Dak vs. Romo - Deep passing

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
Who wanna bet a red penny the Stephen Jones and Jerry knows this and it just one of many reasons they are already thinking contract. What's interesting is many fans seem to have cooked a notion that this is Dak's prove it year but somehow I don't get the impression FO got that memo. It seems they are already sold......

I doubted Dak was legit for most of the 2016 season. After that game in Pittsburgh, I told myself I could not doubt him any longer.

Dak had some rough outings in 2017, but as the stat above shows, he was on his way to a great season before the team fell apart in general.

I don't think he'll be the passer Romo was, but few are.

btcutter

Reaction score
Analytics are gonna be the death of real football. I watched Romo, Aikman, and Staubach trust me Dak ain't on any of those guys level. He may have benefited from stepping into a better situation than the others, but I have yet to see Dak wow me with his talent.

Yes, "Trust the tape". Statistics can be very deceptive. Team under Romo is a pass first offense vs run first with Dak. Therefore, defensive personnel is different. But the biggest difference is what cannot be shown in these stats. There are passes that Tony are willing to make and can complete vs those Dak won't even attempt.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
Yes a 2 year player who is made out to be a scrub because he can't pass deep vs. a QB that some consider to be Hall of Fame worthy. I would think the numbers would be night and day different based upon the perceptions, don't you think?

Their offensive lines were certainly different. Romo was running for his life most of his career.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
Again, averages. You are compiling Romo's entire career but the picture it gives you is that Romo's entire career amounted to numbers the Dak is averaging in just two years of playing football in the league.

I do suspect a lot of what we are seeing from Romo's stats have to do with the awful Jason Garrett offense. That of course has carried on to Dak. Just because they put Linehan in charge didn't change the playbook.

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
It’s not. Air yards is a relatively new statistic. They most certainly don’t have that data going back to 2001. ESPN doesn’t even track QBR going back that far because they claim to not have sufficient archive footage.

No, it is based on how far downfield the pass was, not how many yards were gained. ESPN has the splits for that since 2002 -- four years before Tony Romo ever threw a pass in the NFL.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dak needs at least 6 sec + to throw a ball over 10 yards hence his completion ratio when he's rolling out of the pocket as he has no Receiver anticipation skills,one of his many flaws.
Please don't compare a qualified QB such as Tony to Dak it simply insults the game to its core!

conner01

Reaction score
There are many variables to consider...far too many to derive any true meaning from a statistical comparison.
It is impossible to really compare players from different eras or different supporting cast
There are 11 guys on the offense and each one doing his job makes the next guys job easier
If the oline gives 10 seconds to scan the field or 3 seconds is a huge difference
If you have a dominate run game that helps QB

LandryFan

Proud Native Texan, USMC-1972-79, USN-1983-2000
Reaction score
It is impossible to really compare players from different eras or different supporting cast
There are 11 guys on the offense and each one doing his job makes the next guys job easier
If the oline gives 10 seconds to scan the field or 3 seconds is a huge difference
If you have a dominate run game that helps QB
Yep, what you said plus a thousand other things...

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
Dak needs at least 6 sec + to throw a ball over 10 yards hence his completion ratio when he's rolling out of the pocket as he has no Receiver anticipation skills,one of his many flaws.
Please don't compare a qualified QB such as Tony to Dak it simply insults the game to its core!

Suggest you go look at some of the dimes he was throwing in the GIFS in this very thread, Pappy

Galian Beast

Reaction score
So I think the problem with comparing stats is that first assumption is apples to apples.

We're really talking apples and oranges.

Dak is on a significantly better team than Romo had on average for his career.

Most QBs tend to have greater success throwing with a lead than trailing.

The presence of Elliott, this offensive line, and even this defense gives Prescott significant advantages Romo never had consistently through out his career.

I think that's what people are referring to when they say that stats can be misleading but what they experienced is night and day between the two quarterbacks.

You see it in their redzone efficiency and success, 3rd down conversion rating, down to their QB ratings in games lost.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
When was our passing offense with Romo ever 26th in the league ?

We were last in the league last year with pass attempts over 20 yards.

When did defenses ever stack the box with Romo?

Dak needs an All World OL and league leading RB to be effective.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Unfortunately, this data is just for the actual yards of the play and not for the air yards traveled. So while I believe that the analysis is still fine as a blunt tool, it is not necessarily indicative of the depths of the field to which a QB will throw.
Romo shouldn’t be confused with Dan Fouts, but he was very willing to throw the ball to the deep middle of the field. Dak is just a dink and dunk guy.
Here’s a stat for Dak slobberers to chew on: under Dak “The Mad Bomber” Prescott, the Cowboys are 31st in the league in 20 yard pass plays since 2016:

http://pfref.com/tiny/GIERf
If Dak didn’t have a Star on his helmet these slobberers would be barfing. Lol