Dallas should trade for Clowney

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
If you can get a DT or a S that is better then Clowney, the by all means, go get that guy. If not, then I would give this some consideration. I think Quinn is a short term thing. I think that if he has a good year, he's probably gone next year. If he is just so, so or bad, he's probably next season or the next after that. We still need a guy who can bring it off the edge from the right side. I would seriously consider this. I might consider trading Zeke, assuming there is interest.

DHCBF66

Reaction score
Hear me out and correct me if I’m wrong...

Clowney is in a contract year right?

If we give up a 2nd round pick for him then wouldn’t we receive a compensatory 3rd or 4th rounder back for him?

I think for a 1 year rental having Clowney and DLaw as our D Ends would significantly increase our chance of reaching and winning the Super Bowl.

Even if we need to sweeten the pot with someone like Crawford or whatever I think it’s a deal worth looking at.

Rumors that Philly want him too.

He’s going to be traded so why not go all in with this move?
We have Quinn and Taco is coming on strong, why waste the pick?

AbeBeta

Reaction score

If we give up a 2nd round pick for him then wouldn’t we receive a compensatory 3rd or 4th rounder back for him?

I think for a 1 year rental having Clowney and DLaw as our D Ends would significantly increase our chance of reaching and winning the Super Bowl.

Even if we need to sweeten the pot with someone like Crawford or whatever I think it’s a deal worth looking at.

Yeah. Texas are totally taking a 2nd for him.

Also, he's not coming here and playing on the tag

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score

Because moves like this can put you over the top..

Imagine our front 7 with Clowney.

1 year and get back a compensatory pick.

pugilist

Stick N Move
Reaction score
i think it was very painful for the front office to not have a Round 1 pick during the draft (even though Amari ended up working out).

I don't see them missing out on Round 1 or 2 in the 2020 NFL Draft a second consecutive year

cowboygo

Reaction score

Just imagine the rush with Clowney. The Browns have Garrett & Vernon (two elite ends). Strahan/Umenyiora & Freeney/Mathis & VonMiller/DWare were instrumental in their Super Bowl runs. There are probably more examples but this team would definitely benefit from a monster pass rush. Yes, Giants also had Justin Tuck, but two elite ends would give one on ones inside.

Reid1boys

Reaction score

there is this thing.... its called the salary cap......

CCBoy

Reaction score
Definitely don’t won’t to give up such a high draft pick for a 1 year rental. That’s not good business. And definitely don’t want another player trying to hold us hostage for a longer contract. I’m sick of all these contract negotiations.

Especially considering that already it takes hitting a homerun on a fifth or sixth rounder with normal picks up front, just to maintain a general direction in today's NFL.

quickccc

Reaction score

if i am giving up a very valuable,high draft pick such as a 2nd round pick for Clowney, i'm also re-signing him for the long term. I'm not giving up such a high pick for a 1 year rental.
From what i'm understanding, he didn't take the franchise tag offer from Texans, right ?
So he's under his final contract year ?
though i think he far more fits a 4-3 scheme vs a 3-4 OLB role, i would be more concerned about his injury history.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Some of you guys never want to take a risk to win a title NOW.

There's a fine line between taking a risk and simply making a bad move based on the "one player away" fallacy.

Kaiser

Reaction score
We have Tank, Quinn, and very solid depth. It’s kinda overkill on DE with another one..

Get us a better 1-Tech...

Clowney is good but he had 9 sacks playing opposite JJ Watt. Between Quinn/Taco/Armstrong you can get 9 sacks without giving up a premium pick and a ton of money.

Taco is always an afterthought in these threads but he had three sacks in a half Saturday. If he plays like that in the regular season he could put up 9 sacks by himself. Dorance Armstrong is also a lot better than most posters give him credit for and Quinn has been to two Pro Bowls. We can't get 9 sacks out of those guys for the payroll we already have?

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score

No thanks. Not that you’re wrong. Not that I wouldn’t love having Clowney, but in my opinion we need to pay out to the big three, and drafting well helps to keep this team within cap and youth parameters.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
I have a question:

If he's not reporting under the tag to the Texans, why would he play under it for another team?

There are reports that he's not going to holdout into the regular season, but who really knows?

Reid1boys

Reaction score
There's a fine line between taking a risk and simply making a bad move based on the "one player away" fallacy.
I wonder if the 92 team would have one without ONE player that came to the party late via trade?