News: Dallas Cowboys have unprecedented depth in the trenches

CCBoy

Reaction score
Actually Griffen would likely make a difference. He's arguably as good as Lawrence and putting him opposite Lawrence with Poe and McCoy in the middle makes this a very good DL that can control OLs.

New scheme or not, there's a clear hole at RDE. I am not sure why some of you are afraid to just admit that.

I mean using the logic you are throwing out here, why did we even bother to sign McCoy or Poe? Just go with Hill and Woods and whatever we could draft.
I like Griffen, and wanted him from the start...but that is not in the plan and I won't be upset that he isn't.

CCBoy

Reaction score
My argument is simple. The article you posted talked about unprecedented depth along the OL and DL.

I don't believe that's the case along the DL. DT seems better than we have had in the past but there is a clear hole at the starting RDE spot so it's hard to claim this is unprecedented DL depth when you don't have a legitimate, proven RDE starter but what you do have is a bunch of late round picks, two reclamation projects that haven't even been reinstated yet and a guy in Crawford who isn't a RDE.

Normally, you'd be kind of hosed at this point in the offseason to bring in legitimate talent at the RDE spot but there are a couple of guys out there in FA that could improve your situation. Griffen being the best example of a guy who would immediately be the best RDE on the roster, likely wouldn't cost a ton and wouldn't hurt your cap in future years. It also allows you to still bring along the younger players and if one or two succeed, great. It also helps mitigate risk in the situation where Smith being out of football for nearly 5 seasons manifests itself in the reality that he's just not going to be close to the same player he was in 2011-2013.

Straight to the point, I'm not buying the reclamation label. Other team had to cut bait and progress their own team's direction. It's not in the cards for this season, to change much at this point. I don't know that a further is necessary now, to begin with. Both tackles are relevant...will push the pocket continually and be strong at freeing up the linebackers. That is really significant...

CCBoy

Reaction score
My argument is simple. The article you posted talked about unprecedented depth along the OL and DL.

I don't believe that's the case along the DL. DT seems better than we have had in the past but there is a clear hole at the starting RDE spot so it's hard to claim this is unprecedented DL depth when you don't have a legitimate, proven RDE starter but what you do have is a bunch of late round picks, two reclamation projects that haven't even been reinstated yet and a guy in Crawford who isn't a RDE.

Normally, you'd be kind of hosed at this point in the offseason to bring in legitimate talent at the RDE spot but there are a couple of guys out there in FA that could improve your situation. Griffen being the best example of a guy who would immediately be the best RDE on the roster, likely wouldn't cost a ton and wouldn't hurt your cap in future years. It also allows you to still bring along the younger players and if one or two succeed, great. It also helps mitigate risk in the situation where Smith being out of football for nearly 5 seasons manifests itself in the reality that he's just not going to be close to the same player he was in 2011-2013.

As a point of contention, I'll agree here...

Reactions: BAT

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Erving was a disaster at T his entire career. Looney didn't even compete at G last year. He couldn't be out Su'a Filo who was horrible in pass protection as the backup at G.

The Landry Hat. Your go to source for garbage takes!

CCBoy

Reaction score
Erving was a disaster at T his entire career. Looney didn't even compete at G last year. He couldn't be out Su'a Filo who was horrible in pass protection as the backup at G.

The Landry Hat. Your go to source for garbage takes!

Dallas stepped up and signed him...care to complain to them?

Todd Archer ESPN Staff Writer
Cameron Erving's one-year deal with the Cowboys is worth $2.5 million with the chance to earn another $250,000 through play-time incentives. Erving will receive a $750,000 signing bonus and a $1.25 million base salary, which is fully guaranteed. He can earn up to $500,000 in active roster bonuses ($31,250 per game). He can earn $125,000 if he plays in 65% of the snaps and the Cowboys make the playoffs and another $125,000 if he plays in 80% and they make the playoffs.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dallas stepped up and signed him...care to complain to them?

Todd Archer ESPN Staff Writer
Cameron Erving's one-year deal with the Cowboys is worth $2.5 million with the chance to earn another $250,000 through play-time incentives. Erving will receive a $750,000 signing bonus and a $1.25 million base salary, which is fully guaranteed. He can earn up to $500,000 in active roster bonuses ($31,250 per game). He can earn $125,000 if he plays in 65% of the snaps and the Cowboys make the playoffs and another $125,000 if he plays in 80% and they make the playoffs.

Welp, if the Cowboys did something, that must mean it's right. Conversely, if they didn't, it's because it was clearly the wrong thing to do.

brain-gif-21.gif

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Wow...never denied it. So? It was a valid question that could be discussed...you took offense. Why?

I took no offense, I pointed out the ridiculousness of your comment. There was nothing "valid" about it.

CCBoy

Reaction score
The Landry Hat.
That came out in the OP...they don't have a perspective of their own? Or are you just targeting that your view is much better?

Yet you kept up with discussion, and didn't comment on content...come on out and make your statement. Instead of a tack in sense of being more appropriate.

Or, you just commented disgust...at source? Discuss...please...I want to doubt the defense just like you guys. Not really at all!

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I focused on RDE but laid out the entire DE depth chart earlier in this thread. But even in looking at RDE, the fact we don't have a legitimate starting RDE doesn't speak well for "depth" at DE.

They have taken the approach that a bunch of bodies/DE by committee, will suffice it seems. That's the same logic that went into building the WR position in 2018. That a bunch of guys would be better than one proven starter.

One thing to remember is, none of us know what the final squad will look like. Every made name, came from a no name. Good coaching and heart, will get the job done.

Attrition, will weed out those that don't make the cut. I do understand your viewpoint. The end positions must be solidified, or the team will be unbalanced.

johneric8

Reaction score
Honestly man this is a crazy statement. There are better odds that Smith and Gregory are all inactive on game day than productive players. Not sure what other JAGS we can trot out there but there is definitely no stable of competent guys.

Crawford could move to that position and he is solid.. Like I said, most of you suffer from Garret syndrome.. Gregory or Smith will be back, and I'm sure these guys can more than hold down that position.. We also drafted Anea! I guess you don't think a rookie can contribute.. LOL

johneric8

Reaction score
It's reasonable to expect improvement with the new coaching staff, not a cure-all.
Stash, here is my thing... I firmly believe that talent is not our issue.. We have a bunch of options to hold down the spot opposite of Dlaw, they
also can slide Crawford into that spot and he is way better than some of you think.. Also Anea the rookie could potentially be better than we expect as well.

I think we need to be more concerned about our coaches getting their gameplan installed as opposed to our talent.. Look at the team we fielded last year!
One of the best rosters we've had, but we still failed because the freckled puppet couldn't coach and wore out his welcome.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Stash, here is my thing... I firmly believe that talent is not our issue.. We have a bunch of options to hold down the spot opposite of Dlaw, they
also can slide Crawford into that spot and he is way better than some of you think..

No, he isn't. No matter how many times anyone wants to type it.

Also Anea the rookie could potentially be better than we expect as well.

Or he could make the same level of impact that DE's Joe Jackson and Jaylen Jelks did last year?

I think we need to be more concerned about our coaches getting their gameplan installed as opposed to our talent.. Look at the team we fielded last year!
One of the best rosters we've had, but we still failed because the freckled puppet couldn't coach and wore out his welcome.

I'm with you on that, but I'm not with any idea of them being a magic cure-all that immediately fizes everything overnight.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Yep, there's no doubt but what the Cowboys have bolstered their offensive and defensive lines in fine fashion.:thumbup:
Both of their lines have the caliber of overall quality strength to compare favorably among the best they've had! :flagwave:

If there's to be a soft spot in our defensive line, it will possibly come by way of the RDE position. We'll see about that!

Last edited:

CCBoy

Reaction score
Dallas has made three significant additions at defensive tackle: veterans Gerald McCoy and Dontari Poe, plus 3rd-Round rookie Neville Gallimore. Even with Maliek Collins leaving for Oakland, the position is much more crowded now than in previous seasons.

The real problem for Antwaun Woods in these new arrivals is Poe. A former 1st-Round pick and two-time Pro Bowler, Dontari is walking in as the assumed new starter for the “1-tech” and nose tackle positions that Woods has occupied since 2018.

The typical Cowboys offseason might have seen them add Poe and then slide Woods over to replace Collins. But they’ve made an unusual investment in the DT position this year with their other moves. On top of the fresh faces, there’s also Trysten Hill entering his sophomore season.

With McCoy and Poe as the new veterans and Gallimore and Hill as the young prospects, it leaves Antwaun Woods in a difficult spot. Throw in Tyrone Crawford’s versatility as a DT option and there’s a case to be made for Woods not even making the 2020 roster.

https://insidethestar.com/cowboys-dt-antwaun-woods-dealing-w-multiple-frustrations-in-2020/

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Their depth is overstated at DE.

Just because you have warm bodies doesn’t mean you have depth.

I also believe DTs are also overstated.

Gallimore and Hill are unproven. Crawford is coming off double hip surgery and is injury prone until proven otherwise.

Plus McCoy & Poe did not have their best seasons last year with Panthers.

CCBoy

Reaction score
2. Defensive Tackles
Under coach Garrett and his defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli, the team preferred smaller, more agile defensive tackles over the last decade. Though this occasionally bore fruit with a high sack-count, it also seemed to hurt in defending against the run.

One of the team’s earliest specific statements under McCarthy was that they would now be looking for larger defensive tackles. Indeed, in the first week of free agency, the team signed free agent tackles Gerald McCoy and Dontari Poe, who outweigh the team’s starting defensive tackles from 2019 (Maliek Collins and Antwaun Woods) by 62 pounds. Both are also Pro Bowl players and cost America’s Team a significantly larger financial investment than they’ve put into the position in years.

https://thelandryhat.com/2020/05/13/dallas-cowboys-mike-mccarthy-differences/