Dallas Cowboys receiver Dez Bryant sued by state Sen. Royce West

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I have seen way too many Flip or Flop to know that 60k is outrageous for carpeting, paint and some general clean-up...it always looks worse when the furniture is gone and is a bit more than normal wear and tear but the dude is trying to make money, not get whole.....

Love that show and it is in Cali....not a cheaper Texas!

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
4000+ square feet. That's a lot of carpet and drywall.

My tenants sign a condition report form as part of the lease when they move in. The burden of proof is on the tenant to prove they didn't cause the damage, not the other way around.

Right on chief. That's just plain nasty. Animal feces. Just terrible! And just an FYI to others carpet ranges from $1-10 per sf w padding and installation. Oh and when I was in college my bro and I shared a two bedroom 900 sf apartment, and he had two dogs that kept eating at the floor molding and would have an accident once in awhile ( I know he should have potty trained them better), when we move out the complex charged us $1900 to replace that carpet and some of the floor molding like 15 ft. The carpet was super cheap.

Last edited:

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
It is, and the quality of the carpet and all other materials that come with a house of that value isn't just whatever they have laying around at Home Depot.

You think there is some super special carpet, paint, and drywall store?

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
4000+ square feet. That's a lot of carpet and drywall.

My tenants sign a condition report form as part of the lease when they move in. The burden of proof is on the tenant to prove they didn't cause the damage, not the other way around.

The house is actually 6,400 SF.

What are the chances they left a few rooms pristine in the pigsty that was created? I'm guessing highly unlikely.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
If you're not then what difference does it make?

And taking one side's take in a dispute as gospel is amusing.

What's amusing is someone stridently claiming to know what the actual costs of the damages should be which is precisely what he was doing.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
What's amusing is someone stridently claiming to know what the actual costs of the damages should be which is precisely what he was doing.

He was saying that the $60k tag was dramatically over inflated not stating 'actual' cost. The cost of carpet and paint isn't a mystery.

What's hilarious is watching you desperately trying to get that $60k figure to work.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
The house is actually 6,400 SF.

What are the chances they left a few rooms pristine in the pigsty that was created? I'm guessing highly unlikely.

Just turn that critical thinking off. Does West have any incentive to show them if they were? Does he have an incentive to hide them?

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
It's a sorry state of affairs if Dez can't take care of his rented home better than that. I've had property of mine trashed by an irresponsible renter in the past and it's an extremely maddening experience to say the least. He should have tended to the problem without waiting for legal action to complicate matters even more. He apparently needs to learn about assuming responsibility for damages to property he's entrusted with.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
He was saying that the $60k tag was dramatically over inflated not stating 'actual' cost. The cost of carpet and paint isn't a mystery.

What's hilarious is watching you desperately trying to get that $60k figure to work.

Lol, what's comical is you trying to simplify the damage to just carpet and paint.

If you bothered to read the report, which I'm sure you can't be bothered with, it provides added information as to the extent/nature of the damages. But hey, saying it's just "carpet and paint" is much easier than actually being informed.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Not any more than you think all carpet, paint, and whatever else is priced exactly the same.

No way man. I've seen carpet as cheap as $1.99 per square foot and Home Depot, so obviously it means that's what West used in his house, as well as every other American. Same goes for flooring, blinds, tile, windows, ceiling fans, et cetera.

Lol.

Wizarus

Reaction score
That's pretty unfortunate. I don't think he did 60k worth of damages(lol), but Dez should have handled renting better. I mean, I'm pretty much a low-key slob, and my stuff's not that bad. The carpet in particular is a disaster.

Longboysfan

hipfake08
Reaction score
LOL that's 60k in damages? New carpet, a fresh coat of paint, and a window.

I was expecting some crazy Manziel style coke den. This literally looks like you just had a messy tenant.

Don't rent from Royce West. He'd probably charge you 10 g's for some caulking around the baseboards.

Just like most land lords.
They give you the parting shot.

Pay to re-vamp the entire house.

Same thing on any rental.

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
Most of you should never rent properties is all I can say. You would be appalled and perpetually angry.

Its pretty much a given that when a house is turned over that carpet and paint is done.
Just about all apartment complexes these days consider repainting normal wear and tear. What this would come down to is what was agreed to in the lease, did they do a walk through etc. The burden of proof is up to the land lord to prove that it was handed over in the undamaged condition and that Dez agreed to it. Next he will have to prove the damages are $60,000 worth if he wins.

CWR

Reaction score
Wow say what you want but if Dez lived in this place in conditions to warrant that filth Im truly concerned about how he runs his life.

On the other hand if the people he surrounds himself with are this filthy Im concerned about that also.

The only halfway acceptable circumstance would be him taking care of old friends and never going near the place. In that case he still should have cleaned up and done the work after they moved out.

I make calls in the worst parts of Houston and Im familiar with the type of people that keep thier homes this way. Its not good for the most part. Funny thing is plenty of low income people in the hood still give a damn and clean thier homes. Its not expensive to keep a clean house.

Sydla

Reaction score
I have seen way too many Flip or Flop to know that 60k is outrageous for carpeting, paint and some general clean-up...it always looks worse when the furniture is gone and is a bit more than normal wear and tear but the dude is trying to make money, not get whole.....

Just a FYI but I wouldn't use those shows as proof of what renovations cost. There are a lot of articles out there from experts saying those expenses are way undercharged. You'd be hard pressed to completely gut and renovate an entire kitchen for $15K in Cali but somehow, on Flip or Flop, they do it.

You'd be surprised how much new carpet, any damage to walls, clean up, repainting, maybe even some floor repair would cost. For example, we bought a house that had a cat in it previously. Cat had peed all over the floor constantly in one room upstairs. It wasn't just the carpet that was ruined. Contractor had to rip the carpet up, then also replace the sub floor in the room because the pee had gone through the carpet and damaged the subfloor.

Sydla

Reaction score
My wife and I have owned rental properties before and we still currently own her old condo that we rent out. The notion that you should expect to change the carpet and paint every time a new tenant comes in is quite a stretch. If you have quality tenants, you shouldn't have to repaint rooms in a house. The last three couples we've rented to, over a 6 year period, have been great tenants with no damage whatsoever to the property. We even gave them the option of repainting some of the rooms themselves if they wanted to but none did and we've never had to repaint them because of damage. Carpet and Hardwood floors in the condo are in great shape too.

So the notion that a guy who rents a big house should expect to have to do $60K worth of repairs after a tenant leaves is funny.

Status
Not open for further replies.