Signed by Cowboys Dallas signs RB Ronald Jones

Cowboys22

Reaction score
signing two backs in one day makes me think there is some worry about TP not being ready to start the season.
Just stop! They are filling out the depth chart for camp so they feel better passing up a RB in the 1st and 2nd round in order to address higher needs.

Ken

Reaction score
Why he sucks? Stop signing unnecessary players. Draft a rb
He is your Zeke if you don't find one in the draft. Probably a better short runner than him too.

Converted 25 of 27 tries in 2020 for first under 3 yards.

Played big in super bowl.

He is a great signing.

garyv

Reaction score

I love the signing but do expect Dallas to draft a RB. I see this as Malik will probably end up on prectice squad.
I think Rookie RB, Pollard and Jones as the three on final roster. The nice thing about getting Jones too is the
fact if Pollard has something go wrong than you are fine with Ronald Jones. Nice Depth.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Jones is a classic washed up RB. Probably super cheap and probably doesn't make it through training camp on this roster.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
For those bragging about what Jones did back in 2020, his total stats for the last 2 years: 118 carries 498 yards 5 td's

He played in only 5 of 17 regular season games in '22 ( he was inactive the first 10 games because he couldn't crack the roster) and 15 of 17 games in '21....and of the 20 of 34 games played the last 2 seasons he only had 1 occasion where he carried for more than 10 carries in a game, 3 games where he carried exactly 10 times, and the rest of the games was between 0-9 carries.....

So I am at a loss why Dallas signed this guy yet refused to sign D'Onta Foreman who has had 2 good last 2 seasons and signed for only $3M.
The reason that I'm happy about this is because I see it as similar to when we signed Alfred Morris. He wasn't what he once was, but he was brilliant in a rotation. Especially in short yardage. I expect we will probably be getting Bijan Robinson or Tank Bigsby, but he can help the rookie ease in, and learn. One other thing to note, the Cowboys typically tip their hand a bit as to what position they're going for with the FAs we sign. So, we've gone oline and RB. This tells me that we are likely going to be going oline and running back. If that remains the case, then I think it is safe to say that we will likely be seeing Bijan or Bigsby drafted. If that's the case, then it makes even more sense that we have Jones as a Morris-type back.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
Terrible signing. This dude has been washed these last few years
How is it terrible? He's here on a one year deal to be a backup. Not a savior. And how can a guy with just 505 career carries be washed? From what I have read from Chiefs sources he was lauded for being a team player when the RB room there got crowded and he didn't see much action. Nobody knew Isiah Pacheco would be such a weapon for Kansas City so they moved on.

GuitarBytes

Reaction score
Good hire, he has the potential to bring the same potential as Zeke in his best years only much cheaper.
I don't understand people who want a RB to be selected in the first round; I think there should be other priorities like OL and DL, that can be covered with the first and second round, there are many RBs in this draft and easily from the 4th pick onwards you can select a good one, it is not necessary to spend high picks on a RB, there are very few good DL and OG.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
Some people just want to be negative when there is no reason to be. Ronald Jones is here to compete to be a backup. B-a-c-k-u-p. On a one year deal.

If he stinks he's gone. Personally I am excited to see the Cowboys give a player that was once highly regarded a chance when he was stuck in crowded RB rooms in both Tampa and KC.

This is a low risk, high reward pickup.

fivetwos

Reaction score
I chalk it up to the Chiefs having the foresight to have several good backs.
We need to do the same. Need four solid guys. We should have about three. If the draft nets two rookies, then Malik Davis needs to bring it to stick around.

But yeah, a pair of fresh legged rooks, plus Pollard and Jones. I can live with that.

The Quest for Six

Reaction score
How is it terrible? He's here on a one year deal to be a backup. Not a savior. And how can a guy with just 505 career carries be washed? From what I have read from Chiefs sources he was lauded for being a team player when the RB room there got crowded and he didn't see much action. Nobody knew Isiah Pacheco would be such a weapon for Kansas City so they moved on.
Some people ***** and whine no matter what, I like this signing, 25 years old, a lot of tread on the tires, has a burst and hits the hole hard.....one year prove it deal and protects Dallas from spending an early draft pick on a running back

wecasa

Reaction score
kc didn't use Rojo for a variety of reasons. The backs they had fit the system better. 7th round Pacheco stood out the most. Rojo is a liability in the pass game, stone hands and doesn't block well. So, I guess, for what it's worth, good signing...not.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
Good hire, he has the potential to bring the same potential as Zeke in his best years only much cheaper.
I don't understand people who want a RB to be selected in the first round; I think there should be other priorities like OL and DL, that can be covered with the first and second round, there are many RBs in this draft and easily from the 4th pick onwards you can select a good one, it is not necessary to spend high picks on a RB, there are very few good DL and OG.

TE shouldn't be either

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We need to do the same. Need four solid guys. We should have about three. If the draft nets two rookies, then Malik Davis needs to bring it to stick around.

But yeah, a pair of fresh legged rooks, plus Pollard and Jones. I can live with that.
I wonder if they would carry four running backs?

Maybe three and a fullback?

Or stash that fourth running back on the practice squad?