Dak's next contract?

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
But they would have paid him 61m for those 2 seasons

Not really a big issue......they have 113m in cap space
Well yes its a big contract. But it doesn't hamper them. And it's incredibly front-loaded as you point out.

But hey in his 7 career starts across multiple teams he's looked like the real deal. Small sample size but with his contract expiring that is what he was going to command after what he showed to end the season. Good for him.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Well yes its a big contract. But it doesn't hamper them. And it's incredibly front-loaded as you point out.

But hey in his 7 career starts across multiple teams he's looked like the real deal. Small sample size but with his contract expiring that is what he was going to command after what he showed to end the season. Good for him.
I have no problem with it...........They had the space and the cash

They traded for him and he won 5 straight(hurting their sacred draft spots) but turning a franchise around

Just pointing out they are paying out 50m, 61m and 84m for the first three seasons..... there are no 'easy outs' at those numbers

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I have no problem with it...........They had the space and the cash

They traded for him and he won 5 straight(hurting their sacred draft spots) but turning a franchise around

Just pointing out they are paying out 50m, 61m and 84m for the first three seasons..... there are no 'easy outs' at those numbers

They did have a lot cap space around 100M.

Verdict

Reaction score
Unfortunately no, Jerry and his idiot son seem to have tunnel vision proving that their decisions are the best, even when confronted with conflicting evidence. Its the reason Garrett is still here, we got 8 years of evidence that show he cant get the job done but Jerry and Steven will not move on because that would be admitting they made a mistake.

I fear they will follow the same process with Dak, even if the evidence shows he is not starting caliber (and I am not saying he is, the jury is still out) but Jerry and Steven will not want to admit that they got rid of Romo for a non-franchise QB.

I guess that is my biggest beef with Jerry and Steven. Look, I have made many mistakes in my life and sometimes they were big mistakes and admitting I was wrong was sometimes embarrassing. But I was big enough to admit it and I didn't just keep going down the same path because I wanted to prove to everybody I was the smartest guy in the room.

That is the problem with Jerry and Steven, they want to prove to everybody they are the smartest guys in the room and double down on a mistake instead of admitting they were wrong and changing course, be it hiring a legit GM or hiring a legit HC or evaluating players unemotionally.

Right. If you speak only English and go up to an ATM and accidentally click on the Chinese language button do you continue to plow forward and run it farther and farther in the ditch or do you say, oops let me click the back button and try this in English because I can't read Mandarin?

Verdict

Reaction score
It’s a lot different now you have to pay young QBs. Brady has made a ton of money over the years so he’s in a position to help his team out. You have to have a solid QB to win. Jimmy G is unproven but SF was faced with a dilemma. They desperately need a QB which is why they traded for him and he played exceptionally well going 5-0. They felt they had to pay him.

I know. I'm not disputing what you are saying. I'm just saying that's a huge percentage of he cap for an unproven guy. The Patriots also may have jettisoned the wrong guy and cost themselves another 10 good years at QB. Maybe that's the case.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I know. I'm not disputing what you are saying. I'm just saying that's a huge percentage of he cap for an unproven guy. The Patriots also may have jettisoned the wrong guy and cost themselves another 10 good years at QB. Maybe that's the case.

SF did have more than 100M in cap space so they could afford it. The Pats had a dilemma themselves they never figured Brady would still be this good at 40. Hard to move on from him the way he’s playing. Life for NE may never be the same once he’s done. NE wanted to keep Jimmy G and was willing to pay him like a starter but he wanted to play. Being in the last year of his rookie deal he was set to hit the FA market so NE had no choice but to trade him. They weren’t about to use a franchise tag on theIr backup QB.

Verdict

Reaction score
SF did have more than 100M in cap space so they could afford it. The Pats had a dilemma themselves they never figured Brady would still be this good at 40. Hard to move on from him the way he’s playing. Life for NE may never be the same once he’s done. NE wanted to keep Jimmy G and was willing to pay him like a starter but he wanted to play. Being in the last year of his rookie deal he was set to hit the FA market so NE had no choice but to trade him. They weren’t about to use a franchise tag on theIr backup QB.

I agree with everything you said. But wouldn't it be great if the Patriots dynasty ended because they didn't do what they always do, which is move on from the aging player for the younger guy and never miss a beat?

I really think this really pissed off The Hoodie. The end is in sight for that franchise at least with Tom at the helm.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I agree with everything you said. But wouldn't it be great if the Patriots dynasty ended because they didn't do what they always do, which is move on from the aging player for the younger guy and never miss a beat?

I really think this really pissed off The Hoodie. The end is in sight for that franchise at least with Tom at the helm.

It’s hard to move on from Brady he’s meant far too much to that franchise and Belichick. He just led them to another SB. A lot easier to move on from other positions than arguably the greatest QB in history.

Verdict

Reaction score
It’s hard to move on from Brady he’s meant far too much to that franchise and Belichick. He just led them to another SB. A lot easier to move on from other positions than arguably the greatest QB in history.

I know. I agree. It's just NEVER been the Patriot way.

DakBringMeBack

Reaction score
Reading through these posts, it appears that the entire team gets a pass for having a down year except for Dak.
I read it a bit different. 95% of posters think its a foregone conclusion we dont sign him to an extension.

That's hilarious because Jerry and company are going to do it and do it big with Dak the first chance they get. I guarantee it.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I know. I agree. It's just NEVER been the Patriot way.

It hasn’t but this is Tom Brady we’re talking about. None of the players they’ve moved on from can compare with him.

Verdict

Reaction score
I read it a bit different. 95% of posters think its a foregone conclusion we dont sign him to an extension.

That's hilarious because Jerry and company are going to do it and do it big with Dak the first chance they get. I guarantee it.

There is a pretty decent chance that is going to happen. Pretty likely actually but you never REALLY KNOW for sure what they think.

Verdict

Reaction score
It hasn’t but this is Tom Brady we’re talking about. None of the players they’ve moved on from can compare with him.

I know. I'm really not arguing with you. Lol. I'm just sayin'.

DakBringMeBack

Reaction score
In other words Dak is a QB unable to carry a team when called upon, that's not what you call a franchise QB. That's not a knock on Dak it's just who he is
You don't know what Dak is.

Just like in 2014 I saw my in-laws run Foles off, say he couldn't play, after anointing him in 2013; a similar year to Dak's rookie year.
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/F/FoleNi00.htm

Now they look like reactive idiots. And by the way, Foles in 2014 was decent but nowhere near Dak 2017. Dak is a franchise QB and will be here for about a decade at the least barring injury. You should get ready for that.

Verdict

Reaction score

Just like in 2014 I saw my in-laws run Foles off, say he couldn't play, after anointing him in 2013; a similar year to Dak's rookie year.

Now they look like reactive idiots. And by the way, Foles in 2014 was decent but nowhere near Dak 2017. Dak is a franchise QB and will be here for about a decade at the least barring injury. You should get ready for that.

No one really knows what Dak is. The evidence suggest he might be a franchise QB. Or he might be a guy who got a little but lucky and won a bunch of games. No one really knows for sure yet.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
'

I don't think anybody is rooting against Dak here, they are just being cautious considering how he played last season. Now if he turns out to be a franchise QB for a decade like you say, then that would be great. I don't think anybody would not take that and run to the bank.

However, what if he doesn't return to form? What if the Dak we saw last year is the Dak we are going to see this year? I'm am sure a lot of folks in Washington thought RG3 was going to bounce back after winning ROTY and having a sophomore slump, he never did.

So its a wait and see thing with Dak and Dak is the only person that can answer the question of if he will return to form. If he does, the team will win a lot of games and Dak will make a lot of money (see Grappolo) or if he doesn't, he will not be the first QB that faded after a great start.

Verdict

Reaction score
'

I don't think anybody is rooting against Dak here, they are just being cautious considering how he played last season. Now if he turns out to be a franchise QB for a decade like you say, then that would be great. I don't think anybody would not take that and run to the bank.

However, what if he doesn't return to form? What if the Dak we saw last year is the Dak we are going to see this year? I'm am sure a lot of folks in Washington thought RG3 was going to bounce back after winning ROTY and having a sophomore slump, he never did.

So its a wait and see thing with Dak and Dak is the only person that can answer the question of if he will return to form. If he does, the team will win a lot of games and Dak will make a lot of money (see Grappolo) or if he doesn't, he will not be the first QB that faded after a great start.

Exactly. So many posters speak in absolutes and there just aren't very many of those.