Dak's extension will come sooner or later

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
IMO…the pause on the serious negotiations on the Dak extension by the team confirms that they have no intentions of going after any big name FAs. Because if they did, they would already have to have made some kind of Dak extension done before getting anyone on the higher end of free agent cost.

OR - they would have already made clear if they intended to just let him ride out the last year of his deal. Which they may still do but their habit of putting off tough decisions comes back to bite them every time.

The Cowboys FO got themselves in this mess because of the way they handled the Dak contract situation back in 2019-20 when they could have signed him for a lot less than they did in 2021 and he would already have most likely played out that contract. Remember in 2020, they franchise tagged him because of their indecision.

If they wanted to move on NOW from a deal they had made with Dak it would have been much easier to do than it is now.

Whatever anyone thinks of the most polarizing player in recent Cowboys history, the mess we have now with the cap and the QB situation is a self inflicted wound that didn’t have to happen this way. Even If any of us think it’s time to move on from #4, the cap ramifications of that will greatly hamper any major roster upgrade this year.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
I’m not sure where you get that Jerry is determined to keep Dak.

They’ve not even discussed a new contract at this point and all the news coming out points more towards Dak playing out this last year than receiving a new contract.
You could be onto something….

While cutting Dak post June 1 saves a ton of 2024 cap, and extending/restructuring might help now, Jerry doesn’t have to do anything.

This is the ALL IN he’s talking about.

Let Dak play out the contract

If we win the SB, great. Dak gets his $$$$. From us or another team. He will be UFA.

If not, Dak is still UFA and we walk.

That way, Jerry doesn’t have to fire Dak.

#Lance is his QB insurance.

This is how Jerry operates.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
When Dak is UFA next March, and leaves for mega $$$$, Jerry can always say he was outbid by another team.

This puts all the hate on Dak.

It won’t be Jerry’s fault.

#All-IN

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
You could be onto something….

While cutting Dak post June 1 saves a ton of 2024 cap, and extending/restructuring might help now, Jerry doesn’t have to do anything.

This is the ALL IN he’s talking about.

Let Dak play out the contract

If we win the SB, great. Dak gets his $$$$. From us or another team. He will be UFA.

If not, Dak is still UFA and we walk.

That way, Jerry doesn’t have to fire Dak.

#Lance is his QB insurance.

This is how Jerry operates.
:lmao:Lance is QB insurance! :lmao:

Blitzen

Reaction score
It would have helped the Cap situation to have a deal done by March 13th if we were going to be very active in Free Agency. If needed we’ll release or restructure other veterans like Smith and Gallup.

But Dak holds all the leverage this time with no trade and no franchise tag clause . He also is still under contract due to receive 59.5 million on final season of current deal.

And with Cap increased this year above a quarter billion new Market Price to be established for Franchise QB’s. It’s expected to be 55+ million .

Regardless whatever fans believe or think about Dak is meaningless . It’s all about Jethro . And I certainly don’t see any situation where he walks away from Dak. I expect a deal done by Training Camp or Preseason. Buckle up. Dak ain’t going anywhere.

I don’t understand why the team would wait to sign Dak to a long-term extension much later in the off-season. It would not assist them at all this off-season by waiting.

I cannot imagine the reasoning to give a large extension long after the benefits expire. And that’s with me taking Jones’ contract mishaps into consideration. I think Dak gets the extension before free agency or he does not get the extension.

diamonddelts

Reaction score
I have to think if Stephen/Jerry are willing and able to make it thru the FA period without extending Dak, then the bridge is burned. Both parties likely have an understanding at that point to go separate ways after the 2024 season regardless of how it plays out.
Oh we all know how the season is going to play out. Groundhog day + 1000 yard stare come playoff time.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
IMG-0472.gif

Jimbo123

Reaction score
I don't get why we needed another Dak extension thread unless you felt you weren't getting enough attention in the other ones...

Anyways, before the cap increase Dak had a lot more leverage. He still has some leverage with the NTC but the cap increase took them from 19mil over the cap to 9mil. That is a much more palatable number for the team to work with. A couple restructures and boom, they are back in business without touching Dak's contract. They can eat his cap hit and make this a prove it year. If they want to force a trade situation they can announce an open competition at QB for TC/PS. Dak will crack under the pressure and pack up his LV handbags and demand a trade.

The idea that Dak holds every card is nowhere near true. Jones has options.
Cooper Rush is not going to beat out Dak for the starting job.

Jimbo123

Reaction score
The person that has the leverage is the person that signs the checks.
WRONG, WRONG, WRONG The person who has the leverage is the person who provides the service. Dak will get paid $60M in 2025, no matter who he plays for. Dak has options, Jerry has Cooper Rush

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
WRONG, WRONG, WRONG The person who has the leverage is the person who provides the service. Dak will get paid $60M in 2025, no matter who he plays for. Dak has options, Jerry has Cooper Rush
Jerry could literally say "Sit Dak, don't play him another snap, we'll pay him this year, and he's gone the next because I will not offer him another contract".

That's leverage.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Jerry could literally say "Sit Dak, don't play him another snap, we'll pay him this year, and he's gone the next because I will not offer him another contract".

That's leverage.
No, that’s ignorance not using or trading your assets. Even if Trey or Cooper beat Prescott out for starting job you wouldn’t just sit him.

You’d make a deal to recover part of his salary and or potential trade for picks or players.

And if you just sat him for spite it would become a public nightmare or discriminatory situation which the union could investigate.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I’m all for moving on from Prescott. Trade him and get some picks . There’s expected to be 5 1st round QB’s taken in draft.

McMicah

Reaction score
Honest question: If you knew with 100% certainty that the Cowboys would never win a SB with Dak, wouldn’t the best move be to move on from him ASAP, even this year? The benefits are you get to see if Lance was worth a 4th and you’ll likely get a better draft position next year.

I think that at least half the people here think Dak can’t carry this to a SB but he’s also so expensive that you can’t build a team that can cover down on him. It’s purgatory. We keep pretending the lack of playoff success is some anomaly that will get fixed the next year. The best chance you had at a SB was the last 3 years. The Window is basically closed.

You have no LT, no C, an aging RG, and a regressed RT. You have no real WR2. You have no real RB. You have 1 LB to be excited about. You have a bad 1T situation and an aging LE. You have a CB1 coming off a major injury and a CB3 with a nagging one. You can’t afford a single top tier FA contract bc of a qb that has given you NOTHING in the postseason.

You need $ and picks, and you need to accept that you can either truly go all in with resignings and mortgage the next 5-8 years away, or you can begin a rebuild now. Last year was my last year to believe in this fantasy. I’m in to rebuild now

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
It would have helped the Cap situation to have a deal done by March 13th if we were going to be very active in Free Agency. If needed we’ll release or restructure other veterans like Smith and Gallup.

But Dak holds all the leverage this time with no trade and no franchise tag clause . He also is still under contract due to receive 59.5 million on final season of current deal.
Dak only has leverage if they're committed to keeping Dak.
If they're ok with moving on from Dak, they have the leverage.

Leverage always goes to the guy more willing to accept "No Deal".

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I’m all for moving on from Prescott. Trade him and get some picks . There’s expected to be 5 1st round QB’s taken in draft.
That's the ideal.

Pressure Dak into accepting a deal by not spending in free agency, especially on the oline, while signaling that Tyron and Biadasz are gone.