Dallas Cowboys state of the union

Diehardblues

Reaction score
They need someone similar to a Sean Payton or Jim Harbaugh to come in here and be the guy, and run the entire show, and rebuild the whole deal, the most important part being finding the next QB.

It’s going to take a long while and a lot of pain to ever get to that point.

With much of the league doing rebuilding properly, there will always be enough bad teams to beat up on to keep us in mediocrity for the foreseeable future.

I can’t actually sit here and wish for the Giants or Washington to greatly improve, but it may be the best thing overall with regard to the possibility of real change at the top.

I just….cannot wrap my head around how these two don’t see the way they do things as being detrimental or problematic.

It’s not just fans saying it. Former star players do also. It’s met with nothing but denial and refusal to change.

How is that supposed to spark hope?
Great thoughts!!

I think they do see they are the problem. Or at least part of it. Jethro even admitted he’d of fired a GM with his record this era.

But I also believe our owner isn’t interesting in winning enough to step aside. Remember when he had a back to back championship team and HC that success wasn’t enough to get out of the way.

Our fanbase are mostly casual fans around the nation who became fans during our glory eras. And Jethro does just enough to keep the Cowboys relative and interesting which he can hype and provide some hope.

It’s why he spends so much time in the media as he believes only he can keep these fans engulfed enough. I’d argue so far he’s been right.

Diehard fans of course see things more clearly as we follow much closer . And Jethro addresses our apathetic and disgruntled views as well. The words and rhetoric he uses like Culture and All In are obvious he’s paying attention to social media, etc.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
They are doing a lot better than Denver.
Amazingly they are doing better than over half of the league at any given moment . Give credit to Jethro &Son for maintaining relevance and interest.

The difference is the rest of the league has a greater opportunity finally bringing in the right leadership to get it right.

It’s how in this era we are only one of a handful of teams which haven’t seen a championship appearance or Super Bowl. .

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
I'm not sure I agree. This team has proven they can win a lot of regular season games and make the playoffs, but they haven't proven they can win when it matters. You keep re-signing the same guys and you will likely have the same result. We need to find a way to sure up the weakest spots within the cap or we need to start doing things a different way and that includes players and coaches. Do we have the cap space and willingness to do that? Good enough isn't the goal
Really, until we have a change at GM and a corresponding culture change, it does not matter how much talent we amass.
When you are as soft as Charmin you are gonna go fetal position in the playoffs against good teams.

TwistedL0g1k

Reaction score
It saddens me to say: The Current state is a state of decline.

Given the salary cap situation combined with the lack of draft picks, and it's extremely difficult to imagine how the team is improved in 2024.
The list of needs far exceeds the opportunities to fill those needs.

The playoff loss was extremely disappointing, but the way Dallas lost says a lot.

I'll be surprised if McCarthy coaches Dallas beyond 2024, and just hope Dallas is not still married to the chokemaster at that point in time.

Dallas will not win 12 games next season.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The lack of draft picks? The Cowboys will have 7 and maybe more if they trade down.
After several trades in the offseason, the Cowboys are slated to only have five picks before any compensatory picks are announced. Dallas owns all of its first three picks, but they do not own a fourth-, fifth-, or sixth-round pick yet.

Cowboys Picks By Round In 2024​

• Round 1, Pick 24
  • Round 2, Pick 56
  • Round 3, Pick 87
  • Round 7, Pick 231 (from LV)
  • Round 7, Pick 242
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nf...ow-many-picks-do-the-cowboys-have/ar-AA1kV2eW

TwistedL0g1k

Reaction score
The lack of draft picks? The Cowboys will have 7 and maybe more if they trade down.
Dallas has no 4th round pick and no 5th round pick. They are also drafting late in every round.

I don't expect much from late 6th or late 7th round picks. Any comp picks they get will also be at the end of each round.

That really only leaves 3 possible picks that one can reasonably expect to significantly contribute- although Dallas has proven they can hit in later rounds.

Last year's draft didn't move the needle much. Dallas will pick up some talent in the 2024 draft, but they are losing some talent too, and have little money to spend in free agency.

Big_D

Reaction score
After several trades in the offseason, the Cowboys are slated to only have five picks before any compensatory picks are announced. Dallas owns all of its first three picks, but they do not own a fourth-, fifth-, or sixth-round pick yet.

• Round 1, Pick 24
  • Round 2, Pick 56
  • Round 3, Pick 87
  • Round 7, Pick 242
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nf...ow-many-picks-do-the-cowboys-have/ar-AA1kV2eW
And I think their comp picks might be a 6th and a 7th. Something like that. Definitely slim pickings. Trade back out of round 1 might be a necessity at this point.

shabazz

Reaction score
Dallas has no 4th round pick and no 5th round pick. They are also drafting late in every round.

I don't expect much from late 6th or late 7th round picks. Any comp picks they get will also be at the end of each round.

That really only leaves 3 possible picks that one can reasonably expect to significantly contribute- although Dallas has proven they can hit in later rounds.

Last year's draft didn't move the needle much. Dallas will pick up some talent in the 2024 draft, but they are losing some talent too, and have little money to spend in free agency.
This displeases me.....all in.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

• Round 1, Pick 24
  • Round 2, Pick 56
  • Round 3, Pick 87
  • Round 7, Pick 242

Oh my gosh you guys. We've been over this so many times. I posted this in the Draft Zone back on January 17th for crying out loud.

https://cowboyszone.com/threads/cowboys-2024-draft-positional-and-compensatory-picks.520912/

:hammer:

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
What would they have to give up to secure more draft picks? And how much sense would that make? Are you suggesting they give up their 1st, 2nd or 3rd. What, exactly, are you talking about?

TwistedL0g1k

Reaction score
Oh my gosh you guys. We've been over this so many times. I posted this in the Draft Zone back on January 17th for crying out loud.

https://cowboyszone.com/threads/cowboys-2024-draft-positional-and-compensatory-picks.520912/

:hammer:
A more recent projection from NFL.com predicts two 6th round picks, at the end of the round of course.

NFL.com 2024 Comp Picks

So basically players on the level of Deuce. I wouldn't expect much help from those picks. Late 6th rounders shouldn't even make a playoff roster.

And there's no ignoring the absence of the 4th and 5th round picks traded away.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What would they have to give up to secure more draft picks? And how much sense would that make? Are you suggesting they give up their 1st, 2nd or 3rd. What, exactly, are you talking about?
You want more draft picks you have 3 choices. Trade down or trade future draft picks or trade a player.

Right now they will have 7 draft picks and maybe 8 if they get a comp pick for Noah Brown which no one expects.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
A more recent projection from NFL.com predicts two 6th round picks, at the end of the round of course.

NFL.com 2024 Comp Picks

So basically players on the level of Deuce. I wouldn't expect much help from those picks. Late 6th rounders shouldn't even make a playoff roster.

And there's no ignoring the absence of the 4th and 5th round picks traded away.
Some recent 6th round picks:

Israel Mukuamu
Donovan Wilson
Cedric Wilson
Xavier Woods

And their isn't a 4th and 5th pick because those players are already on the roster. So those picks aren't missing or anything like that at all.

TwistedL0g1k

Reaction score
Those late 6th round comp picks will likely fall between about #210 and #215 overall.

Based on the pick values per the draft value chart, the missing 4th round pick alone is worth between 7.3 and 10 sixth round picks!
The missing 5th round pick is worth between 4.1 and 5.7 sixth round picks.

That puts the value of those comp picks in perspective.

Last edited:

TwistedL0g1k

Reaction score
Some recent 6th round picks:

Israel Mukuamu
Donovan Wilson
Cedric Wilson
Xavier Woods

And their isn't a 4th and 5th pick because those players are already on the roster. So those picks aren't missing or anything like that at all.
Absolutely! They've been good at hitting on some late rounders. (as I said earlier)

And I definitely agree that those traded picks weren't wasted.

It's interesting that the 2 Super-Bowl teams each have one of those two traded picks.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
You want more draft picks you have 3 choices. Trade down or trade future draft picks or trade a player.

Right now they will have 7 draft picks and maybe 8 if they get a comp pick for Noah Brown which no one expects.
Yea it’s still 7 picks but not our original 7 picks.

Basically we are getting our 1st three rounds.

The rest prob won’t make the team or non impact. Hardly worth boasting about.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Absolutely! They've been good at hitting on some late rounders. (as I said earlier)

And I definitely agree that those traded picks weren't wasted.

It's interesting that the 2 Super-Bowl teams each have one of those two traded picks.
Yes there’s always exceptions but basically we have our 1st 3 round picks. The rest is crap. Non impact.

TwistedL0g1k

Reaction score
Using the draft value chart, I calculated the value of the missing 4th round and 5th round picks, relative to the total combined value of all picks in 7 rounds.

6.3%

Not so bad from this perspective at least.