Dallas Cowboys receiver Dez Bryant sued by state Sen. Royce West

Status
Not open for further replies.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
You know, if you think about it. Dez isn't just going to have to pay for repairs. He is going to have to pay for a project management because the Royce West isn't going to do it. He is also going to have to pay for lost revene since the house isn't in rentable condition.

Dez thought he could just walk away from this? :facepalm:

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Most of you should never rent properties is all I can say. You would be appalled and perpetually angry.

Its pretty much a given that when a house is turned over that carpet and paint is done.

You're right. I had to stop leasing my properties. The police were starting to get suspicious as to why all my leasees kept disappearing. :D

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Could it also be that some other people used (squatters, teenagers partying, etc.) it after Dez was done with the lease? It has happened a couple of times where I have lived. In fact there was a house for sale and no one was living in it. So some teenage kids broke in and threw a party.

Yeah. I was thinking the same. Dude collects a good amount, is slow to get it ready for new tenants...that stuff happens to vacant properties. Gated community is hard to get in by car but on foot, not so much

AbeBeta

Reaction score
4000+ square feet. That's a lot of carpet and drywall.

My tenants sign a condition report form as part of the lease when they move in. The burden of proof is on the tenant to prove they didn't cause the damage, not the other way around.

Total BS clause. You could be negligent as crap and not have to pay.

I had a landlord trash the carpet replacing a fridge. He took it out of my deposit.

You play it that way?

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Total BS clause. You could be negligent as crap and not have to pay.

I had a landlord trash the carpet replacing a fridge. He took it out of my deposit.

You play it that way?

Unless he also does an exit walkthrough with them it won't hold up in court.

MWH1967

The Cook
Reaction score
:)If you rent a china shop to a Bull...you gotta expect a few dishes will be broken. Not saying its right but a young man with that kinda money and no sense of real "personal" to someone else worth at this point is gonna care more about entertaining than preserving a stain free carpet and smug proof paint. This really about shock value to us 9-5ers that could barely afford to rent the place than a young man living the dream. yes......it's wrong BUT C'Mon man...what did you expect?

I'm not sure you needs to learn a lesson more here...

gmoney112

Reaction score

My tenants sign a condition report form as part of the lease when they move in. The burden of proof is on the tenant to prove they didn't cause the damage, not the other way around.

There's one picture of some minor holes in a 3 foot area of drywall. I can putty and paint that in 5 minutes with what I have in my house.

So new carpet costs 100k now? Funny, when I contracted out my carpet installation during my build it wasn't near that much.

gmoney112

Reaction score
Seems to me he could have made this right before the point of litigation.

Then again, Dez, bless his heart, has never been the sharpest tool in the shed.

It's hard to handle it when some idiot is charging you 20x cost.

gmoney112

Reaction score
Most of you should never rent properties is all I can say. You would be appalled and perpetually angry.

Its pretty much a given that when a house is turned over that carpet and paint is done.

I think it's funny this guy took a picture of a small pile of trash thatd fit in one grocery bag as some kind of damning evidence. That made me laugh.

It also showed exactly what kind of guy we're dealing with here. A few tiny holes in the wall and a bag of trash. That's funny to me.

A lot of apartment complexes change carpet in the entire place after a tenant moves out.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
There's one picture of some minor holes in a 3 foot area of drywall. I can putty and paint that in 5 minutes with what I have in my house.

So new carpet costs 100k now? Funny, when I contracted out my carpet installation during my build it wasn't near that much.

I'm guessing you don't understand how this works. When litigating, you ask for much more than the material costs of the damage with the understanding you won't likely get that amount but the hope the settlement will be in your favor and you can recoup the expenses and something extra.

If a guy rips a $500 wall-mounted TV out of your wall, you don't just sue for your $500 TV. You sue for the TV, the costs of the wall mount, the damage to the wall, the labor cost for the wall to be repaired and for the TV to be professionally remounted, the lost wages it cost you to be at the house to wait for the repairmen, et cetera.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
I blame Dallas Bryant...he probably had some parties when his Dad went on the road

CR8hnAQUYAAsM6W.jpg

gmoney112

Reaction score
I'm guessing you don't understand how this works. When litigating, you ask for much more than the material costs of the damage with the understanding you won't likely get that amount but the hope the settlement will be in your favor and you can recoup the expenses and something extra.

If a guy rips a $500 wall-mounted TV out of your wall, you don't just sue for your $500 TV. You sue for the TV, the costs of the wall mount, the damage to the wall, the labor cost for the wall to be repaired and for the TV to be professionally remounted, the lost wages it cost you to be at the house to wait for the repairmen, et cetera.

And I'm guessing you've worked alongside litigation cases, without punitive damages, that were marked 2,000% over appraisal.

His actions are borderline vexatious, especially in a tenant/landlord dispute. Most judges would laugh at him if he wasn't a US Senator.

This is like your plumber charging you 25k to unclog your toilet, then suing you for it when you call him an idiot.

erod

Reaction score
Could have been Dez' monkey throwing feces, his crackhead momma and her friends, or Dez' kids without cleaning up after them.

No matter what, pay up, Dez.

Hoofbite

Reaction score

It is, and the quality of the carpet and all other materials that come with a house of that value isn't just whatever they have laying around at Home Depot.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
And I'm guessing you've worked alongside litigation cases, without punitive damages, that were marked 2,000% over appraisal.

His actions are borderline vexatious, especially in a tenant/landlord dispute. Most judges would laugh at him if he wasn't a US Senator.

This is like your plumber charging you 25k to unclog your toilet, then suing you for it when you call him an idiot.

Lol, smh.

Are you a licensed appraiser?

Go ahead and provide for us all an itemized appraisal of the damages to this home for cost and labor and lost income due to the home being off the market to rent until it can be adequately repaired.

I'm fascinated to see what you come up with. Especially, considering you have only, what, five or six photos to work off of, but I'm guessing you think those photos are a complete depiction of the total square footage of the home and extent of the damages.

The article states: "West encountered “irreparable damage to carpeting, flooring, windows, shutters, and blinds; the presence of animal feces, trash, debris, and personal property inside the residence; and distinct and pervasive odors throughout” during the walk-through, the lawsuit says.

Because of the damage, West had to repaint the entire house, clean or replace all of the flooring and carpeting, replace the home security system, replace doors and windows and perform an extensive cleaning, among other repairs, according to the lawsuit. The repairs totaled $61,546.77."

Yep, sounds like just a $5 drywall repair like you're saying.

Last edited:

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
It is, and the quality of the carpet and all other materials that come with a house of that value isn't just whatever they have laying around at Home Depot.

I have seen way too many Flip or Flop to know that 60k is outrageous for carpeting, paint and some general clean-up...it always looks worse when the furniture is gone and is a bit more than normal wear and tear but the dude is trying to make money, not get whole.....

Status
Not open for further replies.