Dallas Cowboys Are Treating Trey Lance as 'De Facto' Quarterback Pick

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
we did what in 2016? How is that remotley the same? Tony was the Proven Franchise QB..then wasnt in camp the next year, he didnt even compete for the job...Trey did...against a QB the HC was on record saying he didnt like in Jimmy G
We benched tony in 2016. Dak was NOT the better QB.

That's what a lot of all this nonsense is about. "Trey couldn't even even be QB3 is SF".

He got hurt, got replaced, team went on to win, Trey lost his job.

Sound familiar?

It's very similar except Tony's age.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
We benched tony in 2016. Dak was NOT the better QB.

That's what a lot of all this nonsense is about. "Trey couldn't even even be QB3 is SF".

He got hurt, got replaced, team went on to win, Trey lost his job.

Sound familiar?

It's very similar except Tony's age.
no its not even close trey played 2 games...2 other QB's played that season and they ALL came back to camp to fight it out the next offseason and Trey came in 3rd..how is any of that the same?

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
no its not even close trey played 2 games...2 other QB's played that season and they ALL came back to camp to fight it out the next offseason and Trey came in 3rd..how is any of that the same?
Okay fine.

Of all the things to fight about...sorry.

I'll have to go with "HE SUUUUCKS!" crowd then.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Lotta people seem concerned he might play so well another team will git him, and our 4th was wasted.

Just sign him then. 2025 baby!
i would assume Jerry would extende him if he played well next season..but Trey's agent could also tell Jerry we will see you in FA also...or your right Jerry could just sign him now without seeing him play...which one would you do?

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Okay fine.

Of all the things to fight about...sorry.

I'll have to go with "HE SUUUUCKS!" crowd then.
dude you are all over the place..didnt say he sucked either I'm saying his last HC liked 2 other QB's more than him to a comment about why SF traded him...

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Trey Lance 3rd overall pick for 49ers

2021: 39.0 QBR
2022: 36.9 QBR

https://www.espn.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/4383351/trey-lance

The guy was bad to start off and regressed the second year before suffering injury. 3rd year preseason, the guy played so bad and couldn't beat out 2 other players for 2nd and 3rd string QB. 49ers at that point had seen enough. They were surprised the Cowboys offered a 4th round pick as trade when every other team offered no more than a 6th round pick. Lance was traded to the Cowboys and remained our 3rd string QB for all of 2023. He's currently 3rd string and about to hit free agency in 9 months.

BUST and a waste of a much needed 2024 4th round pick.

TheSport78

The Excellence of Execution
Reaction score
Another example of the Cowboys not admitting their horrible decision and using it as a "draft pick" this year. They're an abomination.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
He couldn't even beat out Sam Darnold for backup...come on mayne!!!
While true….also worth noting that at one point Kellen Moore and Jameil Showers were in front of Dak on the depth chart…..until he wasn’t. You never know if or when it will click for Lance.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
There is no "de facto" about it. We gave up this year's 4th round pick for Trey Lance. He is this year's QB draft pick with NFL experience.

Brax

Reaction score
The truth hurts doesn’t it, it explains why they have never had a quality QB since. Fragile Dak he falls apart under pressure, it’s just him, just look at those high pressure game, the blank stare, the drooping head on the bench, the befuddled look after a int, and the desperation QB draw with 14 seconds left and forgetting not to hand the ball to the center to spot, his brain isn’t wired for pressure

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I imagine that if Jerry were to choose another QB in the upcoming draft, it would likely have a discouraging effect on Lance. I'm glad that the other picks will be used on fulfilling needs that are due to be attended to. I doubt that Lance will likely become a sensation overnight, to be sure. It would only be fair to give him the time to develop as he needs to. Nothing wrong with that, actually.

I have a feeling that San Fran was likely a bit antsy to resolve their need for a capable QB in a hurry when they settled for one. No big need to rush into things, with Rush available to fall back on. Our TC and preseason promises to be pretty interesting with what we already have in house.

Last edited:

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
i would assume Jerry would extende him if he played well next season..but Trey's agent could also tell Jerry we will see you in FA also...or your right Jerry could just sign him now without seeing him play...which one would you do?
I would think they already know....or should. Somehow keeping a lid on it either way.
I dont need to figure it out...not my lane. Ill watch from here and hope fir the best.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
The truth hurts doesn’t it, it explains why they have never had a quality QB since. Fragile Dak he falls apart under pressure, it’s just him, just look at those high pressure game, the blank stare, the drooping head on the bench, the befuddled look after a int, and the desperation QB draw with 14 seconds left and forgetting not to hand the ball to the center to spot, his brain isn’t wired for pressure
Yeah, Dak lives in your head 24/7. So bad you make up such ridiculous ish! LOL

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
dude you are all over the place..didnt say he sucked either I'm saying his last HC liked 2 other QB's more than him to a comment about why SF traded him...
I was being facetious. I thought youd get a kick out the swing.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Yep, a 2024 4th round pick with a 1-year, $5.3M cap hit.

Just like every other team.

By the way, here's the cap numbers of an actual 4th round QB, Jake Haener:
Year
Prorated Signing Bonus
Cap
Number
2023​
24​
$750,000​
$176,203​
$676,203
2024​