Dak summed up in a sentence and a question

32BellyOption

Reaction score
NFL teams do not fear or gameplan for Dak Prescott as a passer or runner in any notable way.

How much should you pay a quarterback like that?

Dak has assets that a lot of smart coaches would take advantage of. That’s why I’m hoping for an offensive minded coach. One that has developed and gotten the most out of his QB’s. All the top names we have heard for that criteria. So of course Jerry will hire a defensive coach and keep his new puppet around to run the offense.

shabazz

Reaction score
I once heard a man say, "If you like the Dakota you have, you can keep it. If you like the Dakota you have, you can keep your Dakota, too. The only change you’ll see are rising costs as your Dakota takes hold." ..............so we're gonna be just fine

MrPhil

Reaction score
I would like to see Dak perform under the guidance of a top-notch coaching staff first......

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
They shouldn't they should trade him or let him become a FA and then Take a QB in the 1st round of the draft, and then sign another QB in FA if a decent one is available for the right price while they groom their #1 pick for a year

I'm so glad you have nothing to do with player decisions with the Cowboys. First the really good QB's that go in the 1st round are gone by the 10th pick. Second teams don't give up anything in trade for a player that is or will be a free agent when the new NFL year starts. Third, any QB available in free agency is a backup QB and if they couldn't break into the starting lineup on their old team what makes you think that QB would be better than Prescott? Forth, the list is long of college QB;s that everyone thought were going to be really good in the NFL but turned out to be busts. They have been picked as high as the very 1st pick and every other pick in the 1st round. So thinking that a QB picked in the 1st round by the Cowboys is by no means a guarantee that he will be the next Rodgers or Brees. Fifth, the Cowboys with their talent are in a win now window and setting them back a couple of years could very well close that window by not having a QB with starting NFL experience that already knows the system.

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
Well here's a few things.

I believe the Cowboys suck. Sorry. I argued all offseason about how talented we are....I'm not anymore. That's out the window. I can't keep watching this team go 8-8 and keep touting how talented they are. And they did it prior to Dak/Zeke getting here. THE same mediocrity we saw prior to them is the same mediocrity we've seen since. All the winning these guys had instilled in them prior to getting here couldn't wiped out in 2016. But if you notice....the longer they stay here the worse the losing becomes. Its because its a culture thing.

Philly.....they at least have a Super Bowl in 2017 to hold on to. They at least can say they have done it and it hasn't been 20+ years.

So no. I don't give credit for Wentz beating the Commanders or Giants or the Cowboys because they all suck. I give him no credit for backing into a division because he did. He has stunk and so has his team. But he didn't stink as bad as the Cowboys have.

The real question is do I think Carson would fare as well with bad coaching in all 3 facets of the game, no turnovers or good field position and a first time offensive coordinator? I think he'd do just as bad personally if not worse.

But my opinion is based on I Think there's more to this league than talent. I think great coaching or even solid coaching can make a 8-8 team into a 11 win team. That's not what's here.

Look i agree with alot of what you say your a smart guy and you do understand Football but c'mon with the injuries the Eagles had this season i don't see how you can say they backed into the division, makes no sense, they control their own destiny now they rely on nobody so it is up to them if they get in or not, we on the other hand can back into the playoffs based on what we do and what the Eagles do. Where we disagree is the 2nd bolded quote. I think if we swapped out QB's we would be 11-5 or 12-4 with Wentz and i think Dak would be 5-11 or 6-10 with the Eagles. I can blame a few things on coaching but i can't blame it all (Eagles only have 17 takeaways this season compared to our 15 and they turned it over 23 times compared to our 17) as for JG himself i just think he has run his course and the players just stopped listening and other than 2015 when Romo went down he hasn't had a losing season. I will believe until my dying breath that had JG given the team back to Romo in 2016 we get to and might have won the SB (that's not a knock on Dak's rookie season he just wasnt' as good a QB has a healthy Romo) That in my opinion was the downfall of our team the last 3 years, it was built for one guy or one type of guy and run by another with a totally different skill set

wrongway

Reaction score
How much do you pay for the offense that has the most Total Yards in the NFL?

Do you ever get tired of this?
Scoring, touchdowns, is a tad more important. How are those yards working out in this wonderful season. Sure as hell not good enough for me. This franchise has become a league wide laughing stock, yeay.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
So you'd give him 30 million but you'd be upset if he got 5 million more? So basically 5 million would be your deal breaker?

No, I'd give him 25 maybe. But we already offered more then that initially so I'd honor whatever deal I initially put on the table. So yeah, 5 million is a deal breaker and if he or his agent don't like that, then they can go find a better offer from another team and I'll take my two 1st round picks and go get another QB.

He didn't play as if he was worth 30 this year, IMO. He played like he was worth much less but it is what it is. As I said, all of this would be contingent on if the new Coaching Staff wants Dak.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
No, I'd give him 25 maybe. But we already offered more then that initially so I'd honor whatever deal I initially put on the table. So yeah, 5 million is a deal breaker and if he or his agent don't like that, then they can go find a better offer from another team and I'll take my two 1st round picks and go get another QB.

He didn't play as if he was worth 30 this year, IMO. He played like he was worth much less but it is what it is. As I said, all of this would be contingent on if the new Coaching Staff wants Dak.

And just where are those two 1st round picks coming from?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score

Yeah I disagree. I don't let 5 million stop me from having a franchise quarterback. That's insane. We gave Nolan Carrell and Cedric Thornton 5 million. So basically we are letting a Cedric Thornton stop us from signing a franchise qb? That's insane.

But I say that to say this. If 5 million is stopping us....let Dak go. This is all a big charade. If you have a franchise quarterback you don't play this game. Rams didn't with Goff and Eagirls didn't with Wentz. So what that tells me is maybe they don't think Dak is that guy or want him to prove it. So if you have those questions then yeah I wouldn't give him 30 million. Maybe a 2 year 50 million dollar deal or something along those lines. That's far too much money to have those type of concerns. Let him walk if that's how they feel.

willia451

Reaction score
......the Cowboys with their talent are in a win now window.......already knows the system.

Win now? Have you seen this list of UFAs and RFAs for 2020?

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/dallas-cowboys/

Moreover. LVE is having fusion surgery and might not be ok. Sean Lee is probably retiring. JS has regressed. Our LB corp is thin to say the least.

Plus. With a new HC and maybe some other coaches probably coming in, we have no idea what "the system" will look like next season. I'm hoping its completely different than the one we have today. Because that one was getting us nowhere.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
NO AGAIN,

I DONT HAVE TME TO GOOVER EVERY TEAMS MISTAKES AT QB IN NFL HISTORY BUT IM SURE IT NEARLY ALL OF THE TEAMS..

they have traded up to pick the likes of Trubisky , or took a haskins, Jones, or goff type too high... at least we got dak in the 4th and Romo UDFA..other teams are INVESTING far more in the same type of talent..there are far more examples of teams making the same mistakes with the picks at qb postion..no one has the formula..you keep trying and hoping..its a lot more luck then design IMO.JimmyG and Jacoby are not better then Dak they are in similar tier levels and were picked higher and then another team used more draft picks to get them and overpay to keep the likes of a JimmyG..is he bad no but nether were Romo or Dak.. they are what is the more normal QB available to start for teams Vs the occasional generational Elute qb which one or two might come along a decade..

then they are so desperate they overpay for most of them as well.. its not just Cleveland, Dallas , and Oakland or so called bad teams..

Ok well let me do it for you then.

Do you see the good teams.....the ones who for the most part have one consistently for the past 10-20 years do this? You see the Steelers trade 2 1st round picks to get a Jared Goff? You see them draft a Johnny Manziel with their 1st round pick?

Getting quarterbacks isn't easy. But there is a approach you should take especially if you have the ability to coach your guys up.

Ask yourself this...has Andy Reid ever had a bad quarterback? Has he ever traded up and drafted a bad quarterback in the 1st round?
What about Pete Carroll? What about Bellicheat? What about Harbaugh in Baltimore?

Yes, its hard to find a quarterback but there's a way to do it. It takes proper coaching, scouting, culture.......look at what the good coaches do at that position and look at what the bad organization do at it and I bet you will see a consistent trend. Doesn't take that much time. Just pick 5 good organziation and pick 5 bad ones and see what they have done at quarterback.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
NFL teams do not fear or gameplan for Dak Prescott as a passer or runner in any notable way.

How much should you pay a quarterback like that?
There are two different factions of fans.
Type 1 - Those that support everything Dallas Cowboys, every player they sign, every draft pick, every management decision without question.
If they are on this team, then the Cowboys made the right choice.
Type 2- Those that have supported this team, but have the ability to somewhat evaluate talent when they see it, have the judgment to know when management is making a bad decision with signings, and know when to say enough is enough, can we please quit making yet another huge mistake.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Win now? Have you seen this list of UFAs and RFAs for 2020?

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/dallas-cowboys/

Moreover. LVE is having fusion surgery and might not be ok. Sean Lee is probably retiring. JS has regressed. Our LB corp is thin to say the least.

Plus. With a new HC and maybe some other coaches probably coming in, we have no idea what "the system" will look like next season. I'm hoping its completely different than the one we have today. Because that one was getting us nowhere.

I did know the Cowboys had some free agents after the season but I will admit I didn't know there were that many. Some I'm sure the Cowboys will let walk like some of the backup players and ones signed because of injuries this season. Bennett because of his talent of lining up in the neutral zone probably won't get resigned. It's safe to say that even with the most cap money the Cowboys have ever had that all of them can't get signed and it's going to be interesting to see which ones are.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Ha. Dak has better stats than Goff WHILE IN THE NFL.
Yeah ID on't know what the hell they are talking about. I'm convinced they haven't seen him play.
Look i agree with alot of what you say your a smart guy and you do understand Football but c'mon with the injuries the Eagles had this season i don't see how you can say they backed into the division, makes no sense, they control their own destiny now they rely on nobody so it is up to them if they get in or not, we on the other hand can back into the playoffs based on what we do and what the Eagles do. Where we disagree is the 2nd bolded quote. I think if we swapped out QB's we would be 11-5 or 12-4 with Wentz and i think Dak would be 5-11 or 6-10 with the Eagles. I can blame a few things on coaching but i can't blame it all (Eagles only have 17 takeaways this season compared to our 15 and they turned it over 23 times compared to our 17) as for JG himself i just think he has run his course and the players just stopped listening and other than 2015 when Romo went down he hasn't had a losing season. I will believe until my dying breath that had JG given the team back to Romo in 2016 we get to and might have won the SB (that's not a knock on Dak's rookie season he just wasnt' as good a QB has a healthy Romo) That in my opinion was the downfall of our team the last 3 years, it was built for one guy or one type of guy and run by another with a totally different skill set

So if you don' think the Eagles backed into the division then you think the Cowboys reached their potential with a 8-8 season? I'm sorry but if you are 8-7 and are leading your division you didn't go out there and win it you backed into especially when you hadn't been leading it all year. The Eagles are so bad that they can still lose on Sunday and miss out on the playoffs.....that's WITH the Cowboys losing what? 4 out of 5 games?

And btw, I'm not saying the Cowboys didn't back into either. Even if they won on Sunday they would've backed into it. They have done nothing but beat bad teams all year(well they lost to the Eagles and Jets and Bears) and lose to the good teams. That's backing in to me.

So you believe Wentz would win 11 or 12 wins with our supporting cast even though he couldn't do it last year with a Super Bowl winning supporting cast? I can't say I agree with that.

I also disagree with you about Romo. He would've failed in 2016 like he failed his whole career. Why? Because of who is head coach is. I get it. Its the uncertainty. We will never know what Romo would've done win or lose. Hell to be honest there is no evidence to even say Romo's body would have even held up if they brought back in that year. He probably would've got hurt again. Who knows how the team around him plays.

I'm of the belief that year the Cowboys were going to lose regardless. Because mind you, Dak played good enough to win in that Packers game. Hell he even had a lead. They didn't lose because of Dak. They lost because as usual they always found a way to lose in the Garrett era. Hell even the Wade and Parcells era. They find ways to lose. In that game they let Jared Cook run free which set up the field goal. In 2014 how did they lose? The "catch"? Its always something.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
There are two different factions of fans.
Type 1 - Those that support everything Dallas Cowboys, every player they sign, every draft pick, every management decision without question.
If they are on this team, then the Cowboys made the right choice.
Type 2- Those that have supported this team, but have the ability to somewhat evaluate talent when they see it, have the judgment to know when management is making a bad decision with signings, and know when to say enough is enough, can we please quit making yet another huge mistake.
Haha I'm not sure if Type 2 is actually a real faction of this fanbase lol. Especially if you go by the posts on this site lol. That fan doesn't exist.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Scoring, touchdowns, is a tad more important. How are those yards working out in this wonderful season. Sure as hell not good enough for me. This franchise has become a league wide laughing stock, yeay.

They are 8th in points scored and would be 4th if they had a reliable kicker all season. If you think the offense was the problem this year, you haven't been paying attention.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I'm so glad you have nothing to do with player decisions with the Cowboys. First the really good QB's that go in the 1st round are gone by the 10th pick. Second teams don't give up anything in trade for a player that is or will be a free agent when the new NFL year starts. Third, any QB available in free agency is a backup QB and if they couldn't break into the starting lineup on their old team what makes you think that QB would be better than Prescott? Forth, the list is long of college QB;s that everyone thought were going to be really good in the NFL but turned out to be busts. They have been picked as high as the very 1st pick and every other pick in the 1st round. So thinking that a QB picked in the 1st round by the Cowboys is by no means a guarantee that he will be the next Rodgers or Brees. Fifth, the Cowboys with their talent are in a win now window and setting them back a couple of years could very well close that window by not having a QB with starting NFL experience that already knows the system.

This isn't always the case. Heck, Rogers was taken late in the first. Lots of QBs are taken late in the first or early in the 2nd and develop. To me, it's more about the environment that they are developed in, more then anything else. Seen way too many talented QBs get ruined by being drafted into the wrong situation. That's the honest truth.