Dak vs. Romo - Deep passing

Hadenough

Reaction score
2 years vs career.

Let’s see the stats after Dak has compiled some passes. Maybe 5 years or so. But I think he is good and will get better.
Exactly! And Dak had a career year his first year so that was sucha bonus when comparing stats. Now that defenses have figured out how to play Dak he will never have another year like his first.

Hadenough

Reaction score
Dak also doesnt throw the WR open. Regardless of what analysts or anyone else says you can obviously see Dak will not throw into tight windows more than 15 yds down field because he doesnt have the accuracy or arm to do it. Those are plays that need to be made a few times during games especially when you reach the playoffs.

Cowpolk

Landry Hat
Reaction score
Dak also doesnt throw the WR open. Regardless of what analysts or anyone else says you can obviously see Dak will not throw into tight windows more than 15 yds down field because he doesnt have the accuracy or arm to do it. Those are plays that need to be made a few times during games especially when you reach the playoffs.
But he is built like a linebacker that has to count for something

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
I can provide the numbers for the first 2 years tomorrow. I know what they will show, but I am curious before I say anything. What are you guessing it will look like and how would that apply to the claims that Dak doesn't throw the ball down the field and is just a dink and dunk QB?

I think they will show that in his first two years Dak was better at protecting the ball and not giving it away. Dak was more conservative in his approach his first two years than Romo. I know it will show more rushing TD's for Dak. Probably more yards passing for Romo with more Int's. If fans want to call Daks passes dink and dunk, I have no problem with that. The truth is, his WR's gave him very little in return as RAC. Over the past few years Brady has been the epitome of dink and dunk but his WR's get open and pad his yardage with 10 or so yards after the catch. Not a bad guy to epitomize.

The Romo v Dak comparison in their first two full seasons would be interesting. Same game planner (JG), both played behind solid O-lines their first two years, Romo had the triple threat of Tash, Dash and crash and Barber was solid his first two years. And Romo had TO, a depth threat in Terry Glen and a Wit in his prime. Fans who say Romo didn't have good teams around him his first 3 years are making excuses for one playoff game IMO.

If Dak takes the game as cheaply as Romo did his first 3 years as a QB, he won't go any further than Romo. There is no stat to measure that though. Romo started to take the game seriously after the first clavicle break and he watched from the side-lines. He learned a lesson. It's no fun to watch, it's more fun to participate and injuries can impact careers. Then the injuries mounted. Bad karma!

Last edited:

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
I think they will show that in his first two years Dak was better at protecting the ball and not giving it away. Dak was more conservative in his approach his first two years than Romo. I know it will show more rushing TD's for Dak. Probably more yards passing for Romo with more Int's. If fans want to call Daks passes dink and dunk, I have no problem with that. The truth is, his WR's gave him very little in return as RAC. Over the past few years Brady has been the epitome of dink and dunk but his WR's get open and pad his yardage with 10 or so yards after the catch. Not a bad guy to epitomize.

The Romo v Dak comparison in their first two full seasons would be interesting. Same game planner (JG), both played behind solid O-lines their first two years, Romo had the triple threat of Tash, Dash and crash and Barber was solid his first two years. And Romo had TO, a depth threat in Terry Glen and a Wit in his prime. Fans who say Romo didn't have good teams around him his first 3 years are making excuses for one playoff game IMO.

If Dak takes the game as cheaply as Romo did his first 3 years as a QB, he won't go any further than Romo. There is no stat to measure that though. Romo started to take the game seriously after the first clavicle break and he watched from the side-lines. He learned a lesson. It's no fun to watch, it's more fun to participate and injuries can impact careers. Then the injuries mounted. Bad karma!
What it is going to show is that Romo threw the ball deep more often than his career average and more often than Dak in his first 2 years. 2007 was Romo’s 2nd year and one of his best with Terrell Owens.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
What it is going to show is that Romo threw the ball deep more often than his career average and more often than Dak in his first 2 years. 2007 was Romo’s 2nd year and one of his best with Terrell Owens.

It's ok Aviano, show me the comparison over 2007, 2008 for Romo. I want to see, the great 2007 season AND the 2008 season for Romo. 2016 and 2017 for Dak. That's one great year for each and one so-so year. Romo's first year (2006) was incomplete and 2008 was the finger break year. I guess it's kind of hard to come up with consecutive years when Romo didn't have some kind of injury. Hopefull that bad Karma doesn't come Dak's way

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
It's ok Aviano, show me the comparison over 2007, 2008 for Romo. I want to see, the great 2007 season AND the 2008 season for Romo. 2016 and 2017 for Dak. That's one great year for each and one so-so year. Romo's first year (2006) was incomplete
No worries. Will get it later this morning after I get to work and get a few free moments.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
No worries. Will get it later this morning after I get to work and get a few free moments.

no worries here either. I could do that but it's your thread. It's hard to find 2 consecutive years that Romo was healthy and didn't miss games. My hope is that's not as frequent with Dak

Galian Beast

Reaction score

That's the advantage of actually having an offensive line and a running back, and a defense that isn't getting blown out game after game.

I really think it is fascinating how people have forgotten how bad this team really was.

Defensive rankings points per game from 2006 to 2015

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
That's the advantage of actually having an offensive line and a running back, and a defense that isn't getting blown out game after game.

I really think it is fascinating how people have forgotten how bad this team really was.

Defensive rankings points per game from 2006 to 2015

With a defense that was getting blown out game after game, I would think we would be throwing the ball downfield at a higher % instead of dinking and dunking.

Last edited:

Galian Beast

Reaction score
no worries here either. I could do that but it's your thread. It's hard to find 2 consecutive years that Romo was healthy and didn't miss games. My hope is that's not as frequent with Dak

We didn't get Romo an offensive line until the end of his career.

People like to point to pro bowls that Romo got the offensive line.

Adams - Kosier - Gurode - Rivera - Colombo
Adams - Kosier - Gurode - Davis - Colombo
Adams - Procter - Gurode - Davis - Colombo
Adams - Kosier - Gurode - Davis - Colombo
Free - Kosier - Gurode - Davis - Colombo
Free - Holland - Costa - Kosier - Smith
Smith - Livings - Cook - Bernadeau - Free
Smith - Leary - Frederick - Bernadeau - Free
Smith - Leary - Frederick - Martin - Free
Smith - Collins - Frederick - Martin - Free

The earlier lines were good at run blocking but were awful at pass pro. Colombo towards the end was a turn style and was dominated in the Vikings game. Kosier was average. Bernandeau, Livings, and Holland were all garbage. Costa and cook? They couldn't even snap the ball cleanly...

Galian Beast

Reaction score
With a defense that was getting blown out game after game, I would think we would be throwing the ball downfield at a higher % instead of dinking and dunking.

That's a misconception. There's a general misconception about Romo. The guy really never had a great arm. He was a gunslinger, but more in the sense that he would take his shots, but his aggressiveness mostly surrounded putting it in tight areas. Usually that worked out... often it didn't. He always had his eyes downfield though, and teams knew that. They generally played him in cover 2 towards the middle of his career on once the book was out on him. This left the intermediate routes more available to him.

It's not the same with Dak though. The intermediate routes are being shut down. That's why Beasley had a poor year. Teams aren't afraid to get beat deep with Dak. The can sit on the underneath routes all day.

blueblood70

Reaction score
It appears Cowboys fans have become fascinated with deep passing since Dak took over as QB. I have compiled the career totals for Dak and Romo using data obtained on ESPN under "Splits" for each QB. It will list the passing stats based upon distance thrown. Here is what the breakdown looks like for the 2 QBs showing the % of total passes thrown for each distance followed by the completion % at each distance.

Romo
Behind LOS - 15.5% of total passes; 79.2% completion percentage
1-10 yards - 51.8% of total passes; 71.5% completion percentage
11-20 yards - 22% of total passes; 54.8% completion percentage
21-30 yards - 6.6% of total passes; 39.6% completion percentage
31-40 yards - 2.9% of total passes; 36% completion percentage
41+ yards - 1.1% of total passes; 28.6% completion percentage

Dak
Behind LOS - 14.2% of total passes; 84.5% completion percentage
1-10 yards - 54.8% of total passes; 70.7% completion percentage
11-20 yards - 22.2% of total passes; 53.0% completion percentage
21-30 yards - 5.6% of total passes; 37.3% completion percentage
31-40 yards - 2.5% of total passes; 34.8% completion percentage
41+ yards - 0.8% of total passes; 28.6% completion percentage

Dak's numbers are not too far off from what Romo's were for his career. It's not like our offense has been a deep pass juggernaut that stopped when Dak became the QB.
doesnt matter at this point Dak cant hold a candle to Romos Release and accuracy as well as anticipating routes and throwing guys open..lets stop comparing a Romo who was a natural Passer to dak who is a thrower.. its not a knock on Dak but Romo was simply threw a better ball, period..end of story..its like comparing apower pitcher to a technician who can hit spots, both can play great but the Power pitcher if his Fastball is way off hes in trouble, see 2017 dak, where as when a technician loses pitch or two he can go to another one and still get the job done, see Romo..I watched every Romo pass from 2003-2014 and I can tell you the eye test shows the natural passer vs thrower theory.. so can we stop the comparisons.. its not fair to dak really, let him be his own guy.. Daks biggest issues are pocket presence ie knowing where and when to step up and keep eyes down field and make big play before running and also his footwork, when he has time to set his feet and follow through he can hit most throws and lastly just trusting the route and anticipating and letting the ball go on time before his receiver comes open..he seems to only want to throw if he SEES a guy is wide open.. hopefully experience can get this remedied.. Romo wasn't perect but he was anatural at those things..

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
Im talking about “deep passes” specifically. So I guess 30+ yds?

Similar percentages is cool, but if Romo has say 1000 attempts and Dak has 30 it would suggest a larger sample size is needed for Dak, and also that despite the pcts being close/equal one did it considerably more often.

Like there are a handful of players in the league with a similar 3 point pct as Steph Curry but his volume at that pct is what’s so impressive.
Also a lower volume would likely indicate a more conservative approach.

It’s not a lot of work at all. Most times pcts are listed the attempts/completions are right there as well

That's whats so great about percentages. They account for sample size.

dfense

Reaction score
Those are his 2007 stats, Romo was signed in 2003. So his 3rd year he didn't start, but his 3rd season starting he threw for 3,448 yards, 26 tds and 14 ints in 13 games.
lol, ok, I should have said his third year of playing. Does this mean Dak gets three more years before you compare him to Romo's third year of actually stepping on the field?

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
doesnt matter at this point Dak cant hold a candle to Romos Release and accuracy as well as anticipating routes and throwing guys open..lets stop comparing a Romo who was a natural Passer to dak who is a thrower.. its not a knock on Dak but Romo was simply threw a better ball, period..end of story..its like comparing apower pitcher to a technician who can hit spots, both can play great but the Power pitcher if his Fastball is way off hes in trouble, see 2017 dak, where as when a technician loses pitch or two he can go to another one and still get the job done, see Romo..I watched every Romo pass from 2003-2014 and I can tell you the eye test shows the natural passer vs thrower theory.. so can we stop the comparisons.. its not fair to dak really, let him be his own guy.. Daks biggest issues are pocket presence ie knowing where and when to step up and keep eyes down field and make big play before running and also his footwork, when he has time to set his feet and follow through he can hit most throws and lastly just trusting the route and anticipating and letting the ball go on time before his receiver comes open..he seems to only want to throw if he SEES a guy is wide open.. hopefully experience can get this remedied.. Romo wasn't perect but he was anatural at those things..
Romo was great in terms of team records, compared to his peers he wasn't elite. And all we can do is compare two seasons since that's all Dak has played. Care to take an eye test on that?
The whole "can only throw to a guy wide open" is false and ridiculous to suggest. It's about as false as those who continue to parrot "can't throw a back shoulder fade."

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
That's a misconception. There's a general misconception about Romo. The guy really never had a great arm. He was a gunslinger, but more in the sense that he would take his shots, but his aggressiveness mostly surrounded putting it in tight areas. Usually that worked out... often it didn't. He always had his eyes downfield though, and teams knew that. They generally played him in cover 2 towards the middle of his career on once the book was out on him. This left the intermediate routes more available to him.

It's not the same with Dak though. The intermediate routes are being shut down. That's why Beasley had a poor year. Teams aren't afraid to get beat deep with Dak. The can sit on the underneath routes all day.
Fair enough. So if I were to compare a QB like Brees, who didn’t really have a defense or running game and defenses respect his ability to go long, how do you think it would compare?

HungryLion

Reaction score
Ya know @Aviano90 in hindsight you should have seen this coming when you started a thread comparing Romo and Dak. As innocent and simple of a comparison it was. Lol. It brought out the people who aren’t emotionally over Romo’s retirement, in full force.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Ya know @Aviano90 in hindsight you should have seen this coming when you started a thread comparing Romo and Dak. As innocent and simple of a comparison it was. Lol. It brought out the people who aren’t emotionally over Romo’s retirement, in full force.
True story. Some just can't let it go.