Dak, Time to get smart

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
I agree. He is apparently fairly new to being a NFL agent. And he has to know that he already cost Dak money. Had a deal last year and pulled it right before it was signed just because we went 3-0. That’s why the negotiations stopped. If it was a contract ready to sign then it’s on him. If it’s the same 36 that’s on the table now and he turned that down and let Dak play for 2 instead. Knowing he would only get 31 this year for the tag then yeah he should be fired..

Todd France isn't new. Besides Dak he represents Aaron Donald, Deandre Hopkins, and Fletcher Cox - over 80 clients total.

He's negotiated almost $2 billion of NFL contracts. I'm not sure the scenario you've portrayed is entirely accurate.

cern

Reaction score
Team friendly contracts have several definitions. In this one, the Cowboys want a longer deal so they can finagle the numbers if more talent is needed in certain areas of the team.

In essence, you can actually conclude that Dak is not interested in the team around him being good.
Or that he has so much faith the fo will find a way to put a great team on the field even if dak eats half the pie. :)

glimmerman

Reaction score
Todd France isn't new. Besides Dak he represents Aaron Donald, Deandre Hopkins, and Fletcher Cox - over 80 clients total.

He's negotiated almost $2 billion of NFL contracts. I'm not sure the scenario you've portrayed is entirely accurate.
I have heard he is one of the newer big and growing player agents since joining CAA in 2015. Handles plenty of NFL players. Don’t mean he can’t make a mistake or give bad advice.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
If that's the case, then he's either not real bright or he's simply delusional.
Or strictly thinking of himself. He sees the talent they already have around him and wants his pie however big that is.

And the way we bent over for Zeke and didn’t balk at Coopers demands, Dak might have a point if he was at their talent level.

If we don’t sign him I think that’s where the fallout is. He views his talent level as top 5 and we don’t.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I have heard he is one of the newer big and growing player agents since joining CAA in 2015. Handles plenty of NFL players. Don’t mean he can’t make a mistake or give bad advice.
At some point we must look to Dak not his agent. All Dak has to say is get a deal done.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I do not trust 99% of what I’ve heard about Dak’s contract situation. Especially when it comes from anyone named Jones, or someone else in the front office who plants “leaked” stories with reporters about the “behind the scenes” negotiations and “what’s really going on”.

I do believe there is blame for both sides in this situation. But looking at Jerry’s track record of public leaking of info as a negotiating tactic, it’s hard to believe that there aren’t truckloads of BS pouring from the Star. The Jones cartel loves to portray themselves as “tough” negotiators but I don’t think JJs history really bears that out in the end.

When it comes to sports agents, fans forget an agent’s job is to get what they perceive is the best deal for their client. Agents don’t care about cap space or what’s best for the team. That’s just not their job. Is Todd France a jerk who is giving Dak bad advice? Maybe. But it could also be true that the Cowboys have tried to squeeze Dak until the deadline.

I look at contract negotiations a lot like a fight between a couple. There are usually two versions of why there are problems. And there is usually some truth coming from both sides. But I’m not buying the view that the Cowboys have played completely fair or smart in this deal and that almost all of the impasse is on Dak and his agent. I could be dead wrong, but I’m just not buying what the front office is selling here. And I’m not buying all of what little has been said from Todd France either. I’m withholding any judgment on this until this is cleared up because I don’t think there is enough viable info out on it.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
My first Dak thread, ever if memory serves.

Dak, can you seriously not see what this agent is doing to you? You are now appearing to be self-centered, completely eaten up w/ greed, and a guy who doesn't care a wit about the team or your teammates or any of that.

Is this the case? If it is, well OK. If this is not the case, please please please fire this bucket of self serving BS and get a real agent as Mahomes did. That is how a contract should be done, not this drawn out mess.
I throw fun, but I get where you're coming from.
I'm steadfast until the 15th.
And probably will remain blase afterwards, but that's just how I am.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
At some point we must look to Dak not his agent. All Dak has to say is get a deal done.
I think he's carefully watched Lawrence and Elliott stand their ground and feels good about his agent. He signed with him for a very good reason.

Prescott knows what they all know. This drawn out contract negotiation, and we think they have a lot more negotiating contact than they actually do, will be forgotten and his teammates could care less when it starts to get real. Every player in the game knows QB's are going to hold them up for every dollar they can get and that sets the prices higher on other positions.

We talk about this more in a week than Prescott's teammates have talked about it all off season combined. They could care less whether he plays on the tag or goes long term, they've got other, more important, things on their minds these days. All they know is if they play, he's the QB.

A player's business is his business and not any of the other players' business.

Corso

Reaction score
I think he's carefully watched Lawrence and Elliott stand their ground and feels good about his agent. He signed with him for a very good reason.

Prescott knows what they all know. This drawn out contract negotiation, and we think they have a lot more negotiating contact than they actually do, will be forgotten and his teammates could care less when it starts to get real. Every player in the game knows QB's are going to hold them up for every dollar they can get and that sets the prices higher on other positions.

We talk about this more in a week than Prescott's teammates have talked about it all off season combined. They could care less whether he plays on the tag or goes long term, they've got other, more important, things on their minds these days. All they know is if they play, he's the QB.

The Jones' boys have a very predictable M.O..
They think it's the way to go, but it helps them in no way.

Diehardblues

Reaction score

Yep but it’s what we do. And it effects our perception. We really don’t know how it effects the other players but since when would that impact our drama as fans.

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The Jones' boys have a very predictable M.O..
They think it's the way to go, but it helps them in no way.
I haven’t been very impressed with how we’ve dealt with these big named players contracts . I’m not sure where we’ve gotten this tough guy mantra?

We caved on Elliott last year. We sure signed Cooper fast this off season. Thought we over paid Lawrence.

We got tough a couple years ago on Dez but then realized we needed a#1 WR so had to desperately trade for Coop.

Same thing a few years ago for Murray. Released him then saw the devastating effects with RB by committee and used our 1st rd pick following year on Zeke.

So, IMO we will either Cave on Dak or be using our 1st rd pick next year on a QB. That’s the pattern we’ve been following. Nothing tough or smart about Daddy and Son. Look like same idiots to me.

Corso

Reaction score
I haven’t been very impressed with how we’ve dealt with these big named players contracts . I’m not sure where we’ve gotten this tough guy mantra?

We caved on Elliott last year. We sure signed Cooper fast this off season. Thought we over paid Lawrence.

We got tough a couple years ago on Dez but then realized we needed a#1 WR so had to desperately trade for Coop.

Same thing a few years ago for Murray. Released him then saw the devastating effects with RB by committee and used our 1st rd pick following year on Zeke.

So, IMO we will either Cave on Dak or be using our 1st rd pick next year on a QB. That’s the pattern we’ve been following. Nothing tough or smart about it.
True. I believe (don't know) Stevie has taken a lazy way through this process by appearing tough with his "deadlines make deals" instead of honest and earnest negotiation.
Probably looks great to daddy.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
True. I believe (don't know) Stevie has taken a lazy way through this process by appearing tough with his "deadlines make deals" instead of honest and earnest negotiation.
Probably looks great to daddy.
Yep until there’s no deal. Then Daddy will come rushing in to save the day caving in to sign him.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
But you guys do know that its in his agent and his clients best interest to wait until the 15th to sign right?He's not on fans time he's on his own time. The best deal Dak will get will be on July 15th. The rush to get a contract done is just fans being impatient.
He should have said "smart in the interest of fans"

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Post a copy of that offer?
Let's stay on the ground here as no one knows what has happened exactly with this negotiation.

I was speaking of the class of players you'd give a 4 year contract to, which excludes the ancient QBs still playing like Brees and Brady, probably others.