Dallas Cowboys' Romo poised to be passed over for Pro Bowl

joseephuss

Reaction score
JVita17;2456028 said:
lol. I think Warner and Brees should make it over Romo this season easily.

Why? I think both guys are deserving of the Pro-Bowl, but I don't think that either should easily make it over Romo. It is still up in the air in my opinion and should come down to the next couple of games. It is too bad that voting ends before the season ends because the next 4 games are going to be big for Dallas and for the Saints and Cardinals as well.

Romo has had 3 games this year where his QB rating was less than 100 with the lowest being 72.8.

Brees has 5 games this year where his QB rating was less than 70 with all 5 being losses.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Givincer;2456040 said:
2007 was his lowest QB rating yet as a starter for a full season...

Before entering the last game of the regular season last year, he'd thrown more interceptions than touchdowns. He lead the league in interceptions. First quarterback to ever do that and win the Super Bowl in the same year.

Just saying. The guy's not been an outstanding quarterback thus far in his career. Particularly his completion percentage and YPA have been below average for his entire career, aside from this year.

Son, I say this seriously. You need to learn to interpret statistics. Manning 2007 stats were his "worst" for the regular season. However for the post season - you know, when stuff REALLY matters - he dropped a 95.7 PR.

Ignoring playoff performance is about the dumbest thing anyone can do in evaluating a player.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
a popular, Nationally known, 2-time Pro Bowler, with great stats getting passed over...

not on your life

AbeBeta

Reaction score
rocyaice;2456087 said:
Eli Manning should go to Hawaii because of what? What dumb *** reasoning.

Let's see. His last 16 games (this season and last year's post season)

62% completions. 3478 yards. 25 TD. 9 Int. 92.4 PR.

And the most important stat. 15-1. 4 playoff victories.

Please don't say the guy hasn't done anything. It just makes your fellow Cowboy fans seem ignorant.

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
AbeBeta;2456666 said:

Please don't say the guy hasn't done anything. It just makes your fellow Cowboy fans seem ignorant.

:hammer:

Givincer

Reaction score
AbeBeta;2456642 said:
Son, I say this seriously. You need to learn to interpret statistics. Manning 2007 stats were his "worst" for the regular season. However for the post season - you know, when stuff REALLY matters - he dropped a 95.7 PR.

I think stuff was "really matterin'" when they almost missed the playoffs in the useless and pointless regular season.

Ignoring playoff performance is about the dumbest thing anyone can do in evaluating a player.

I'm not ignoring it; I'm giving it proper context. I said regular season. There's a reason no quarterback has ever lead the league in interceptions and gone on to win the Super Bowl. Those teams often can't overcome their quarterback's turnovers enough to even make the playoffs.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
AbeBeta;2456666 said:

Why would you consider last season's performance into this year's pro bowl performance?

He's the 5th rated passer in the NFC. He happens to be on a team with an otherworldy running game and a fantastic defense. Other than that, he's nothing special. I'm not saying he sucks or anything, but is he a top QB in his conference? No.

Givincer

Reaction score
theogt;2456676 said:
Why would you consider last season's performance into this year's pro bowl performance?

He's the 5th rated passer in the NFC. He happens to be on a team with an otherworldy running game and a fantastic defense. Other than that, he's nothing special. I'm not saying he sucks or anything, but is he a top QB in his conference? No.

To think I was just taught a lesson in interpreting statistics! :laugh2:

I agree, entirely, with paragraph #2.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
theogt;2456676 said:

Why wouldn't you consider performances that postdated the pro bowl vote?

You know players and coaches who have a decision do.

He is not the best QB in his conference. But he is the most successful.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Givincer;2456671 said:
I think stuff was "really matterin'" when they almost missed the playoffs in the useless and pointless regular season.

oooooh. ALMOST missed the playoffs. that's MUCH better than almost winning a playoff game.

Givincer

Reaction score
AbeBeta;2456694 said:

You know players and coaches who have a decision do.

Depending on how you define success I guess, right?

If success of an individual player is completely a function of wins, then you're right.

But I think most people would probably take more into consideration than wins when evaluating a player's level of play, and whether or not they deserve to be in the pro bowl.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;2456697 said:
damn Abe, quit being so damn contrarian

All I've said here is that Manning is a lot better than he gets credit for. Me, I'd put him in the probowl with Romo and Warner. Brees can suck it b/c his team stinks.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Givincer;2456705 said:
Depending on how you define success I guess, right?

If success of an individual player is completely a function of wins, then you're right.

But I think most people would probably take more into consideration than wins when evaluating a player's level of play, and whether or not they deserve to be in the pro bowl.

What MORE is there. He's got pretty good stats and a 15-1 record. The only knock here is that you wouldn't want him on your fantasy team.

Givincer

Reaction score
AbeBeta;2456702 said:
oooooh. ALMOST missed the playoffs. that's MUCH better than almost winning a playoff game.

Did I say that?

Honestly?

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
AbeBeta;2456694 said:
Because it's not from this season, perhaps?

He's not even in the top 3 best QBs in his conference this season. You make a good point, though, that QBs get too much credit at times for their team's success.

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
theogt;2456719 said:
Because it's not from this season, perhaps?

He's not even in the top 3 best QBs in his conference this season. You make a good point, though, that QBs get too much credit at times for their team's success.

If they continue to win, with his family background he's in. It's how it works.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Dave_in-NC;2456722 said:
If they continue to win, with his family background he's in. It's how it works.
I'm well aware that undeserving players get awards. Such is life.

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
theogt;2456724 said:
I'm well aware that undeserving players get awards. Such is life.

Yup. Look at our own flozell. He's good but all them probowls?