment. The DB read the play immediately.

phildadon86

Reaction score
That was the Green Bay game Dak's rookie year. Dak had a damn good game except that moment. The DB read the play immediately.
That loss is square on the shoulders of Garrett and Linehan. As always. Getting cute instead of going back to what worked. We ran them off the field in the regular season with Zeke. Yet, in the biggest playoff game since 2007 we come out throwing the ball. lol.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Um...unlike you I am not an NFL QB nor coach nor NFL anything.,...but "getting the ball off quick"...is how to not get intercepted? What a bunch of BSheet. There is a a big list of things that involve not getting intercepted. Not all just the QB. WR route running, hands....can lead to more interceptions than "getting the ball out quick".

Getting the ball out SMART.....might be a better term.
He was referring to what the QB does on a specific play that does not involve the WR releasing from the line of scrimmage and running a pass pattern, so route running and WR hands are outside the context of his comment. On this pass the QB is taking the snap under center and doesn't have time to drop back, and the receiver just takes a step back from the line of scrimmage and expects the ball there quickly so the defenders don't have time to react and jump between him and the QB or make a tackle for a loss. That's why getting the ball out quick is essential on that play.

As for whether a QB should take a little more time and step into the throw, I suppose coaches can argue on that, but many QB's don't. It's a quick, short pass that does not require a stride or full throwing motion to get the ball to the receiver, so many QB's don't set up their body and feet like they would for a downfield throw, and many don't stride into the throw, especially when having to turn their body toward the throwing hand the way Dak was in the video.

Last edited:

Qcard

Reaction score
This thread has been a perfect example of Eye Test Conundrum!!

cowboyec

Reaction score
Have you disagreed with Garrett? and now McCarthy? One has won coach of the year in the NFL and the other has taken a team to the SB and won yet a message board coach you should never argue with? lol I would love to see his accomplishments stacked up against Garrett and McCarthy. lol
i was just jokin' man....love your avatar by the way.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No, but it's irrelevant to what I observe when I watch an NFL game
I am a real estate investor, entrepreneur and rancher, but my former career as a Head football coach in the great state of Texas provided my with a bit of insight.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He was referring to what the QB does on a specific play that does not involve the WR releasing from the line of scrimmage and running a pass pattern, so route running and WR hands are outside the context of his comment. On this pass the QB is taking the snap under center and doesn't have time to drop back, and the receiver just takes a step back from the line of scrimmage and expects the ball there quickly so the defenders don't have time to react and jump between him and the QB or make a tackle for a loss. That's why getting the ball out quick is essential on that play.

As for whether a QB should take a little more time and step into the throw, I suppose coaches can argue on that, but many QB's don't. It's a quick, short pass that does not require a stride or full throwing motion to get the ball to the receiver, so many QB's don't set up their body and feet like they would for a downfield throw, and many don't stride into the throw, especially when having to turn their body toward the throwing hand the way Dak was in the video.
That was really my point...there's more to it than JUST a quick throw.

If he was being THAT specific he should have said so.