Dak, Time to get smart

csirl

Reaction score
Cowboys have no offer on the table to Dak. Since the decision was made to change coaches, the dynamic has been Dak's side making proposals and the Cowboys not responding.

There is no reason why the Cowboys need to make any offer before the deadline and many reasons, including some not related to Dak or any QB, why its better to wait and see what happens over the coming months.

cern

Reaction score
And Dak now has a right to negotiate for the contract he wants, that's the way it works.

So how about everybody dropping the double standard by turning Dak into the bad guy.

The Cowboys got a great deal in Dak's first four seasons. Now Dak wants a great deal.
now this i agree with. but even the rolling stones know you can't always get what you want.

Swagger

Reaction score
That miracle season (2016) was mostly Zeke.
Since that season Dak is average to below-average QB.
I find it amusing how the Dak-trolls act sooooo surprised why he doesn't have a new long term deal.
QB like Dak are bench material at best!!!!
Tim Tebow, you will soon have company.....

This is the point that many seem to not grasp. The front office are clearly not fully sold on Dak Prescott. If they were then he would have been signed long ago. If he was their guy they wouldn't dither over 18 months to sign him! They wouldn't mess around if they were dealing with Mahomes or Wilson. Prescott is dispensable hence why he remains unsigned!

Fastpitch Dad

Reaction score
Or why a grown man such as yourself feels inclined to throw really cheap grade school insults at someone they don't know. Maybe you should look inward for immaturity and insecurity. I'm OK w/ you having an opinion, maybe you should self analyze and come to an understanding why you lack the cognitive ability to perceive why people see things in different ways than you do. Your extreme narcissism is making you sound quite childish. Thanks for your opinion though, I'll allow you to have it!!!!
Great retort, when I read his post I really didn't understand it at all. I don't see how immaturity or insecurity could be construed in any part of your post.

You have an opinion just like he does, but you stayed away from an "immature" reply while he took the other route.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Personally, while I do think Dak is a very good NFL quarterback, I wish Jerry would go with the 4 year contract. To this point there's no question that Dak has to improve, he misses too many easy throws, still holds the ball too long in the pocket, etc.

And even 4 years is a long time to go with a quarterback who's not quite there yet, if he doesn't improve, even with a super team around him, there's a good chance he can't get the Cowboys a SB trophy, what with teams like the Chiefs already loaded, and teams like the Ravens "primed and ready".

I certainly don't want the Cowboys to not go with the "bird in the hand" viewpoint, how many teams have drafted supposedly "top" quarterbacks, no. 1 picks, first round picks and traded for the "sure fire" quarterback that didn't pan out. If you have a very good quarterback who you think can "do it", keep him around for a while.

But to quibble over ONE year's contract difference is just silly. Who knows what will happen? Cowboys gave Romo the big deal, then injuries cropped up and money spent on him caused cap headaches when he couldn't play anymore.

If the yearly salary isn't the issue, Jerry, cut a 4 year deal and let's settle it....

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
We can all have opinions but the people who haven't signed him see him all season long. That speaks volumes

By all accounts it's only the length of contract that's the issue.

You're inferring that the Cowboys don't think Dak is worth what he's asking, but if that was the case they'd not have offered the exclusive franchise tag, you don't agree to fork over $31 million for somebody you don't think is capable of leading your team to a championship, they'd have let him go and get the top draft pick and draft somebody they think can get them a ring.

No "volumes" there....

Swagger

Reaction score
By all accounts it's only the length of contract that's the issue.

You're inferring that the Cowboys don't think Dak is worth what he's asking, but if that was the case they'd not have offered the exclusive franchise tag, you don't agree to fork over $31 million for somebody you don't think is capable of leading your team to a championship, they'd have let him go and get the top draft pick and draft somebody they think can get them a ring.

No "volumes" there....

So you think the Commanders were sold on Kirk Cousins?

There's a huge difference between signing a player on a tag at a point in the season where the money couldn't really be fully utilised on other resources (if we really wanted Clowney we could work around it i.e. restructure or drop Crawford) and ensuring the player is signed long term at all costs.

Do you think the front office would mess around arguing over a 4 or 5 year contract (if that is what's happening with Prescott) with Mahomes or Wilson? Absolutely not. The deal would be done asap.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Technically he "opted" out but they were going to cut him lol. He jumped in front of it before they could. Let's don't kid ourselves here.

ITs not a bad word its just a odd choice of words to describe someone you don't know. If someone asked me were you a bad person I would say "I don't know..." because...I don't know lol. But ok.

And France is getting the job done. He's playing chess not checkers. Dak chose to bet on himself and so far its working. France is there to make sure that happens.
Chess , checkers, what ever game, yes Dak bet on himself, but he only wins that bet if he gets signed.
So it might be a wise bet on his part, or if might end up being a really bad bet if Dallas is so frustrated with entire situation that they are dead set in letting Dak remain on the tag, and start exploring other options.
If its the latter, I dont see a real win situation for Dak or the franchise.
Nobody has really discussed it, at least I havent seen it, but maybe because of the Mods rules that we cant discuss Covid.
So I will skate on thin ice and ask this question without being completely obvious.
Just what if the Cowboys are looking at this contract considering the current "situation". There honestly might not be a season.
What if Dallas decides this is about the worst time to fork over one of if not the biggest contracts in the history of this franchise?
What if Dallas decides that if Dak isnt in their long term plans, that they decide to break it all down, and trade a way key players for future draft picks, for a rebuild when the air clears and the time is right?
Unconventional I agree, but these are unconventional times.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
So according to both of you Jason Garrett was wrongfully terminated and we all owe him an apology...... because the Cowboys record over the past three seasons is what Dak did..... just saying.

Anyone insisting that Zeke was responsible for the 13-3 season must then accept that it was DeMarco Murray that was responible for 2014 and Romo being the #1 ranked QB that season.

Go back in history and any RB that led the league in rushing eliminates their QB from receiving any credit. Right?
I wasnt saying it was all on dak lol.
The coaching played a big part in it, but so did dak.
My point was dak was much better in the rookie season, than he has been the last 3 seasons.
About the rb , I think that was directed at someone else?
But elliot was vg that rookie season, and so was the OL, Both of those helped dak and team get to 13-3
neither elliot or dak has come close to their rookie season the last 3 years, and the OL has also not been as good.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
2016 was probably oline at least as much as Zeke.

It's totally unserious to call Dak "bench material at best". He's top 10 easily. Closer to top 5 for guys to give a 4 year contract to.

Post a copy of that offer?
Let's stay on the ground here as no one knows what has happened exactly with this negotiation.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Post a copy of that offer?
Let's stay on the ground here as no one knows what has happened exactly with this negotiation.
You're right, none of us know for sure. But it does seem to be the prevailing belief that Dak wants a 4 year contract, rather than 5, and that's the biggest factor in the deal not being done yet. Personally, I don't see the problem with giving him a shorter contract and letting him prove his worth.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Chess , checkers, what ever game, yes Dak bet on himself, but he only wins that bet if he gets signed.
So it might be a wise bet on his part, or if might end up being a really bad bet if Dallas is so frustrated with entire situation that they are dead set in letting Dak remain on the tag, and start exploring other options.
If its the latter, I dont see a real win situation for Dak or the franchise.
Nobody has really discussed it, at least I havent seen it, but maybe because of the Mods rules that we cant discuss Covid.
So I will skate on thin ice and ask this question without being completely obvious.
Just what if the Cowboys are looking at this contract considering the current "situation". There honestly might not be a season.
What if Dallas decides this is about the worst time to fork over one of if not the biggest contracts in the history of this franchise?
What if Dallas decides that if Dak isnt in their long term plans, that they decide to break it all down, and trade a way key players for future draft picks, for a rebuild when the air clears and the time is right?
Unconventional I agree, but these are unconventional times.

History says Jerry and co. don't think progressive like that. Maybe there's a first time for everything but I don' think this situation is about Covid. I think its simply about what's been reported. They are off on a year and when they add that year Dak's team wants 45 million in that last year.

And you are right. Dak wins if he signs a deal. If he doesn't....his bet doesn't pay off.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree. He is apparently fairly new to being a NFL agent. And he has to know that he already cost Dak money. Had a deal last year and pulled it right before it was signed just because we went 3-0. That’s why the negotiations stopped. If it was a contract ready to sign then it’s on him. If it’s the same 36 that’s on the table now and he turned that down and let Dak play for 2 instead. Knowing he would only get 31 this year for the tag then yeah he should be fired..
He is an agent with what is considered one of the top 3 in the biz, he isn't acting in a vacuum, he is part of a team.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My first Dak thread, ever if memory serves.

Dak, can you seriously not see what this agent is doing to you? You are now appearing to be self-centered, completely eaten up w/ greed, and a guy who doesn't care a wit about the team or your teammates or any of that.

Is this the case? If it is, well OK. If this is not the case, please please please fire this bucket of self serving BS and get a real agent as Mahomes did. That is how a contract should be done, not this drawn out mess.
I will take the counter on this because why should he care how he appears, do any of them?

The name of the game is get all you can while you can for every pro athlete, they're all hired guns and in the NFL they don't get anything guaranteed but the guarantee.

Think his teammates care? Every one of them would do the same as he's doing, looking out for #1, it is only a team sport on the field.

Assumptions are made that the agent is calling the shots but do we know the involvement of Prescott in these life affecting decisions? When they agreed to represent him, certain expectations were laid out, requirements that needed to be met for a continuing relationship. This isn't all on a greedy agent looking to make a headline.

If you're going to call Prescott and his agent out, how about a little equal time for the deals they made with the other stars, this is as much about that as competitive pay for the QB1 across the league. Were they really incompetent enough not to see where that was heading? Start throwing the highest paid at their position money for players that are not? How is this on the QB?

plasticman

Reaction score
We can all have opinions but the people who haven't signed him see him all season long. That speaks volumes
"Emmitt Smith is a luxury, not a necessity"

- Jerry Jones in 1993 during negotiations of Emmitt's contract. Emmitt ended up holding out during the first two games of the season, in which the Cowboys went 0-2. Jerry gave in and the Cowboys went on to win the Super Bowl. The MVP ended up being "the Luxury"

Jerry also expressed regret when Parcells decided to replace Bledsoe with Romo, he assured everyone that Joseph Randle was a legitimate starter after Murray left and he expressed both regret amd anger when Stephen insisted that he pass on Johnny Manziel, an historic bust, and select Martin, a perrenial Pro Bowler.

That speaks a whole congressional library.

glimmerman

Reaction score
He is an agent with what is considered one of the top 3 in the biz, he isn't acting in a vacuum, he is part of a team.
Yeah he also has 2 other players he is representing that are playing on the tag also. Not sure if that’s a good thing or not. But has a lot of clients, he makes about 28 million a year in commission. I am in the wrong line of work. I just wondered if he isn’t playing to hard. And a lot of this maybe about nothing. Could be normal negotiating and we have nothing better to do than be involved in. I remember this also happening when Romo was doing his contract. But I knew Romo wasn’t going anywhere. JJ said the same about Dak but not totally sure this time. Although I think Daks stats in his first 4 years are a little better than Romo first 4 actual playing years.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
If Dak is stuck on a four year deal @ $35M/year, may as well just ride the next two tags out while looking for his replacement.

cern

Reaction score
The old adage "time is money" was never more true than these negotiations. In this case, time being 4 years vs 5.