Twitter: Dak's stock keeps rising

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Exactly, people keep trotting out the same old tripe that you can't pay Dak and build a good team.. Nonsense.. They paid him 31 million this year and still were like 25 million under the cap when free agency began. They could have dropped 20 on Clowney had they been of a mind to.. Or signed Earl Thomas.. or hell I would have been happy with Eric Reid.. They could have re-signed Byron. THEY made the decision to go with "hope" on the defensive side of the ball. Hope Poe and McCoy shore up the run defense.. Hope Crawford has recovered from double hip surgery. Hope the young corners can step up and come anywhere near what Byron gave us.. Hope the inexperienced safeties don't blow coverages.. Hope Nolan's complex defense can be learned without OTAs. And now it's HOPE a rookie QB can do what Dak was doing even though no QB in the history of the league ever did what Dak was doing and a miracle will happen to fix our defense. I repeat.. GTFOH.
People are completely clueless with regard to how extremely difficult it is to draft a QB that comes right in and can be competitive. And we got lucky in the 4th finding one. But they would let Prescott go, take a wild shot and drafting a QB early and once again, ignoring the defense.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
I don't see Dak's stock rising, he's been in the league over 4 years, other teams know what he is, and isn't. To think that just because the team is doing so terribly on offense now vs before he got hurt other teams have suddenly woken up and realized "Hey, he's a really a terrific quarterback, who knew?" is laughable.

His value to teams has been established for the most part for the last couple of years, sure some teams may have thought they had their quarterback of the future, like Tampa Bay for example, and have since realized they don't and now are interested in Dak, for example.

His stock is less, if anything, due to the injury. But higher?

Not in my book...

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Oh wow. You have brought up the 3 times teams have succeeded in replacing a QB. Were you around here after Aikman? How many years did it take us to find Romo? First round QBs bust a lot more than do well.

Different era.. QBs are better and systems are all similar.

Everything has improved. That’s why finding a 4th round QB like Dak who plays well isn’t a big deal.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
People are completely clueless with regard to how extremely difficult it is to draft a QB that comes right in and can be competitive. And we got lucky in the 4th finding one. But they would let Prescott go, take a wild shot and drafting a QB early and once again, ignoring the defense.

Right, they ignore the fact that if you draft a qb with the first round pick, then most if not all of the top defensive players will be long gone by the second round, now you have to not only hope your quarterback is another Mahomes and not another Russell, but that your second (and third, and fourth, and so on) round defensive guy can play like a first rounder, or be a huge improvement over who you have now.

People have to quit focusing on one aspect of the team and realize it's more complex than that...

RonnieT24

Reaction score
I don't see Dak's stock rising, he's been in the league over 4 years, other teams know what he is, and isn't. To think that just because the team is doing so terribly on offense now vs before he got hurt other teams have suddenly woken up and realized "Hey, he's a really a terrific quarterback, who knew?" is laughable.

His value to teams has been established for the most part for the last couple of years, sure some teams may have thought they had their quarterback of the future, like Tampa Bay for example, and have since realized they don't and now are interested in Dak, for example.

His stock is less, if anything, due to the injury. But higher?

Not in my book...

Any doubts surrounding the injury will evaporate the first time video comes out of him rolling through a full workout. Like I said before.. in a free agent class that included two #1 overall picks in Cam and Winston and a first ballot hall of famer and 6 time Super Bowl champ Dak was considered the #1 free agent on the market. So you are absolutely 100% correct that the league already knew what Dak was. So did the Joneses.. which is why they tagged him and didn't let him get to the open market. They KNOW what would have happened if they had.. There would have been a bidding war for his services. They didn't tag him because they don't believe in him.. They tagged because they wanted more time to work out the deal that both sides can agree on. This is not Kirk Cousins in DC with them giving him side eye and saying "prove it.." This is the Cowboys saying "please sign a cap friendly long term deal so we can build a good team around you." This stupid argument that "if you pay him like that he shouldn't need a good team around him" is some kindergarten crap. Nobody wins football games all by himself. Let's go ahead and put that argument in the trash where it belongs.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Right, they ignore the fact that if you draft a qb with the first round pick, then most if not all of the top defensive players will be long gone by the second round, now you have to not only hope your quarterback is another Mahomes and not another Russell, but that your second (and third, and fourth, and so on) round defensive guy can play like a first rounder, or be a huge improvement over who you have now.

People have to quit focusing on one aspect of the team and realize it's more complex than that...

You’re focusing on 1 pick for 1 year.

QBs on rookie deals are a cheat code for team building. Our team currently sucks and is mediocre when healthy. That is with a cheap Dak Prescott. It doesn’t get easier with him making a ton.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Any doubts surrounding the injury will evaporate the first time video comes out of him rolling through a full workout.

Workouts aren't games. Didn't RGIII appear to back 100% after his ankle injury? Then his knee gave out.

An NFL player's body has to be a finely tuned, fully in sync instrument. While he may recover 100% by next year, there will always be just a bit of doubt lingering in the back of any NFL evaluator that the injury will result in not quite a return to 100% in the years ahead.

But I'm nitpicking, good post...

phildadon86

Reaction score
Different era.. QBs are better and systems are all similar.

Everything has improved. That’s why finding a 4th round QB like Dak who plays well isn’t a big deal.
Dude. First round QBs as little as 3 years ago have been bust. Stop. We get it. You dont like Dak. Just stop hiding behind paying him as the reason. I bet you would have no issue paying Lawerence 100 million. With the same stats as Dak.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
You’re focusing on 1 pick for 1 year.

QBs on rookie deals are a cheat code for team building. Our team currently sucks and is mediocre when healthy. That is with a cheap Dak Prescott. It doesn’t get easier with him making a ton.

No, others are focusing on the one pick. I'm saying that taking a quarterback in the first means you can't get a first round defensive pick (assuming the Cowboys can't get two high first round picks somehow).

That's all, your reading something in my post that's not there....

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Workouts aren't games. Didn't RGIII appear to back 100% after his ankle injury? Then his knee gave out.

An NFL player's body has to be a finely tuned, fully in sync instrument. While he may recover 100% by next year, there will always be just a bit of doubt lingering in the back of any NFL evaluator that the injury will result in not quite a return to 100% in the years ahead.

But I'm nitpicking, good post...

RGIII's injury was a knee in 2012 and he dislocated his ankle in 2014. So it was the other way around. RGIII also came back and played after that ankle injury in that same season.There was no noticeable dropoff in his play .. aside from being rusty the first two games back his play stayed at pretty much the same level it had been. Which unfortunately for him was not near the level where Dak was when HE got hurt. Ankle injuries are just not on the same level as a knee or a throwing shoulder/elbow. And even those are not as career threatening as they used to be.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Dude. First round QBs as little as 3 years ago have been bust. Stop. We get it. You dont like Dak. Just stop hiding behind paying him as the reason. I bet you would have no issue paying Lawerence 100 million. With the same stats as Dak.

There is no safe position.. QBs are more plentiful than ever..

You guys want Dak to have everything optimal.. News flash.. The majority of QBs can do well in great situations.

Some Dolphin fan somewhere is telling his buddies that he knew Ryan Tannehill was a good player and just needed a team around him.

We have proven we can’t build a good enough team around Dak while cheap. Proven.. Done..

According to you guys who think stats tell the whole story Dak was awesome this year but still 1-3..

What’s the plan for Dak to succeed? Rookies and scrub FA’s like Poe? Please. He’s not good enough to win a title with and pay all that money too.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
RGIII's injury was a knee in 2012 and he dislocated his ankle in 2014. So it was the other way around. RGIII also came back and played after that ankle injury in that same season.There was no noticeable dropoff in his play .. aside from being rusty the first two games back his play stayed at pretty much the same level it had been. Which unfortunately for him was not near the level where Dak was when HE got hurt. Ankle injury's are just not on the same level as a knee or a throwing shoulder/elbow. And even those are not as career threatening as they used to be.

Which injury was first just shows how much attention I pay to Washington football :thumbup:

Not saying it will have a huge effect, but I don't think it will be totally ignored either. Turf puts lots of stress on the lower body, it he just cracked a bone I'd agree with you, but seeing it pushed off to one side is a pretty vivid picture...

Philmonroe

Reaction score
You claimed that if Dak were great he would not have been treated like Cousins. That would indicate that you agree with the front office that he is not great... I was merely highlighting the front office's stellar history over the last 25 years as evidence why we should absolutely trust them in their decision vis a vis Dak.. and Zeke.. and Jaylon... and Tank and ... drafting Mo Claiborne ... and letting Anthony Hitchens walk ... and re-signing Jason Garrett after three straight 8-8 seasons... Drafting.. coaching hires.. knowing who to keep and who to let go.. Their record is unimpeachable.. Right?
You already know what I think of him so again what does this strawman have to do with what I said? You typing more bs that still has nothing to do with what I said doesn't make your point any less of a strawman than before. I don't give a flying expletive about the front office stellar history. Doesn't change the fact that if they thought he was as awesome as y'all he would've been signed no matter what. Its a reason only 3 qb's have played on the franchise tag. So again spare me the strawman that doesn't have nothing to do with my post and inhale some more copium.

RonnieT24

Reaction score

You guys want Dak to have everything optimal.. News flash.. The majority of QBs can do well in great situations.

Some Dolphin fan somewhere is telling his buddies that he knew Ryan Tannehill was a good player and just needed a team around him.

We have proven we can’t build a good enough team around Dak while cheap. Proven.. Done..

According to you guys who think stats tell the whole story Dak was awesome this year but still 1-3..

What’s the plan for Dak to succeed? Rookies and scrub FA’s like Poe? Please. He’s not good enough to win a title with and pay all that money too.

Well now that you've said it I guess we have to all just accept it.. Dak's not good enough. Okay.. end of argument.. Good lord.. Nobody want's "Dak to have everything optimal." People want the Cowboys to have as many great players as humanly possible. Period. People wanted a good running game and offensive line for Romo.. and wanted a better defense for Romo.. It isn't about Dak at all.. it's about the Cowboys.. The Cowboys have a long list of problems..

DT
CB
Safety
Linebacker
OT

Dumping Dak doesn't solve any of those.. it simply adds QB to the list. However drafting a beast DT and bringing in a beast FA at one of the other problem areas could solve two of them.. and simple healing from surgery will solve the OT issue. Your logic creates a new problem where we don't currently have one. That is in direct opposition to the best interests of the Cowboys.. and why I will never support it. Now as I have stated numerous times.. Dak cannot dig in on a 3 or 4 year deal.. THAT we cannot afford.. and THAT will keep us from signing the one high dollar impact defensive player we need. But even that doesn't stop us from drafting a beast on defense. But if Dak and his agent insist on saddling us with a 40 million dollar a year cap hit for the nest 3 years then yes, tag him then trade him. But for the love of all that is holy do NOT let him walk and get nothing in return but a stinkin comp pick. That's just being stupid.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
But for the love of all that is holy do NOT let him walk and get nothing in return but a stinkin comp pick.

How may times have the Cowboys let somebody walk and gotten NOTHING in return? Too often. Getting a comp pick is better than we've seen in other situations.

:mad:

phildadon86

Reaction score

If we sign Dak to a 4 year deal. We he have a window of 4 years of defensive players on rookie deals (your favorite). If we can hit on this draft alone picking in the top 5 of every round we are already contenders.

I love how you think rookie players wont get it done. But a rookie QB will. lol. You talk out of both sides of your mouth so often you remind me of someone who I wont mention.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Well now that you've said it I guess we have to all just accept it.. Dak's not good enough. Okay.. end of argument.. Good lord.. Nobody want's "Dak to have everything optimal." People want the Cowboys to have as many great players as humanly possible. Period. People wanted a good running game and offensive line for Romo.. and wanted a better defense for Romo.. It isn't about Dak at all.. it's about the Cowboys.. The Cowboys have a long list of problems..

DT
CB
Safety
Linebacker
OT

Dumping Dak doesn't solve any of those.. it simply adds QB to the list. However drafting a beast DT and bringing in a beast FA at one of the other problem areas could solve two of them.. and simple healing from surgery will solve the OT issue. Your logic creates a new problem where we don't currently have one. That is in direct opposition to the best interests of the Cowboys.. and why I will never support it. Now as I have stated numerous times.. Dak cannot dig in on a 3 or 4 year deal.. THAT we cannot afford.. and THAT will keep us from signing the one high dollar impact defensive player we need. But even that doesn't stop us from drafting a beast on defense. But if Dak and his agent insist on saddling us with a 40 million dollar a year cap hit for the nest 3 years then yes, tag him then trade him. But for the love of all that is holy do NOT let him walk and get nothing in return but a stinkin comp pick. That's just being stupid.

I agree.. Get something for him.. But.. Just getting the cap space would be enough for me.

I’ll go sign Stafford or something if I can’t get a Rookie.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
If we sign Dak to a 4 year deal. We he have a window of 4 years of defensive players on rookie deals (your favorite). If we can hit on this draft alone picking in the top 5 of every round we are already contenders.

I love how you think rookie players wont get it done. But a rookie QB will. lol. You talk out of both sides of your mouth so often you remind me of someone who I wont mention.

I don’t think a rookie QB or Dak is a Super Bowl threat next season. That is some argument you dreamed up in your head because you Dak guys love your strawman arguments.

Rookie contract.. Rookie contract.. Got it?

RonnieT24

Reaction score
I agree.. Get something for him.. But.. Just getting the cap space would be enough for me.

I’ll go sign Stafford or something if I can’t get a Rookie.

Yep.. as long as it's not Dak I'm sure you'll be happy.