Dak tops in tight window throws

starcity214

Reaction score
Why do so many people ignore the fact that our o-line took a huge step backwards this past year in terms of protection? Dak was pressured on many more throws this season than last, this is exactly why his numbers dipped. When Dak has decent time he's a great QB with fantastic numbers, what is the solution? Give him better protection when he's passing the ball. How can anybody expect a 2nd year QB to flourish when being pressured on 40%+ of drop backs in 2/3rds of the games in the season? Go look at the stats for Dak when he's pressured less than 40% of snaps his numbers are elite. This past year he was under huge pressure from opposing rushers.

This is just not true.

Dak was sacked 32 times this season.
That ranks 14 out of 32 in the NFL.

Matthew Stafford was sacked 47 times and had a great season.

Russell Wilson was sacked 43 times and had a great season..

Kirk Cousins was sacked 41 times and had a good season...

I guess we just like to go along with narratives.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
This is just not true.

Yes the narrative... Staffords Lions (9-7), Wilson's Seahawks (9-7), Cousins Commander (7-9). It's amazing how some call Dak's cowboys (9-7) less than the Lions, Seasquaks and Skinless. Gonna say one had a great season for delivering the team to 9-7 gotta say they all did. If QB stats mattered most you know who would have more than 2 playoff wins

Philmonroe

Reaction score
This is just not true.

You might as well save your keystrokes this issue won't be answered until the season starts dang near half a year from now. Some people want to believe inDAKurate about to become a new accurate qb during the offseason and people like us disagree. We won't know for sure until next year but if he plays like he did last year this year more people will be on board with what we are posting. For my fandom and the Boys I hope I'm wrong but history shows that's not the norm just like I doubt TWill is going to come back a hands catcher.

kskboys

Reaction score
Poor evaluation skills. Yes, Dak had some bad passes. He also had some great passes. However, his accuracy was obviously tied to poor footwork and some mechanical issues, stuff that can be corrected. Will he correct it? That remains to be seen. I've got some hopes riding on this new QB coach.

Zman5

Reaction score
This is great. But it begs the question how bad he was in open windows, then, for his numbers to have dropped the way they did?

This is one of those where the numbers actually surprise me. I wouldn't have thought he'd be very high on this list just judging from my eye-ball test this season.

If your eye balls weren't like JG's eye balls, you'd see better.

1273.jpg
https://cowboyszone.com/proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fi124.***BLOCKED***%2Falbums%2Fp15%2Fzman55%2Fimages.jpg&hash=d570b206405045c6a2f3ae3173cef5d5

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
Like Idgit said, what exactly is this suppose to prove?

That he sucks at throwing to wide open receivers? Something had to give for his stats to have dropped significantly from last season.

Also, kinda important to note that Dak lead the league in pick 6s (ints returned for TDs).

Three of those pick sixes bounced off his receivers hands.
He threw four picks all season a year ago.

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
all the stats are great but the most important number is 9 and 7 and missing the playoffs again

bayeslife

187beatdown
Reaction score
This is just not true.

They also had more pass attempts. If you look at percentage of pressured pass attempts, Dallas was bottom 5

kento40

Reaction score
The agenda is pumping bogus stats down my throat to try and convince me my eyes don't see what they see.
Exactly! All those dumb jump passes, the psuedo Aaron Rodgers back foot throws, the missing wide open receivers on more than a few occasions, the poor field vision, the poor pocket awareness, the fact that both Troy and Tony (two of the greatest Cowboys of all time,) mentioned that good qb's throw their receivers open, not stepping up into the pocket, etc... Yeah that was all due to scheme, a crappy o-line, not having an all pro rb, because I guess that all great qb's have one, smh and let's not forget the receivers not getting separation even though we did better in that regard than the Jags, Pats and Falcons, all playoff teams. Nah, it's not Dak's fault at all. Funny how it was ALWAYS Romo's fault though.

sacase

Reaction score
Exactly! All those dumb jump passes, the psuedo Aaron Rodgers back foot throws, the missing wide open receivers on more than a few occasions, the poor field vision, the poor pocket awareness, the fact that both Troy and Tony (two of the greatest Cowboys of all time,) mentioned that good qb's throw their receivers open, not stepping up into the pocket, etc... Yeah that was all due to scheme, a crappy o-line, not having an all pro rb, because I guess that all great qb's have one, smh and let's not forget the receivers not getting separation even though we did better in that regard than the Jags, Pats and Falcons, all playoff teams. Nah, it's not Dak's fault at all. Funny how it was ALWAYS Romo's fault though.

What sad is that if you look at his scouting report, the weaknesses that were listed there, are exactly the problems we have had this year. You could have litterally lifted the paragraph and applied it to this past year.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/dak-prescott?id=2555260

WEAKNESSES
Beat up this year thanks to poor protection. When he wasn't being sacked, he was being hit hard. Not as competitive a rusher in 2015. Sacks and usage in run game might be taking a toll. Increase in short pass attempts from 86 to 208 this year reason for higher completion numbers. Accuracy on intermediate and deep throws dropped sharply. Pocket poise has been compromised. Hyper aware of pressure around him and lacks awareness to slide and find temporary shelter to make throw. Concern over pressure too often trumps ability to get through progressions. Must speed up the pace of his reads. Footwork is a mess. Slight stride onto stiff upper leg with little weight shift. Restricted follow through and too often tries to muscle throws with upper body. Throws to target rather than leading or throwing them open on short/intermediate throws. Too respectful of underneath coverage and must be more willing to challenge the defense. Needs to improve anticipation.

Dre11

Reaction score

What's funny is all the fools crying about Dak because you got spoiled last season. Everybody expected growing pains for Dak this year, it's what happens to rookie, which is why hey call it a sophomore slump he's only in year 2, But you saw what happened when there's was a healthy Zeke. It's no coincidence Romo's best year was when when Murray was running his *** off.

starcity214

Reaction score
Yes the narrative... Staffords Lions (9-7), Wilson's Seahawks (9-7), Cousins Commander (7-9). It's amazing how some call Dak's cowboys (9-7) less than the Lions, Seasquaks and Skinless. Gonna say one had a great season for delivering the team to 9-7 gotta say they all did. If QB stats mattered most you know who would have more than 2 playoff wins

Why is it so hard for people to understand that there are "team stats" and "player stats"?

Wins and loses are team stats because a player can have a bad game and win (Big Ben in Superbowl) and also, a player can have a good game and lose(Brady Superbowl)

When teams game plan against the Lions, and the Commanders I guarantee you their main goal is figuring out how to stop the passing game. Against us? teams hope we get pass happy.

As Romo said, if a defense fears you, that shows how good you are.

I wonder how many coordinators lose sleep over Dak's checkdowns...

I guarantee you that Stafford, Wilson and Cousins can take over a game even though their Olines suck and they have no running game.

For Dak to take over a game , he would need Bill Bellichick , the 90's Cowboys OLine, Randy Moss in his Prime and Barry Sanders. (according to some here)

That's all you need to know.

kento40

Reaction score
What's funny is all the fools crying about Dak because you got spoiled last season. Everybody expected growing pains for Dak this year, it's what happens to rookie, which is why hey call it a sophomore slump he's only in year 2, But you saw what happened when there's was a healthy Zeke. It's no coincidence Romo's best year was when when Murray was running his *** off.
I totally get what you're saying, but there's slump and then there's total and utter regression. We didn't experience slump, we saw regression in the highest form. Dude didn't go from Russell Wilson to Tyrod Taylor, he went from John Elway to Josh Freeman. Dude totally threw mechanics out the window and looked more like a TE trying to play QB than a QB that was struggling. Let's be for real, all QB's make mistakes, from the third string guy, to the elites, but what you rarely see, is a QB that regresses to a point where he doesn't even go through the basic motions.

Gameover

Reaction score
He gets more practice at it than other QB.

Just wait until he gets a reliable outside receiver!

Just wait until he is no longer at the mercy of all the Romo holdovers! This group has been together for far too long!

Switzer
J. Landry - 100+ catch guy is what this offense badly needs
A draft pick
Brown - Size, could provide something
Swaim-Baylor - got to get some fresh bodies in at TE

Now we getting Dak friendly!!!!

Last edited:

Dre11

Reaction score
I totally get what you're saying, but there's slump and then there's total and utter regression. We didn't experience slump, we saw regression in the highest form. Dude didn't go from Russell Wilson to Tyrod Taylor, he went from John Elway to Josh Freeman. Dude totally threw mechanics out the window and looked more like a TE trying to play QB than a QB that was struggling. Let's be for real, all QB's make mistakes, from the third string guy, to the elites, but what you rarely see, is a QB that regresses to a point where he doesn't even go through the basic motions.

Dak didn't struggle early with Zeke in the game, it wasn't until Zeke was suspended and teams forced him to beat them. The regression was only steep because he set the bar so high the previous year. His mechanics suffered mostly when pressured. I think you're exaggerating when describing his play.