READ THIS Dallas Morning News (DMN) has demanded we no longer allow their content posted on CZ

Status
Not open for further replies.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Print is a dying media, eclipsed by the speed of the internet. Content is so prolific, and easily accessible, the DMN site will not be missed. I paid for content from them last year because I believe taking their intellectual property without paying for it is stealing. They are desperate to breathe life into the deceased.

From the bottom line point of view, this will backfire on them. I do not advocate a boycott of their product, however, I believe that is exactly what will take place. The people of this site will find similar information elsewhere as rapidly, if not quicker than a daily newspaper.

Truly this seems like bringing your best race horse to the Indy 500 and lining up against those machines. The newspaper will lose in the end. Then thirty years from now someone will resurrect the notion of typeset and graphics, and it will become fashionable again. Like bell bottoms. Then go down in flames as a fad.

I wish them luck, and hold no malice toward them. People's livelihoods are at stake. But from all signs, the water is close to rushing over the deck of the Titanic.

Dying?

It's dead Jim.

It's been dead since early 2000's. They have been busted fudging numbers to show profit = not!

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
Bummer. As a Cowboys fan far away from Dallas, Cowboys Zone is one of my many stops to get my Cowboys news. I have the DMN Cowboys page bookmarked anyway, but it was rather convenient when fellow Zoners would link interesting articles.

As others have said, I guess our added traffic just doesn't matter to them.:huh:

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
DMN should have considered it a privilege for their material to be posted on the site used by the most informed, knowledgeable and loyal Cowboy fans on the planet. It gave their journalists desperately needed credibility.

Their newspaper has now returned to it's previous status.....backup toilet paper and wrapping for old ladies dishes on it's way to a storage unit.

In this day of internet, tweets, You Tube, Facebook, and NFL network, newspapers must compete just for the opportunity to be relevant. Now, they just took themselves out of the competition. Their management just handed a drowning medium a ten ton anchor.
Great post, Plasticman! :)

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
@Sturm1310

He posts here quite a bit during the season, usually the Monday or Tuesday after the game. He occasionally answers questions from his articles, too.

Wow as much as I am on here and enjoy reading Sturm's articles, you would think I would have noticed his threads!

Thanks for the link to his userid. I am going to checkout a few of his threads to see if I read them!

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
Wow as much as I am on here and enjoy reading Sturm's articles, you would think I would have noticed his threads!

Thanks for the link to his userid. I am going to checkout a few of his threads to see if I read them!
Have fun, Viman! :)

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
@Reality - hmm does this mean all previous DMN content has to be deleted? Or they only concerned with newly created content?

DFWJC

Reaction score
DMN

200.gif

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
Their legal order states all of their content. As I said, we have no desire to police their content on the site nor do we want to mess with any grey areas.

I understand that a lot of you are applying common sense ideas to the request, but they are just not an option and even if they were, it is not something we can adequately police and enforce.

As I have no skin in the game, clearly it is up to you as it is your wallet, but it seems to me DMN has no leg to stand on. There is nothing wrong with linking other content as far as I am aware. It is just a bully tactic. If you wrote back and told them to shove it, I suspect they wouldn't have the stones to take you to court.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
Their legal order states all of their content. As I said, we have no desire to police their content on the site nor do we want to mess with any grey areas.

I understand that a lot of you are applying common sense ideas to the request, but they are just not an option and even if they were, it is not something we can adequately police and enforce.

fyi, I suspect it is not an order as a law firm cannot make an order, it is a demand letter. Orders can only be made by courts.

diefree666

Reaction score
I think they are going for subscription service only. Otherwise this is absolutely stupid. Of course they could be that dumb.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
I don't get the logic of doing this, especially when a link will drive site traffic up and thus would increase ad revenue.

The company I work for pays a small fortune to put clickable banners and pop up ads on other people's websites. DMN is basically getting that service here for free and they are crying about it?

Makes no business sense at all, but if their legal team has their panties in a bunch over this Reality has no choice but to comply.

I ask everybody to honor this request and have Reality's back here, we don't want him getting in any legal trouble here.

cml750

Reaction score
Since I have become a member here at the zone well over a decade ago, the only way I have accessed DMN is via a link posted on this site and I read this site every single day. Well the DMN will get no more clicks from me.

HeavyBarrel

Reaction score
I can listen to Sturm and he's great, (it takes a Packer fan lol) but have no use for that rag if thats how they wanna roll

Dallas_Cowboys50

Reaction score
I used to be a daily reader via print in the 90's and online in the last 15 yrs or so, but rarely go there anymore....I might just have to even unfollow DMN on twitter for this nonsense.....

Status
Not open for further replies.