Dak's extension will come sooner or later

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
If they extend him this year they're likely in the 60 range without having proven anything other than he chokes in the playoffs. This option gives him 1 more year to prove himself. If he blows it again, move on and draft a QB who doesn't hit the panic button in the big games, if he lights it up in the playoffs and gets us to at least the NFCCG then extend him.
I'm not completely against it, but if you do take a wait and see approach and Dak does take this team to a championship game or super bowl he aint coming back. There will be a line of teams to bid on him and Dak would be foolish to not use that against Jerry.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
I normally agree with you but the person signing the check is getting fleeced by a mid-QB.
I dunno.

I think the billionaire, that could decide he never wants you to take another snap for the Cowboys, and has the power to make that a reality has the leverage.

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I'm not completely against it, but if you do take a wait and see approach and Dak does take this team to a championship game or super bowl he aint coming back. There will be a line of teams to bid on him and Dak would be foolish to not use that against Jerry.
If he does that he will sign a long term deal here. This is where the money is with endorsements. He won't hop off the gravy train.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
That is why I keep saying go all in or rebuild. Or keeping doing what we are doing and win the Division every other year and get bounced from the playoffs early.

In 2 years we will be wondering how the Redksins became better than us.

Extend Dak and go all in. Make sure the new contract is trade-able. If it does not work out over the next year or 2 trade him for picks to help rebuild and/or find your new QB.

For the Dak haters. We are stuck with him this year anyway. If you spread out his contract over 2 additional years your still stuck with him and will not even be on the roster paying for dead money.

Sign a 5 year contract that is designed for 2 and a trade. This gives GM Jeruh some time to develop a potential replacement and gives Dallas extra draft capital when he leaves.

Seems pretty simple to me.
When you're not just bashing on Lance you make some solid points. All in or suffer through the rebuild phase really are the only options here. Another draft class and hoping to hit on a couple bottom tier free agents while handing out massive deals to the top of the roster wont work. Too many holes on this roster as it stands today. Make a serious super bowl run and likely sacrifice the 2026/2027 seasons or look to cash in on some players now and plan a rebuild for 2025/2026.

Chasing6

Reaction score
When you're not just bashing on Lance you make some solid points. All in or suffer through the rebuild phase really are the only options here. Another draft class and hoping to hit on a couple bottom tier free agents while handing out massive deals to the top of the roster wont work. Too many holes on this roster as it stands today. Make a serious super bowl run and likely sacrifice the 2026/2027 seasons or look to cash in on some players now and plan a rebuild for 2025/2026.
You will figure out the Trance situation soon enough.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
If he does that he will sign a long term deal here. This is where the money is with endorsements. He won't hop off the gravy train.
Fair point, but a playoff winning Dak that hits the open market may be laughing at $60M per year if you get 4-5 serious bidders.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Time will tell but I'll give him the opportunity to sink or swim. I wont be deciding that for him.
The Niners decided it for him. I did not decide it.

The Niners gave up the world to get him. It had to be extremely humbling/embarrassing/humiliating situation for them to come to that conclusion and punt after just 2 years of his deal.

There has been no better opportunity for any first round pick to start day 1, than with the Niners roster in decades.

If/When the Niners miss there current SB window, it will always be tied to the Trance trade and will go down as the worst draft trade in NFL history.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Fair point, but a playoff winning Dak that hits the open market may be laughing at $60M per year if you get 4-5 serious bidders.
Either way GM Jeruh will still not have a plan to replace Dak after the season.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
That is why I keep saying go all in or rebuild. Or keeping doing what we are doing and win the Division every other year and get bounced from the playoffs early.

In 2 years we will be wondering how the Redksins became better than us.

Extend Dak and go all in. Make sure the new contract is trade-able. If it does not work out over the next year or 2 trade him for picks to help rebuild and/or find your new QB.

For the Dak haters. We are stuck with him this year anyway. If you spread out his contract over 2 additional years your still stuck with him and will not even be on the roster paying for dead money.

Sign a 5 year contract that is designed for 2 and a trade. This gives GM Jeruh some time to develop a potential replacement and gives Dallas extra draft capital when he leaves.

Seems pretty simple to me.
I’ve been saying the same but it’s clear they here no intentions to rebuild…at least I don’t think.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Stop being obtuse, it's been pointed out multiple times by multiple people that we can free up plenty of cap space with a few other restructures.
What about my post made you think I was being obtuse? I ask you about his 59 million cap hit and you talk about what “multiple people” have told you. Ok I’m not privy on that I see a 59 million cap hit and a owner saying he wants to go all in and it’s not making sense to me.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
The person that has the leverage is the person that signs the checks.
The person that has the leverage is the one who is fine with the existing contract. Cousins and Mayfield are seeking big contracts as free agents. Prescott knows he’d get significantly more than either of those two. Dak’s a free agent in 12 months. If that’s fine by Jerry, then Jerry has the leverage. If that’s not fine by Jerry, Dak and his agent have all the leverage. The “moving party” in this scenario has to encourage a new agreement. Jerry Jones and France know full well what Dak will garner in free agency. They’re both experienced professionals. If Jerry Jones wants Dak Prescott to be the Cowboys’ quarterback beyond 2024 he knows exactly how much it’s going to cost. CZ and Cowboys fans notwithstanding, this is 100% Jerry’$ decision.

Whiskey Cowboy

Reaction score
We have 8 starters as free agents. Even if we could sign all of them it would not make us a better team.

We are not going to find 8 starters in the draft and we don't have 8 starters sitting in our bench.

So Dak holds all the cards. GM Jeruh can pretend he wants to start a rebuild, when we know he does not. Never mind trying to take a step forward with improving this roster.

I know, I know, at the end of the season, it will be Dak's fault because he could not overcome GM Jerruh's incompetence.
we don't need a rebuild. We need cap space to build on top of whats here. Dak did his thing last season, and did it well until he didn't. Choking in the playoffs is rapidly becoming his calling card. Can you really justify paying a guy like that $60m/year? What would this team look like with a cheaper, younger QB, and a ton of cap space to plug holes and bring in solid to great contributors?

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
I’m not sure it will. I’m not sure it should be if the last three playoff losses are looked at. There’s only so much you can do to help a QB whose confidence appears to be shot when the lights are the brightest. In all three of those losses Dak could’ve thrown more picks than he actually had. It usually doesn’t get any better.

mardwin

Reaction score
I dunno.

I think the billionaire, that could decide he never wants you to take another snap for the Cowboys, and has the power to make that a reality has the leverage.
You are living in an alternate world where the Cowboys owner would do the rational thing.

MWH1967

The Cook
Reaction score
God bless....no one is going to beat their chest in January...ever!

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
The person that has the leverage is the one who is fine with the existing contract. Cousins and Mayfield are seeking big contracts as free agents. Prescott knows he’d get significantly more than either of those two. Dak’s a free agent in 12 months. If that’s fine by Jerry, then Jerry has the leverage. If that’s not fine by Jerry, Dak and his agent have all the leverage. The “moving party” in this scenario has to encourage a new agreement. Jerry Jones and France know full well what Dak will garner in free agency. They’re both experienced professionals. If Jerry Jones wants Dak Prescott to be the Cowboys’ quarterback beyond 2024 he knows exactly how much it’s going to cost. CZ and Cowboys fans notwithstanding, this is 100% Jerry’$ decision.
Jerry literally has the power to sit Dak on the bench for a year, pay him to sit on the bench of course, and the wash his hands with him afterwards.

That sounds like the leverage to me.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
You are living in an alternate world where the Cowboys owner would do the rational thing.
I know it won't happen.

But the person with the power to bench you and not let you take another snap sounds like the person with the real leverage.