Dallas D is now comparable to the 85 Chicago Bears

Rayman70

Reaction score
no, no we aren't. That team was to be feared. I watched every game back then and those dudes actually scared offenses. We aren't doing that 2 that level. But I guess if we can be top 5, I'll take it.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Not even close. We were just bashing this defense 2 weeks ago for giving up 200 yards rushing to GB in a loss. This defense isn't even on par with the great cowboy defenses of the 70's and 90's.

We had a great game in MN. Lets not get too crazy.
this ^. Hey guys lets just settle for being a top 5-10 rated D and take a win.

DTK

Reaction score
85 Bears?????

When this defense shuts out 2 teams in the playoffs, including in the championship game, then we can make that argument.

This is why people hate Cowboys fans & make fun of our fanbase.

terra

Reaction score
I have never thought total yards was a real measure of any D.

The 2003 Cowboys D was either first or second there - cannot remember. Anyway that supposedly meant they were a top D.
BUT that stat was misleading; we faced very few competent offenses that season and when we did we usually did NOT look like a top D.

To me a TOP D does this:
forces all the offenses it faces to react to what THEY do.
Makes the top offenses it faces look average.
And most important of all:
MAKES THE STOPS WHEN IT MATTERS.

So far this D has done little of that. It is probably the best D we have had since 2009 but until they show up when it truly matters anyone claiming its great is a moron.

terra

Reaction score
My thinking on important D stats are these:
3rd down conversion rate
Yds per pass and yds per rush
Pts scored (and only points given up by the D- not special teams or pick 6's, etc)

as regards historically great D's I would first start out with looking at how big the differential was between the league average that year and that D.
The look at the offenses it faced; how many were really good.
Then of course what did they do in crunch time

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Not just yet, Dallas still needs to handle the run game. verses Minn Cowboys jumped on them Early and often putting this in a position where they went away from the run. Personally, I think this defense is capable of improving over the course of the season, we have some young guys in this lineup and still learning and developing. Look at Sam Williams, he is not the same player he was in the early part of the season he has continue to work and develop and now becoming a key part of this defense. I don't get into knee jerk reaction of this is the 85 Bears or trash I see them as a young unit still improving, I don't buy into they can't improve as a run defense, I think they can.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Not just yet, Dallas still needs to handle the run game. verses Minn Cowboys jumped on them Early and often putting this in a position where they went away from the run. Personally, I think this defense is capable of improving over the course of the season, we have some young guys in this lineup and still learning and developing. Look at Sam Williams, he is not the same player he was in the early part of the season he has continue to work and develop and now becoming a key part of this defense. I don't get into knee jerk reaction of this is the 85 Bears or trash I see them as a young unit still improving, I don't buy into they can't improve as a run defense, I think they can.

Bears gave up 12.4 pts per game, Dallas is at 16.7. Bears gave up about 84 ypg rushing, Dallas gives up 136.

Bears defense was one of the best ever, I'd love to see Dallas get to that level, but they're not there yet....

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Bears gave up 12.4 pts per game, Dallas is at 16.7. Bears gave up about 84 ypg rushing, Dallas gives up 136.

Bears defense was one of the best ever, I'd love to see Dallas get to that level, but they're not there yet....

I agree as I said I think our defense is very good and still improving with young players. I will also say the rules in 85 were different as the NFL has evolved the rule changes continue to favor offense, things Bears did in 85 would be personal fouls in 2022.

doomsday9084

Reaction score
Dallas certainly isn't on the level of the 85 Bears, Ravens or Steel Curtain.

They are pretty good though. Clearly top 5 this year. Too much is made of the run defense. A ton of the run defense yards are just QB's running for their life because no one is open.

I think some of the overreaction is simply based on the problem that its been a looooong time since Dallas had a good defense.

JeffInDC

Reaction score
Dallas defense just kicked the doors off of a very good Viking's team. I have not seen a defense this great on all levels ever. Even better than the:
85 Bears
86 Giants
76 Steelers
Ray Lewis Ravens

The Cowboys pass rush is deadly and I don't think they have peaked yet. Every defensive player deserves a game ball Kearse, Parsons, Armstrong, Gallimore, Fowler, D-Law, Williams, LVE, Clark, Brown, Diggs. Every offensive linemen deserves a game ball as well. The O-line was opening up 5 yard lanes. Talk about depth...this is the deepest team in football. This O-line is shaping up as well. The O-line is getting to the 2nd level and just mauling. Smith, McGovern, Biadasz, Martin and Steele are like uncaged animals. Dak had all day against a good defense. Pollard has proven to be just as explosive as Tyrek. Parsons is DPOY.

I am ready for Thanksgiving Day. The march to the Superbowl is great, enjoy the Kool-Aid. What Y-all think?

Go Dallas!!!
Not even close to ANY of those squads - even the the '76 Steelers, in an era when most teams were still running the ball WAY MORE, only gave up 104 ypg on the ground...and only 5 TD's ALL YEAR. And, all those teams gave up 14.8ppg or LESS.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
The 85' Bears allowed a total of 1,319 rushing yards for the whole season.

The Cowboys through 10 games this season have allowed 1,361 rushing yards.

Get outta here lol

blueblood70

Reaction score
Dallas defense just kicked the doors off of a very good Viking's team. I have not seen a defense this great on all levels ever. Even better than the:
85 Bears
86 Giants
76 Steelers
Ray Lewis Ravens

The Cowboys pass rush is deadly and I don't think they have peaked yet. Every defensive player deserves a game ball Kearse, Parsons, Armstrong, Gallimore, Fowler, D-Law, Williams, LVE, Clark, Brown, Diggs. Every offensive linemen deserves a game ball as well. The O-line was opening up 5 yard lanes. Talk about depth...this is the deepest team in football. This O-line is shaping up as well. The O-line is getting to the 2nd level and just mauling. Smith, McGovern, Biadasz, Martin and Steele are like uncaged animals. Dak had all day against a good defense. Pollard has proven to be just as explosive as Tyrek. Parsons is DPOY.

I am ready for Thanksgiving Day. The march to the Superbowl is great, enjoy the Kool-Aid. What Y-all think?

Go Dallas!!!
Not close they have an elite pass rush but still vulnerable to the run game and mobile qbs and teams who are willing to stick to the run no matter what,.. the bears defense would not have blown a 4th qtr 14 point lead or nearly let the bears come back from 21 down.. they have ways to go but yes a great defense but a label, not yet., win some playoff games and if they are the ones who shut down one of those teams in big game, we can talk.
right now id say they are similar to the 90s cowboy defenses. did they need a label?

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
It's almost impossible to compare defenses across eras like this. Those defenses physically intimidated offenses.

QB's, RB's and receivers probably didn't sleep much the night before playing them knowing they were going to get the living crap knocked out of them. The rules don't allow that anymore.

It would have been interesting to see how some of the smaller slot receivers who have had great success the last 20 years would have faired going against those defenses that could punish them going across the middle. Same for QB's when rushers could still demolish the QB if they were one step away when the ball was released.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Our defense is comparable to the ‘85 bears? Wow. This isn’t even the 4th best defense in Cowboys history. Maybe we should let them win a playoff game before we declare them anything.

True I also think rule changes favoring the offense plays a big part. Watching old highlights of many of these great teams it is easy to see many of the plays they made would not fall under the label of personal foul blow to the head. lol The game has changed I doubt we will ever see the likes of those type of defense again.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Our defense is comparable to the ‘85 bears? Wow. This isn’t even the 4th best defense in Cowboys history. Maybe we should let them win a playoff game before we declare them anything.
Hes just living in the moment. definitely still high off beating MN, its ok but for sure no way this d has earned label that bears game and 14 point collapse to GB says they are not ready for a label.,Im pretty sure they are still not ranked well in run d and that drops them in total team defensive rankings.

pitt33

Reaction score
you left our the Super Bowl VI championship defense in your list. The AFC champion only managed a field goal the whole game.
Yes. I thought of them. That was a salty group. Who could forget Lilly’s 29 yard sack of Griese.

blueblood70

Reaction score
True I also think rule changes favoring the offense plays a big part. Watching old highlights of many of these great teams it is easy to see many of the plays they made would not fall under the label of personal foul blow to the head. lol The game has changed I doubt we will ever see the likes of those type of defense again.
really, changes , that would halp the pass game not the run defense, run d is still run d, they cant be seen as the 85 bears or doomsday defenses nor deserve a label, as those defenses would not have nearly allowed the bears to come back up by 21 and lost to gb up by 14.. rules didn't not change how team stops the run,. that effort and doing your job,. we have an elite pass rush but run defense is still suspect.