Dak's extension will come sooner or later

CowboysRule

Reaction score
Time will tell. However, I know you don't become a better QB by sitting for 5 years. Especially when you only played 1 year at a lower level college.
Plenty of QB's sit for a year or more. The guy who just beat our $60m/yr QB, Love, sat for multiple years. Romo sat for a few years. Even Mahomes sat out his first year (sans one game at the end I think).

Someone made a post here awhile back that basically said you can't get Mahomes if you're happy with Alex Smith. Dak is Alex Smith. I'm not saying Lance is Mahomes but the longer with stick with Dak the longer we endure great regular seasons and quick playoff exits.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Plenty of QB's sit for a year or more. The guy who just beat our $60m/yr QB, Love, sat for multiple years. Romo sat for a few years. Even Mahomes sat out his first year (sans one game at the end I think).

Someone made a post here awhile back that basically said you can't get Mahomes if you're happy with Alex Smith. Dak is Alex Smith. I'm not saying Lance is Mahomes but the longer with stick with Dak the longer we endure great regular seasons and quick playoff exits.
Dak and Romo played QB for multiple years prior to sitting. Not just 1 year.

Chasing6

Reaction score
It used to be Daks skill (HAHAHA) that Dak fans preached as a reason we can’t move on from him.

Now it’s his cap hit.

My, how the once proud have fallen.
It has nothing to do with his cap hit.

1. We have no one to replace him with. NO ONE.
2. Jeruh will refuse to rebuild, trying to stay relevant at 81.

I would be fine with moving on from Dak if we had a legit replacement or if we decided to rebuild.

GM Jeruh has no plan as usual.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I know it won't happen.

But the person with the power to bench you and not let you take another snap sounds like the person with the real leverage.
Yea right . Lol

Obviously you don’t understand leverage in the NFL.

And remember Dak is ultimately a member of the Players Union which would take action if benched out of spite.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
It has nothing to do with his cap hit.

1. We have no one to replace him with. NO ONE.
2. Jeruh will refuse to rebuild, trying to stay relevant at 81.

I would be fine with moving on from Dak if we had a legit replacement or if we decided to rebuild.

GM Jeruh has no plan as usual.
They don’t care. Dak is only cause they can find for our lack of more success.

Apparently he’s the only one who choked in the playoffs. The rest of the team was headed to the Super Bowl. Lol

Yes, we all want a greater QB. So does most of the league.

There’s several greater QB’s, some Elite, who haven’t won a championship yet either. Do they all suk too??

Last edited:

Chasing6

Reaction score
They don’t care. Dak is only cause they can find for our lack of more success.

Apparently he’s the only one who choked in the playoffs. The rest of the team was headed to the Super Bowl. Lol

Yes, we all want a greater QB. So does most of the league.

There’s several greater QB’s, some Elite, who haven’t won a championship yet either. Do they all suk too??
I want a greater DE than Micah and a better WR than CD as well. I want everyone to be better.

But we have to live in reality.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
It would have helped the Cap situation to have a deal done by March 13th if we were going to be very active in Free Agency. If needed we’ll release or restructure other veterans like Smith and Gallup. But Dak holds all the leverage this time with no trade and no franchise tag clause . He also is still under contract due to receive 59.5 million on final season of current deal.And with Cap increased this year above a quarter billion new Market Price to be established for Franchise QB’s. It’s expected to be 55+ million . Regardless whatever fans believe or think about Dak is meaningless . It’s all about Jethro . And I certainly don’t see any situation where he walks away from Dak. I expect a deal done by Training Camp or Preseason. Buckle up. Dak ain’t going anywhere.
Diehard I don't like it, but I think you're correct, Dak's not going anywhere soon, thanks to Jethro.
But I hope he doesn't give Dak all the money we need for hiring Free Agents this year. This team badly needs immediate help in the trenches on both sides of the ball.

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Diehard I don't like it, but I think you're correct, Dak's not going anywhere soon, thanks to Jethro.
But I hope he doesn't give Dak all the money we need for hiring Free Agents this year. This team badly needs immediate help in the trenches on both sides of the ball.
Hopefully they’ll back end his new deal and cut him a huge signing bonus so initial years won’t hit Cap as hard. Much like his current contract.

zekecowboy

Reaction score
It confuses me how many can be so wrong about this. All the talking heads say Dak has all the leverage. That's all I've heard for months. Well, he really doesn't.

That said I still expect the Cowboys to fold like a cheap suit.
Dallas will have enough money to pay Dak for the 2024 season. It was kind of the NFL to raise the salary cap enough to help Dallas out. End of the 2024 season Dallas can go in a new direction especially if Dallas chokes again in the playoffs.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Yea right . Lol

Obviously you don’t understand leverage in the NFL.

And remember Dak is ultimately a member of the Players Union which would take action if benched out of spite.
I understand that a millionaire has no leverage over a billionaire.

Dak will no longer be a Cowboy if Jerry decides to not offer him a contract.

Thats all the leverage.

The players union!? HAHAHA Russell Wilson says “Hi! Dak fan!”

Diehardblues

Reaction score

Thats all the leverage.

Russell Wilson still has 85 million coming to him from Denver. Not a bad severance check.

Again, you’re not grasping what leverage entails on these particular negotiations.

Nobody is disputing that ultimately the owner decides who can be on the team.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Thats all the leverage.

Players Union :muttley: Ya his Dak-Love runs deep so pay no mind to the neutral talk he sells.
He is a platinum card Dak lover member!

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Players Union :muttley: Ya his Dak-Love runs deep so pay no mind to the neutral talk he sells.
He is a platinum card Dak lover member!
Oh I know.

He’s a “Die hard” Dak fan.

Dakky Poo fans think Dak has more leverage than the guy that decides if he’s on the team or not lolololol

They think Dak is this powerful lolololol

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Dak Trolls will attempt to discredit my opinions calling me a Dak fan. I take on the Dak Homers too.

I’m just a moderate voice who calls Dak out for his poor and good performances . And choke efforts.

And I also hold our owner Jethro’s feet to the fire as he one constant this era regardless who our QB and HC is .

Jethro over hyped this team and our QB. But if he’s All In on our QB not much we can do.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
Oh I know.

He’s a “Die hard” Dak fan.

Dakky Poo fans think Dak has more leverage than the guy that decides if he’s on the team or not lolololol

They think Dak is this powerful lolololol
The only reason Dak Prescott remains in the Cowboys’ future plans is Jerry Jones. Dak and his agent know they’d do fine in free agency. He certainly could get more than the $34 million ($5 million of it by 11:00 PM on March 17) he’s about to be paid for the 2024 season by Dallas. Jerry has all the power at the moment. He is apparently using his power to keep Dak the Cowboys’ quarterback. Yet fans want to attack Dak. Jerry Jones is the ultimate “Dak lover”. Dak Prescott is less a problem than is the team’s owner.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
The only reason Dak Prescott remains in the Cowboys’ future plans is Jerry Jones. Dak and his agent know they’d do fine in free agency. He certainly could get more than the $34 million ($5 million of it by 11:00 PM on March 17) he’s about to be paid for the 2024 season by Dallas. Jerry has all the power at the moment. He is apparently using his power to keep Dak the Cowboys’ quarterback. Yet fans want to attack Dak. Jerry Jones is the ultimate “Dak lover”. Dak Prescott is less a problem than is the team’s owner.
Just because Jones has the leverage doesn’t mean we like him.

I like Jerry more than Dak though.

We’ve won 3 Super Bowls with Jerry as the owner.

We’ve won 2 Wild Card games with Dak at QB.

I’ll take the winner over the loser.

LittleD

Reaction score
Jerry can employ at least one voidable year to Dak's current deal to shift some money which is now becoming a reality. Jerry is giving Fat Mike and Dak
one last year to get to a championship game before he blows the whole team up. Dak may be playing his last season in Dallas.

Sandyf

Reaction score
Love these Dak threads. So many opinions and replies of those passionate about the Cowboys. The main thing is if or when the Cowboys change QB, is the threads will be about the new guy which will get kinder or nastier depending on if he can win a couple of playoff games.

Every year there ends up being 31 losing QBs and am positive the fans for all those teams feel the same way. The reality is owners/GMs/Coaches are going to be the ultimate authority on who stays and who goes, we just get to complain about it.

What will Jerry do about Dak this year? None of us have a clue other than the media rumors and stories, 90 percent of which are never true.

The only reality is that the Cowboys can convert Dak's salary into a restructured signing bonus this year to push money down the road to lower our cap number or Cowboys can sign Dak to a multiple year extension at X dollars to lower the cap and maintain Dak as QB or they can cut Dak outright (no one really believe that is going to happen) or they can with Dak's permission trade him for picks in the upcoming draft.

So pick your poison and your opinion, just know our opinions aren't going to matter in the decision making of Jerry and Stephen Jones.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
Just because Jones has the leverage doesn’t mean we like him.

I like Jerry more than Dak though.

We’ve won 3 Super Bowls with Jerry as the owner.

We’ve won 2 Wild Card games with Dak at QB.

I’ll take the winner over the loser.
Dak is owed nothing right now. All the guaranteed money in his contract has long since been paid. They can dump Dak now, spread the cap hit over two years instead of all at once, and go in a different direction at QB. It looks as if Jerry Jones is determined to keep Dak Prescott. Does that make Dak any better than he was this past season? I guess fans can shrug it off as “what’s one more year?”. Well, fine. If that makes Jerry a “winner” in your mind, I guess it does. You are a “Jerry Jones lover”. And that makes you, by extension” a “Dak lover”.