Dallas Cowboys Trade CeeDee Lamb? Jerry Jones Questions 'Value' Of Paying Star WR

rockj7

Reaction score
Just look at how much older and feeble Jerry looks in this picture compared to the last few years.

GJejmaAWEAAsVq3

If his body looks like that ......... think about what type of shape his brain is in.

Wont be long now
Not to be funny I was thinking the same thing

MikeyJones214

Reaction score
Teams are not winning SB's with the highest paid WR, same at RB and most likely moving forward QB.

CD could easily be traded for 2 firsts and save $30M. That is equal to 3 players at $10M each for a total of 5 starters.
This is exactly how I understood Jerry's quote.

He's basically saying that in order to get the value out of a top Dollar WR, you have to depend ONLY on him to carry the passing game and that's why he said getting 3 WRs at 10M per makes more sense.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
"4 or 5 players for CeeDee". What is $30 million divided by 5? $6 million, Jerry's magic number in free agency. That is his Rubicon but he won't cross it. Jerry thinks the team could be better of with a handful of $6 million players than CeeDee. This is a big change in Jerry's philosophy of overpaying his own players while saying he wouldn't overpay free agents. It looks like now, he won't be paying anybody.

But he is looking at it wrong. Jerry should be asking what draft picks he could get for Cee Dee who has one more year on his rookie deal. This is a good year to be drafting WRs in the first round. If he is not going to pay CeeDee he may as well trade him and get something in return.
Trading stud WRs for draft picks to draft another WR does not always work out too good.

Titans traded A.J. Brown for a 1st round pick which they used to draft Burks from Arkansas..............dude has been a complete bust.

GM that approved that trade ended up getting fired, of course that wont happen here but the point still stands, you dont just automatically hit in the draft.

ATXSRT

Reaction score
Contract talk.

Jerry adores CeeDee just as he has adored every star WR since he took over.

If Jerry could play any position in the NFL, given the ability, he would be a WR. That position personifies Jerry Jones....flamboyant, supreme confidence, big splash plays.....

Just look at Jerry's history when it came to Cowboys WR's. He's given up more 1st round picks to trade for one, paid multimillions to sign and resign them.

Jerry isn't trading Lamb, no way. Lamb was the reason he traded Cooper.
IDK if Jerry has that same love for CD like he did all the other 88s. We never see Lamb talking up Jerry like Bryant used to/does.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
When baby Diggs wanted the big bucks everyone said we couldn't live without him. We pay him and he instantly vanishes and the team is better without him. Imagine last years team but add 20 million in free agents. Diggs never did anything in the playoffs except to run away from kittle like a scared little baby. CD ran and hid against Green bay like a sad little baby. Stars get the job done. We have no stars.

trueblue1687

Reaction score
I took it as him essentially saying his salary is eating up enough for 4 or 5 players, thus they must squeeze out every ounce of use. Doesn’t sound anything like a hint at trade value.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
So why is team owner Jerry Jones hinting at a question about Lamb's contractual value?

"He's out there and he's more valuable than anybody else," Jones said on Tuesday. "But that valuable, to have to give up four or five players to have him, you have to get that reconciled. That's what I'm trying to say. It's a lot quicker and easier said than done."

"Give up four or five players?'' What? More Jerry ...

"Whoever has CeeDee, and I hope it's us, they're going to use him," Jones said. "You have to. You just have to get that kind of mileage out of him. ...''

"Whoever has CeeDee''? What? Jerry - YOU HAVE HIM!

https://www.si.com/nfl/cowboys/dall...questions-value-of-paying-dak-prescott-weapon
jerry is setting up to blow the whole thing up and rebuild.

he doesn't see a path forward that could maximize his money, so wouldn't surprise me to trade Lamb and then Trade Parsons and accumulate draft picks and try to rebuild.

probably Johnson's influence. telling him, this thing has gone as far as it can. we probably will see a draft with an eye on the future for these moves. draft a WR early, draft defense. draft RB. one last run with this group. I don't think he expects success. so he is setting up for the most probably season failure (given he gutted the depth and several positions on the team). so the season is going to blow up. very quickly. then all the coaches are gone (one year deals). QB gone, Lamb being traded, Parsons traded. and we go full rebuild mode and sell hope. wouldn't surprise me to roll into 2025 with Rush as a starter and aim for a top 5 pick. wouldn't be such a bad idea

Creeper

Reaction score
Trading stud WRs for draft picks to draft another WR does not always work out too good.

Titans traded A.J. Brown for a 1st round pick which they used to draft Burks from Arkansas..............dude has been a complete bust.

GM that approved that trade ended up getting fired, of course that wont happen here but the point still stands, you dont just automatically hit in the draft.
I understand. No draft pick is a sure thing. But I would take than chance rather than lose CeeDee and get nothing for him.