Dallas Morning News staff predicts what's next for Romo

Gameover

Reaction score
That's what I was getting at. Media and fans are speculating his next team. I think there's a strong chance he just decides to retire a Cowboy and be done this offseason.
Never

Cowboys will get some teams first round pick(in the 20's) or a teams second and third rounders. Cowboys may 'settle' for a teams 2nd and 4th round package.

Watch

They won't let a chip like Romo walk for free.

Last edited:

sean10mm

Reaction score
The problem with trading Romo is that teams know that if they wait, he will hit the market, because there is no way the Cowboys keep him. The idea that the Cowboys will keep Romo on the books and have an open QB competition between him and Dak in 2017 is pure fantasy.

Kaiser

Reaction score
All that may be true but none of it changes what I said. Romo's contract is not the stumbling block to a trade. A team trading for him will be getting a franchise QB at a very reasonable salary and cap commitment. I don't think JJ is going to try and force a trade to a bad team and I also don't think Romo will take a hardline stance either. I suspect they will reach an agreement to let Romo and his agent seek an agreeable trade and if nothing comes of that, Jerry will be faced with the difficult decision of cutting him or paying him $14 million as a backup. I know everyone says it's impossible to keep him and Romo will rebel but I'm not so sure Jerry can't find a way to make it work if a trade can't be found. It may be a longshot but I will not be surprised at all if Romo remains a Cowboys for one more year.

I agree with all of that, and would add that backchannel talks with Romo's agent likely happened even during the season, with direct "unofficial" discussions starting as soon as the season ended. We know Romo and Elway spent the day at a political event together, there are very likely other meetings that have taken place with other teams. The tampering rules say teams can't talk contract terms with Romo but they don't have to, his contract is already in place. They will know how Romo fits and how he feels about the coaches, scheme, etc - then start trade talks directly with Jerry after the Super Bowl.

erod

Reaction score
So, the general thought is Romo is released for nothing more than $5.1 million in cap savings, which will have to largely spent on a backup QB anyway.

Then we watch the best QB on the roster play for another team next year.

Great.

Cowboysfan917

Reaction score
Latest rumors are that Romo wants to got o a team that has dem Boys on the schedule in 2017.

I've seen these reports as well. This seems odd to me. I mean, I would feel this way if I was him but Romo's relationship with Jerry seems unscathed. It's impossible to read into it but one has to wonder if his relationship with Garrett wasn't hurt tremendously by this. I didn't see any of the basketball games or anything with them this season like years past. It also seemed like Romo wasn't around JG on the sidelines. Pure speculation but he seemingly wants to outduel someone.

DFWJC

Reaction score
So, the general thought is Romo is released for nothing more than $5.1 million in cap savings, which will have to largely spent on a backup QB anyway.

Great.
Most likely the case, yes.
Except for maybe spending the extra 5mil on a QB. It wouldn't surprise me at all if they roll with Moore as the backup seeing that they were planning to that last year anyway. So no additional spending there.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score

Great.
Releasing Romo saves 14M against our cap.

DFWJC

Reaction score
I've seen these reports as well. This seems odd to me. I mean, I would feel this way if I was him but Romo's relationship with Jerry seems unscathed. It's impossible to read into it but one has to wonder if his relationship with Garrett wasn't hurt tremendously by this. I didn't see any of the basketball games or anything with them this season like years past. It also seemed like Romo wasn't around JG on the sidelines. Pure speculation (THIS) ..............
Oh that is a total hoax.:laugh:
Even if Romo wanted that secretly, there is no way he'd tell anyone that publically.
That's not remotely his m.o.
He just wants to play for a decent team that can contend.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
The only thing the Cowboys owe Romo if he were to stay on the roster are his base salaries. That is the figure we'd be adding to our cap. Releasing Romo accelerates his amortized bonuses onto this cap to the tune of about $19mm. His cap charge is $24mm. So you'd be getting an immediate "savings" on the cap of $5mm. That's the number people are citing.

But if you kept him on the roster you're paying out an additional $14mm in base salary. That money is not phantom dollars. Those are real.

DFWJC

Reaction score
The only thing the Cowboys owe Romo if he were to stay on the roster are his base salaries. That is the figure we'd be adding to our cap. Releasing Romo accelerates his amortized bonuses onto this cap to the tune of about $19mm. His cap charge is $24mm. So you'd be getting an immediate "savings" on the cap of $5mm. That's the number people are citing.

But if you kept him on the roster you're paying out an additional $14mm in base salary. That money is not phantom dollars. Those are real.
CAP-wise, they save the 5.1 mil if they cut him or trade him.
But, yes, CASH-wise, Jerry would save much more than that.

All we should care about is the cap though.
agree?

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Releasing Romo saves 14M against our cap.
So does trading him.......I want picks back for a top 15 QB.......don't care if he breaks down for new team........not my problem.......in fact I prefer it unless picks are conditional

If Romo leaves there is a good chance he plays against us..... I will not be rooting for him or his new team

Doomsay

Reaction score
Holdout for the best trade, for as long as it takes, we need to squeeze value out of that monster cap hit. Team first.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score

agree?
OK then restructure Romo's 14m and lower his cap hit from 24.7m to 16m

We keep him as a backup and prevent him from hurting us in the future while saving 8.7m on the cap immediately

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score

agree?
No. No. No.

Everything that impacts our Cap in regards to Romo is sunk cost. EXCEPT for the $14mm. That's new chargers if we were to keep him this year. The 5.1mm is accounting.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
OK then restructure Romo's 14m and lower his cap hit from 24.7m to 16m

We keep him as a backup and prevent him from hurting us in the future while saving 8.7m on the cap immediately
We'd have to renegotiate his contract to save money. A restructure just pushes the $14mm into the future.