Dallas does miss Zeke

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Pollard is far from a scrub and I havent seen the Oline make very many good blocks on a consistent basis that wasnt called back on penalties or lost on a fumble. zeke was far from elite when he was released but I have to admit I do miss his goal line presence

The problem is 2 fold the offensive line has not performed well this year despite what PPF will tell you and the scheme is garbage. Pounding Zeke instead of Pollard into Tyler B backside is only gonna gain you maybe and adiitional 20 yards a game if that. Its not gonna scare opposing defenses and open things up in the passing game
Haven't done that since Travis left.

starfan1

Reaction score
One of the deepest RB classes in years and we waited until Round 6 to draft an undersized feel good story.
I was incredibly frustrated with the last draft. Not only did we whiff on a RB we at this point anyway seem to have failed with the line. Now perhaps guys like Asim Richards and Bass end up working out but the fact that we passed on the guard from florida for a TE that at the moment hasnt really contributed much adds to my frustration. Oh well Ill enjoy the ride anyway

kskboys

Reaction score
I was incredibly frustrated with the last draft. Not only did we whiff on a RB we at this point anyway seem to have failed with the line. Now perhaps guys like Asim Richards and Bass end up working out but the fact that we passed on the guard from florida for a TE that at the moment hasnt really contributed much adds to my frustration. Oh well Ill enjoy the ride anyway
To add, a TE that was overdrafted and didn't seem to be capable of adding very much.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's not that simple. If you want Zeke it costs you $18M a year.

So looking at it like that the answer is easily NO Dallas doesn't miss Zeke badly.

Additionally, did you watch the last 6 games last year? His 1.8 ypa isn't missed one bit.
And somehow, he’s only costing NE 2M unless he miraculously regains his pro bowl form in which case his salary escalates to 6M. That’s the kind of deal we should have had with him.

tromofan

Reaction score
Understanding Zeke was no longer what he once was, he still knows the offense, we could've kept him at a bargain basement price, Pollard is not a bell cow back and is much more dangerous when he split time with him, he is still effective on screen plays, and was great blocker and good on blitz pickups as well. And the biggest reason, MM claims he took over the play calling because he wanted to run the ball more.

Ken

Reaction score
It has nothing to do with Zeke. Pollard is not Zeke. You can't run him directly into the middle of the defense and expect him to push the pile. It reminds me of back in the early 2000's when we had Troy Hambrick and we kept trying to run him wide for some reason. He was a big back, not a speed back. They need to get Pollard outside the line, whether that be a toss or a short pass/screen. That's where he will excel. Dowdle or Luepke would be better options if you just want to run it directly up the middle constantly.
They are using Pollard TOO much. He is not a workhorse back, never has been on any level and never will. They need to use the rest of their backs more.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
We miss Zeke in the sense that we need someone else to be the "bell cow" so that Pollard can be fresh
giphy.gif

Let’s please trade a 5th at least for some more cow bell.

diamonddelts

Reaction score
Cowboys fans love mediocrity. Craving a declining player with a low ypc. When the answer is to stop giving revenue to a obsolete owner/gm who continues to make bad personnel decisions.

SackMaster

Reaction score
Actually defenses are playing the run against us. We are top 5 in ‘heavy box’ situations against us.
Not that I don't believe you, but every time I watch games I notice, and even the announcers point out how, defenses are playing 2 safeties back on most plays.

So if you could provide your source, I would greatly appreciate it.

CowboysRule

Reaction score
They are using Pollard TOO much. He is not a workhorse back, never has been on any level and never will. They need to use the rest of their backs more.
I completely agree. He should be capped around 15 carries or so a game.

Reactions: Ken

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well, we can probably get him back from NE for a half can of Pringle’s with lid.

vlad

Reaction score
The cowboys miss a o-line coach that was better than last years which is saying something. Don't know if he's lost it or they aren't getting it or what - but they are brutal at run blocking...and having guards literally pirouette on pass plays and stuff seems insane when LBs are running like 4.4

starfan1

Reaction score
Using him TOO much is a good discussion to have and has merit. But using him WRONG is a better discussion and a bigger issue. although our line needs to step up

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Remember when people assured us that Rico Dowdle and Deuce Vaughan would outperform Zeke this year? That take has not aged well to this point. But there are 11 games left for those guys to pick it up. TP was also supposed to average > 5 ypc and challenge for the rushing title. Which sane people knew was a pipe dream. But again.. 11 games left for things to turn around. I certainly would be happy if we could just establish a reliable running game with Pollard getting about 4.5 yards a pop. We don't need him to lead the league.. We just need him to supply steady production with a smattering of home run balls.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Using him TOO much is a good discussion to have and has merit. But using him WRONG is a better discussion and a bigger issue. although our line needs to step up
Yeah the A-B gap run percentages for Pollard are way out of whack. I thought I heard on one of the Cowboys podcasts that he's hitting it up the middle like 75% of his runs. In other words, they are running him very much the same way they ran Zeke. And frankly getting inferior results for it. Yes you have to run him inside some to keep the defense honest but it should never be more than 50% of his runs.