Dak's advancement

Nav22

Reaction score

1. You clearly can’t comprehend what I wrote. That strike to Cooper was on the FIRST SCRIPTED SERID of the game, where Linehan hit exactly what he wanted on single overage on the slot. After the script goes bye-bye traditionally with Dak, he sucks for three quarters floundering while the ‘sucky’ defense continues to hold opponents to about 13 points a game.

2. Who is arguing about Cooper? What your basically implying is Dak is trash and Cooper bailed him out. And like one of the posters pointed out, that success was basically predicated on single man coverage on the outside, and no single safety help with CBs jumping the routes. And Cooper had to basically yell at Dak that this was what defenses were giving him. Basic coverages.. Any decent QB would have recognized that from Day 1 of the season and forced defenses to adjust.

And then teams began shifting coverage towards Cooper; which started with the Colts and Dak looked like trash once again, even against garbage teams like Tampa Bay.

3. His statistical numbers were obfuscated in a meaningless game against the Giants, a team in total disarray in disarray and even then his performance was over-hyped, he struggled for significant periods on end and he got bailed out on a prayer he threw to Beasley, which was a stupid move by the FO anyways, because Beasley was already struggling with ankle issues. There is a reason the FO played Dak all game long to ‘practice’.
Bottle up those SWEET, DELICIOUS tears of yours for me when Dak signs his new deal, will you?

LOL! Dak wins. You lose.

“ANY QB could go 32-16 with this dominant supporting cast our front office put together, even a scrub like Dak! Oh, but out front office sucks, that’s why they’re going to pay Dak!”

BAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
But at what cost? Dallas doesn't want to develop a running QB destined for injuries. You can bet that Jerry/Stephen/Jason et. al. told Linnehan to run Dak sparingly.

All of Dak's weaknesses are highlited in the pocket. All of his strengths are leveraged by running.

We could develop a good running QB or a poor pocket QB. I'd rather have a good running QB for a short time than a poor pocket QB for a long time.

We should have been running him throughout his rookie contract and making the most of it. If he turned into a pocket passer, great, we extend him. If he doesn't, and he hasn't, we move on.

We've been wasting the opportunity we had with a good, cheap running QB by "saving" him for a mediocre career as a pocket passer.

Dak is what he is. Not letting him run won't turn him into Brady.

Verdict

Reaction score
You sound silly.

At this point you Dak haters just sound like a bunch of whiney trolls. How many pro bowls and 4th quarter comebacks does he have to make until you admit you were wrong?

I'm actually probably more pro Dak than most posters on this board. You have no idea what you are even talking about in this particular instance.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
I was never a fan of Dak in college and hated the pick. I didn’t buy into the hype his rookie year, and saw the struggles his second year in the league. It continued into the first half of last year as well. I’m not sold on Dak, but I am really encouraged with what I saw the last 1/3 of the season. So I’m going into this season with a bit of optimism on Dak.

I hope he takes the next step in his progression as a QB. I’d like to see better accuracy on the intermediate and long balls. I’d also like to see his ball placement, anticipation and pocket awareness improve.

Verdict

Reaction score
All of Dak's weaknesses are highlited in the pocket. All of his strengths are leveraged by running.

We could develop a good running QB or a poor pocket QB. I'd rather have a good running QB for a short time than a poor pocket QB for a long time.

We should have been running him throughout his rookie contract and making the most of it. If he turned into a pocket passer, great, we extend him. If he doesn't, and he hasn't, we move on.

We've been wasting the opportunity we had with a good, cheap running QB by "saving" him for a mediocre career as a pocket passer.

If Dak would run between 4 and 10 times per game (depending on what the defense gives him) it would pose serious problems for defenses. It seems as though the Cowboys have coached him into staying in the pocket too much, if that is possible.

Verdict

Reaction score
One might successfully argue that Dak hasn't had the benefit of a decent receiver until Cooper came along, because Dez sucked and we have seen the limitations of the supporting receiver cast. We were a lot worse off at receiver than we realized.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

so your desire is to change NFL into big 12 run and shoot...err spread offense with running QB....cam newton who is bigger, faster badder than Dak got injured because he ran too much. what do you think is going to happen to Dak. Plus running QBs get neutralized in the playoffs, because the defenses tend to be better and will eliminate that part of his game. if he doesn't learn to throw from the pocket, he will be a regular season champion and a post season failure...but I am sure its everybody else's fault, except for Dak.....

any QB in the NFL to succeed, needs to have the ability to stay in the pocket and pass. throwing on the run, running ability are all gravy.....icing on the cake if you will

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
One might successfully argue that Dak hasn't had the benefit of a decent receiver until Cooper came along, because Dez sucked and we have seen the limitations of the supporting receiver cast. We were a lot worse off at receiver than we realized.
once again, its everybody else and the butler's fault, but not Dak

817Gill

Reaction score
brady won superbowl in year 2 of his career.

and this "dude has only played 3 seasons" is just an old excuse. what's going to be his excuse this year....he has only played 4 years!!!. Dak has been average in 2016, 2017, 2018. and people take that as an insult. on the one hand they say, its a team sport, on the other hand, they point to him having had 3 winning seasons and argue everyone under the table that no other QB has ever done that...... on the one hand, they excuse him when he doesn't have the strongest supporting cast around him, on the other hand, they give him credit when he does have those resources and team succeeds...... the dude needs a really strong supporting cast to succeed.....without it he is below average. he is unable to lift the team and players around him.....I am sure somebody will once again point to the last giants game as a proof that he is capable.......

and here we go again, with stat lines....which prove nothing about all the issues that have been outlined about his short comings and ceilings.

and let me ask if any of those guys had the strong supporting cast Dak has had in his first 3 years.

he played with Dez, witten, Zeke and the best OL in football in 2016. he had zeke, cooper, and a good OL in 2018.....with the defense struggling, against a good team, he couldn't lift the offense against a porous defense and win a shootout...but again, I am sure someone will point to the giants game.....

didn't Wilson win a superbowl in his second year and go to another one in his 3rd year?

and again, I repeat. there is nothing wrong with being a bus driver. why does everyone want to paint Dak as an elite QB, which he is not.
A lot of things wrong here lol but keep thinking what you’re thinking boss

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

Beasley is a very good slot WR. If you're passing, he's a real asset.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
I was never a fan of Dak in college and hated the pick. I didn’t buy into the hype his rookie year, and saw the struggles his second year in the league. It continued into the first half of last year as well. I’m not sold on Dak, but I am really encouraged with what I saw the last 1/3 of the season. So I’m going into this season with a bit of optimism on Dak.

I hope he takes the next step in his progression as a QB. I’d like to see better accuracy on the intermediate and long balls. I’d also like to see his ball placement, anticipation and pocket awareness improve.

The ball placement for Dak is getting better. Last year look at the TD passes to Cooper in the Commanders and Eagles games, the TD pass to Gallup against Seattle in the playoffs, and the pass to Zeke late in the Detroit game that set up the winning field goal.

Those are throws I'm not sure he makes early in his career. This tells me he is improving and his development is on schedule.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Dak is a better pocket passer than people give him credit for. The huge misses stand out in fans' memory, but looking at his whole body of work, he completed 67% of his passes on 459 attempts.

He'll never be Drew Brees in the pocket, but people acting like we should build a running offense around him like Lamar Jackson or use him up and throw him out after his rookie contract expires are ridiculous.

Verdict

Reaction score
Beasley is a very good slot WR. If you're passing, he's a real asset.

He's a complimentary receiver. He's not a feature receiver. At least that's my opinion.

When he didn't get any help teams shut him down. 3 catches per game is pedestrian production.

morat1959

Reaction score
Dak is a better pocket passer than people give him credit for. The huge misses stand out in fans' memory, but looking at his whole body of work, he completed 67% of his passes on 459 attempts.

He'll never be Drew Brees in the pocket, but people acting like we should build a running offense around him like Lamar Jackson or use him up and throw him out after his rookie contract expires are ridiculous.
Very seldom is the ball placed in a spot where the receivers can gain the max yards after catch. That’s even when he has no rush and plenty of time to throw the ball. If you can’t see this, you don’t know what your looking at.

HungryLion

Reaction score
you asked for examples, I provided. so we agree, that Dak is not in those QBs league....and I can name 10 more.

with that said, I see the same issues plugging him in 2018 as it did in 2016. he maybe more experienced, but he is making the same fundamental mistakes. I expected a lot more. sorry, not seeing it.

and my point regarding the OL, is to my original post. he needs everything around him to be strong and perfect for him to succeed, because he can't lift himself or those around him. he needs strong support to succeed, which makes him a bus driver. and there is nothing wrong with being a bus driver, because then you can plan around him and still succeed.

I disagree that he had the worst receiving group in the league.... it was average group. cooper was a #1 WR....perhaps a top 5 WR. and that again, is to my point, Dak needs really strong players around him to succeed.

I asked for examples of QB’s who in their 3rd year were carrying a team. Brady wasn’t, nor was Brees.

So your examples were poor answers. Why? Because you can’t name 3rd year QB’s who carried their teams to a championship because it doesn’t happen.

Lastly, the receiving crop prior to Cooper joining the team was TRASH last year. Utter garbage.
They receivers and tight ends were nowhere close to average.

They had guys starting at receiver that haven’t even been signed by other teams yet this off season.

Last edited:

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I asked for examples of QB’s who in their 3rd year were carrying a team. Brady wasn’t, nor was Brees.

So your examples were poor answers. Why? Because you can’t name 3rd year QB’s who carried their teams to a championship because it doesn’t happen.

Lastly, the receiving crop prior to Cooper joining the team was TRASH last year. Utter garbage.
They receivers and tight ends were nowhere close to average.

They had guys starting at receiver that haven’t even been signed by other teams yet this off season.
brady wasn't? so Brady winning the superbowl in his second year doesn't count!!! and your focus is only on QBs in their 3rd year.... so maybe I should say Dak couldn't win the superbowl in his second year...will that make it better for you?

and WR group was trash, maybe the QB had a little something to do with it....Gallup is trash...lets remember that...Beasley who just got a 29M contract is trash....maybe the QB was trash and couldn't help his teammates....

like I said, Dak needs a top 10 WR group, top 10 TE group, top 10 OL, top RB, an a top 10 defense to boot, for this team to succeed.....that's why he is called the bus driver.

817Gill

Reaction score
yeah, it always ends this way in the end, when facts are presented and Dak can't be defended any longer
Just don’t have the mental energy for 6 back and forth messages and no one convincing the other. You’re too far gone to bring back based on your last post so that’s the que lmao