Dallas Cowboys receiver Dez Bryant sued by state Sen. Royce West

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sydla

Reaction score
You think there is some super special carpet, paint, and drywall store?

LOL. No offense, but you are clueless here.

Here's a suggestion. Walk into a Home Depot and price out their Glidden paint for a gallon of gray paint. Then find your local Benjamin Moore or Sherwin Williams paint store and price out a gallon of gray paint there.

Drywall is fairly stable in terms of price regardless of where you buy it. But the labor involved with hanging, taping, mudding, and prepping the walls for paint or wallpaper can vary significantly.

Carpeting has a wide price range. But it can get pricey. And if there is water damage to the carpet, there's a decent chance the subfloor could have damage. No idea if this house has a basement or not but you could be talking about replacing not only padding and carpet, but possibly the subfloor.

So I have no idea what the actual cost of the damage here is but the notion that it's impossible there could be $60K of damages could be inaccurate.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
Royce West and David Wells work closely together ........ this is just more of the Revenge of David Wells.

He will probably get JJT to write an article about this soon.

Look up Royce West history of suing people .........

CWR

Reaction score
My wife and I have owned rental properties before and we still currently own her old condo that we rent out. The notion that you should expect to change the carpet and paint every time a new tenant comes in is quite a stretch. If you have quality tenants, you shouldn't have to repaint rooms in a house. The last three couples we've rented to, over a 6 year period, have been great tenants with no damage whatsoever to the property. We even gave them the option of repainting some of the rooms themselves if they wanted to but none did and we've never had to repaint them because of damage. Carpet and Hardwood floors in the condo are in great shape too.

So the notion that a guy who rents a big house should expect to have to do $60K worth of repairs after a tenant leaves is funny.

Your right. Theres no excuse for it. Dez needs to learn to put his big boy pants on and handle his responsibilities. I love me some Dez and I usually stick up for him, but its really concerning to see this is how he handles his business off of the football field. I thought he had matured, this says otherwise. Regardless of wether or not the damage is 60k he should have taken care of this before legal action was required. I really hope there is more to the story.

Sydla

Reaction score
Also note the claim said damage to carpeting and "flooring".

If tile or hardwood floor was damaged, that's a pricey repair because you may not just be able to fix the damaged area but rather have to replace an entire room of hardwood. You could easily spend $20K alone on quality hardwood flooring for a few rooms. It also said damage to windows. Again, windows aren't cheap and if this house had quality windows, you can't just throw in some low level crap vinyl windows and call it day.

This could be a lot more than just replacing a few rooms of carpet and patching some drywall holes.

Sydla

Reaction score
Your right. Theres no excuse for it. Dez needs to learn to put his big boy pants on and handle his responsibilities. I love me some Dez and I usually stick up for him, but its really concerning to see this is how he handles his business off of the football field. I thought he had matured, this says otherwise. Regardless of wether or not the damage is 60k he should have taken care of this before legal action was required. I really hope there is more to the story.

Now, as said earlier, the guy suing probably overinflated his repair cost (maybe by trying to put in a better quality carpet than what was there, etc). For that reason, I suspect this thing gets settled quietly and never sees the inside of a court.

But it's clear that the house was damaged, well beyond what one should expect in terms of normal wear and tear from renting. So the idea that this kind of stuff should have been expected if you rent properties and Dez has no responsibility here is hilarious.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
4000+ square feet. That's a lot of carpet and drywall.

My tenants sign a condition report form as part of the lease when they move in. The burden of proof is on the tenant to prove they didn't cause the damage, not the other way around.

Your tenants do, but that doesn't mean Dez signed such a lease.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
5000 sf of carpet at $5 a sq ft adds up really quickly.

Wood flooring repair or replacement is quite expensive.

Broken windows of good quality can easily cost $1000 to replace.

Painting the interior of a house that size can easily run $10k or more.

The key would be the length of time in the rental and what would be considered normal wear and tear. And the owner has the responsibility to prove the damages, not the tenant. In the absence of a signed walk through, he is going to have a hard time.

The sad thing is that a lot of people think this is reasonable wear and tear and is the norm.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jmo..I don't think he really lived there. With all the folks he's had in/out of his life. Odds are that wasn't his primary residence. Not with a significant other and three small children. And if you've ever seen any of Dez instagrams or even his girlfriend's pics, the house never looked like what I see this house looks like.

Having said that, his name is on the lease, so he's gonna have to cut a check of some kind. Maybe not the full $60k, but he's cutting a check.

Edit: Just looking at pics and re-reading.. He re-did the alarm system and I'd hazard a guess had to upgrade the electrical. Odds are that's where the big number came from.

DeaconMoss

Reaction score
On a hot day at the zoo you can smell those monkeys a mile away. I bet that place all closed up smelled real nice.

superonyx

Reaction score
My perspective...

It's disappointing that Dez decided to just cut and run from the house. It shows a lack of character to just run from a mess and not own up to it. He could have hired a contractor to get the place back in top shape for a fraction of what his landlord is claiming it cost...to try and give him the benefit of the doubt I will assume he was prepared to pay for the damages and maybe got into a dispute over the true cost of the damages. I am hoping it is a fight over principle and not a lack of character trying to stick someone else with his mess...

Bases on Dez doing other good deads and not seeming to be a greedy person I will assume it's more about a dispute over the cost to repair.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You know, if you think about it. Dez isn't just going to have to pay for repairs. He is going to have to pay for a project management because the Royce West isn't going to do it. He is also going to have to pay for lost revene since the house isn't in rentable condition.

Dez thought he could just walk away from this? :facepalm:

Good luck with that happening.
most the time when a renter moves out, you don't have someone moving right in. this damage can be repaired within that time frame. sue for your damages above the deposit amount.
As a person who has rental property myself. I speak from experience. Though usually was cleaning fees i deducted from the deposits, cleaning the carpet is automatic, painting. but leaving trash and carpet in that shape, I would charge them too.

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
just me but looks like dez could of cleaned up this mess before it came out all over the news. Its not like he don't have the money

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
5000 sf of carpet at $5 a sq ft adds up really quickly.

Wood flooring repair or replacement is quite expensive.

Broken windows of good quality can easily cost $1000 to replace.

Painting the interior of a house that size can easily run $10k or more.

The key would be the length of time in the rental and what would be considered normal wear and tear. And the owner has the responsibility to prove the damages, not the tenant. In the absence of a signed walk through, he is going to have a hard time.

The sad thing is that a lot of people think this is reasonable wear and tear and is the norm.

The most expensive thing is....Your gonna have to hire someone to fix everything. Labor costs aren't cheap.:rolleyes:

Honestly...I wouldn't want a guy on my team that let things get like this in his house. People may not want to hear it...but the faster we cut Dez loose...the better.:cool:

xvendettax914

Reaction score
The most expensive thing is....Your gonna have to hire someone to fix everything. Labor costs aren't cheap.:rolleyes:

Honestly...I wouldn't want a guy on my team that let things get like this in his house. People may not want to hear it...but the faster we cut Dez loose...the better.:cool:

Well. I must say. This is original. Guy Makes a mess. Cut him.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score

Yes, let's cut our best receiver bc his house was dirty.

My lord...

Proximo

Reaction score
Jmo..I don't think he really lived there. With all the folks he's had in/out of his life. Odds are that wasn't his primary residence. Not with a significant other and three small children. And if you've ever seen any of Dez instagrams or even his girlfriend's pics, the house never looked like what I see this house looks like.

This. I can't believe more people haven't brought this up. Seems obvious to me.

LOTS of NFL players (especially ones with a background like Dez) have a crazy amount of hanger onners and mooches in their lives. I highly doubt Dez actually lived there. It was likely occupied by freeloading "friends".

Not saying it's the right way to be, but it's reality for a lot of young NFL players who came from less than good households or living situations.

Hopefully he's moved on from those types of folks, as this happened quite a while ago.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
LOL. No offense, but you are clueless here.

Here's a suggestion. Walk into a Home Depot and price out their Glidden paint for a gallon of gray paint. Then find your local Benjamin Moore or Sherwin Williams paint store and price out a gallon of gray paint there.

Drywall is fairly stable in terms of price regardless of where you buy it. But the labor involved with hanging, taping, mudding, and prepping the walls for paint or wallpaper can vary significantly.

Carpeting has a wide price range. But it can get pricey. And if there is water damage to the carpet, there's a decent chance the subfloor could have damage. No idea if this house has a basement or not but you could be talking about replacing not only padding and carpet, but possibly the subfloor.

So I have no idea what the actual cost of the damage here is but the notion that it's impossible there could be $60K of damages could be inaccurate.

Exactly.

Few things stand out from those pictures; those look like liquid stains in those pics. If that liquid wasn't cleaned up and got into the hardwood or subflooring, that stuff is going to warp and has to be torn out. The court document alludes to the fact that flooring had to be replaced. Also, tile work can range from cheap Home Depot stuff to high-end imported material.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Well. I must say. This is original. Guy Makes a mess. Cut him.

It's not about a guy making a mess. It's about lifestyle...and how it reflects upon the team. Place looks like it's owned by a crackhead. The further the team distances itself from that mess...the better. How anyone can condone this ...is beyond me. It just goes to show how low the bar has been set as to what is acceptable in Big D now days. Tom Landry wouldn't have put up w/ this. He ran Hollywood Henderson off...and I imagine he would have done the same w/ Dez.:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.