Dallas should explore Dak trade value

tunahelper

Reaction score
After Stephan comments about Dak needing to sign team friendly deal and Dak on record as saying there will be no discount...an impasse is coming. Rather than get into issue of is Dak good or not, what could Cowboy get in trade if long term deal can't be agreed upon.

Note:
Denver received TWO 1st & 3rd for Jay Cutler
Cincy received 1st & 2nd for Carson Palmer
Eagles received 1st & 4th round pick for Sam Bradford.

If your Stephan, what would you need back in trade?

Note: this is not to get into large debate about if Dallas should or shouldn't do this but merely an exercise in what you think his current trade value is.

2 high draft picks for Dak and we can build a top notch supporting cast. Kitna is now the QB coach, so why couldn't he just be the QB as well?

Kevinicus

Reaction score
It's a badge of honor because it proves a quarterback can thrive under pressure and come through in the clutch. With the game on the line, the Cowboys can put the ball in Dak's hands and know he's going to seize the moment. It's not always the quarterback's fault when a team is trailing late.

I'm not a baseball fan, but to me that's the equivalent of a pitcher being able to get three strikeouts with the bases loaded in the ninth inning.

It doesn't prove that at all.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
No you said Dak keeps regressing which is completely false. And keep using this false narrative that Dak is only successful because of players around him. Sure this team has talent but he hasn't had the same offensive players every year. They keep changing. Y'all keep saying he walked into a great squad but that team went 4-12 the year prior.

By the way people have used other things besides wins and probowls but y'all don't want to respond to those

Speaking of myths that need to die. The idea that the 2016 team was the same as 2015 except for Dak being the difference. It's stupid.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
Trade a franchise QB and be left without a QB?

Do remember when we had Hogleboom, Pelluer, Steve Walsh, Quency, two baseball players, Leaf, Bledsoe, and other QBs that sucked?

Franchise QBs do n't grow on trees.

Dak overthrows Gallup 2 times a game, that's why many want him gone. But when Romo was throwing his crazy int's (early in his career), wonder how many here wanted him traded so whoever his backup was could be the starter.

glimmerman

Reaction score

Do remember when we had Hogleboom, Pelluer, Steve Walsh, Quency, two baseball players, Leaf, Bledsoe, and other QBs that sucked?

Franchise QBs don't grow on trees.
Thank you.

Flamma

Reaction score
We won't get to revisit the mountain of money we'll guarantee Dak if we sign him long term.

If Dak isn't the guy to lead that run, signing him this year humps a chance at a run at least through the end of his guaranteed money.

With Dak, Garrett, Moore, Marinelli, and Richard at the top, it's just not time to push all our chips into the table for a run. There is plenty team left for a run next year and the next. Let's see the prove it this year, or we can move on from many of them.

Visions of Sean Peyton 2020 dancing in my head. Get Garrett the Game Day Liability off the sidelines, and maybe this team makes a run.

I'd be seriously shopping him too. There are other QBs. Ones you can draft and pay diddley to, and run them like they're RBs.

Another solution on Dak is a 1 year extension at franchise tag price, moving half the money up to this year. Then we play him as a running QB, and see about a run. Dak as a running QB maybe makes a run. Not Dak as a pocket passer, which is what he'll be if we sink 90m gtd into him.

I believe on multiple posts I have already talked about paying him now. I'm not for paying him big this season just in case he flops. If we pay him big now and go 8-8 we're not only screwed that year, but for the life of the contract.

We did not put all of our chips on the table for a run, just certain key pieces for this upcoming season. We have little to zero chance of winning it all if we trade our QB. And certainly not with any of these rookies.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Dak overthrows Gallup 2 times a game, that's why many want him gone. But when Romo was throwing his crazy int's (early in his career), wonder how many here wanted him traded so whoever his backup was could be the starter.
I started watching in other games and I saw rothlessburger miss 2 wide open wr in one game. Switched over and watched brady miss a wide open wr. It happens every game to every qb.

glimmerman

Reaction score
I believe on multiple posts I have already talked about paying him now. I'm not for paying him big this season just in case he flops. If we pay him big now and go 8-8 we're not only screwed that year, but for the life of the contract.

We did not put all of our chips on the table for a run, just certain key pieces for this upcoming season. We have little to zero chance of winning it all if we trade our QB. And certainly not with any of these rookies.
With the price going up every year it will cost us 5 million a year extra if they wait. At least that’s what SJ is thinking. And I kind of agree because to many things around him are going to improve this season. Barring injury he is going to look better than last year. Unless he comes unhinged. Which in his 4th year the game will slow down for him and the reads easier.

Flamma

Reaction score

It's not only that. You're stating the obvious. But what I fail to hear from anyone willing to shop Dak now is, shop him to what team? Dak isn't a piece of precious metal you can pawn off for market value, there has to be a team that needs his services. 95% of the league already have a starting QB. None of them are going to give up multiple premium picks and sign Dak to a monster contract to have him sit on the bench. Maybe next year will be different. Or the year after. But as of right now there are a scant few teams that might be interested.

CB61

Reaction score
After Stephan comments about Dak needing to sign team friendly deal and Dak on record as saying there will be no discount...an impasse is coming. Rather than get into issue of is Dak good or not, what could Cowboy get in trade if long term deal can't be agreed upon.

Note:
Denver received TWO 1st & 3rd for Jay Cutler
Cincy received 1st & 2nd for Carson Palmer
Eagles received 1st & 4th round pick for Sam Bradford.

If your Stephan, what would you need back in trade?

Note: this is not to get into large debate about if Dallas should or shouldn't do this but merely an exercise in what you think his current trade value is.
Interesting idea

Flamma

Reaction score
With the price going up every year it will cost us 5 million a year extra if they wait. At least that’s what SJ is thinking. And I kind of agree because to many things around him are going to improve this season. Barring injury he is going to look better than last year. Unless he comes unhinged. Which in his 4th year the game will slow down for him and the reads easier.

Just my opinion, but I don't care about the price going up. I'd rather pay top dollar for a player I know is worth his weight than risk paying him close to that and have him bust. If we go 8-8 this season he isn't worth 15M a year. I don't want the Cowboys hamstrung with a big contract. I am not willing to take that kind of risk with this specific quarterback. Not yet.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Just my opinion, but I don't care about the price going up. I'd rather pay top dollar for a player I know is worth his weight than risk paying him close to that and have him bust. If we go 8-8 this season he isn't worth 15M a year. I don't want the Cowboys hamstrung with a big contract. I am not willing to take that kind of risk with this specific quarterback. Not yet.
If we go 10-6. Would you sign him then..

Flamma

Reaction score
If we go 10-6. Would you sign him then..

I'll be honest. With our talent I'm looking for a serious run this upcoming season. We haven't been as talented all around since 2007, maybe better. If we go 10-6, squeak by the wildcard round and get tossed in the divisional round I'm looking for a new QB.

glimmerman

Reaction score
I'll be honest. With our talent I'm looking for a serious run this upcoming season. We haven't been as talented all around since 2007, maybe better. If we go 10-6, squeak by the wildcard round and get tossed in the divisional round I'm looking for a new QB.
That’s been happening before Dak got here. I would start looking for a new HC first.

I am not for or against Dak. But playoffs 2 out of 3 years he is here. And one more playoff win and he ties Romos playoff wins in 10 years. But Romo didn’t have the team Dak does all 10 years.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I wish this narrative would go away.

Average WRs
TE on the tail end of his career
An OC that everyone on this forum hates

Or you could say:
One of the best OL in football-
Good receiving corps lead by Dez who still commanded double teams-
Clutch Hall of Fame TE still averaging 9 yards per catch-
League's leading rusher 2 of his first 3 years-
An improving defense-

Garrett has a winning record in 4 of the last 5 years with playoff wins in 3 of those years. So you saying Garrett is a great HC too?

Kevinicus

Reaction score

And because we don't have one, we need to make efforts to find one.

Flamma

Reaction score
That’s been happening before Dak got here. I would start looking for a new HC first.

I am not for or against Dak. But playoffs 2 out of 3 years he is here. And one more playoff win and he ties Romos playoff wins in 10 years. But Romo didn’t have the team Dak does all 10 years.

This isn't about Romo. No matter what you think about Romo and the teams he has had, none were like this one except the 2007 team. And in that year we had two freak teams besides the Cowboys. A 16-0 Patriots team and a team able to beat them! How often do we see that? That 2007 Cowboys team was good enough to win most of the years since then, give or take a few. I'd say that 2007 team could win the SB in every year except 2009 and 2013. This 2019 team should be as every bit as good as 2007. Yes coaching plays a role. I realize that. But I wouldn't be paying a QB based on a coaching change.