Signed by Cowboys Dallas signs RB Ronald Jones

Rayman70

Reaction score
He’s 25 with two superbowl rings and lots of tread on the tires. Maybe he is a good luck charm. Probably won’t cost more than 1.5 million range.
I agree. The guy just might give us a decent rb rotation and he has decent pass protection skills.He protected Brady well when they won a ring.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Those hyping up Ronald Jones are badly misguided. He is slower than Zeke! Ugh.
He is way more productive than Zeke,

He has averaged 4.22 yds per carry where Zeke averaged 3.8 yds per carry last year and in the San Francisco playoff game Zeke averaged 2.6.

Any way you slice it, he is an upgrade over Zeke...................Now I am still drafting Bijan at 26 if he is still there, but if we miss out on a RB the position is still upgraded with Jones as compared to Zeke.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
He is way more productive than Zeke,

He has averaged 4.22 yds per carry where Zeke averaged 3.8 yds per carry last year and in the San Francisco playoff game Zeke averaged 2.6.

Any way you slice it, he is an upgrade over Zeke...................Now I am still drafting Bijan at 26 if he is still there, but if we miss out on a RB the position is still upgraded with Jones as compared to Zeke.
I wouldn't go that far. Jones' role was more like Hambrick's when fans were declaring him better than Emmitt. Backups with fewer carries that defenses don't spend a lot of time studying should perform well if they are any good. The positive with Jones is when he did have a more prominent role with Tampa Bay, he did well with it, averaging 5.1 per carry. However, he did end up with reduced roles the past two seasons, so I'm not ready to say he's an upgrade. He might be, but Elliott did the ugly things well, such as short-yardage runs, for most of the season and was a good tandem back with Pollard for most of the season. I won't be surprised if we're worse off if Jones is our only RB addition. I will be surprised if Jones is our only RB addition.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
I wouldn't go that far. Jones' role was more like Hambrick's when fans were declaring him better than Emmitt. Backups with fewer carries that defenses don't spend a lot of time studying should perform well if they are any good. The positive with Jones is when he did have a more prominent role with Tampa Bay, he did well with it, averaging 5.1 per carry. However, he did end up with reduced roles the past two seasons, so I'm not ready to say he's an upgrade. He might be, but Elliott did the ugly things well, such as short-yardage runs, for most of the season and was a good tandem back with Pollard for most of the season. I won't be surprised if we're worse off if Jones is our only RB addition. I will be surprised if Jones is our only RB addition.
I respect your opinion my friend, always good to have a discussion, but I just dont see how he is not an upgrade over Zeke.

Zeke averaged 2.4 yds per carry in the playoffs last season....................It is almost impossible for any RB to be worse than that.

Zeke has no speed, no agility, no quickness, cant make cuts, cant break tackles, he literally just takes the handoff and falls forward for 2 yds. He is nothing but a glorified FB at this point in his career. Its sucks, I like Zeke, but when a RB hits the proverbial wall its over. There is a reason he has had no offers in free agency, other teams watch tape and see that same thing.

Now I am still drafting a RB if I have the opportunity, but at least I am not forced to pick a RB out of need because I know I can at least get by with this guy paired with Pollard.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I respect your opinion my friend, always good to have a discussion, but I just dont see how he is not an upgrade over Zeke.

Zeke averaged 2.4 yds per carry in the playoffs last season....................It is almost impossible for any RB to be worse than that.

Zeke has no speed, no agility, no quickness, cant make cuts, cant break tackles, he literally just takes the handoff and falls forward for 2 yds. He is nothing but a glorified FB at this point in his career. Its sucks, I like Zeke, but when a RB hits the proverbial wall its over. There is a reason he has had no offers in free agency, other teams watch tape and see that same thing.

Now I am still drafting a RB if I have the opportunity, but at least I am not forced to pick a RB out of need because I know I can at least get by with this guy paired with Pollard.
Jones averaged 0 YPC in the playoffs last year. He only received one carry.

Elliott was done last year by the time the playoffs rolled around. In fact, he was done right about the time that Pollard got sidelined by injury leading up to the playoffs. Elliott had his own injuries (which are a sign of his decline the past two seasons) and couldn't carry the load anymore.

However, for the majority of the season, he was part of a very good 1-2 punch. We have no idea if Jones could/will be part of a very good 1-2 punch at all here. He had one great year and the next two years his carries were very limited for whatever reason. I agree with you that Jones probably could give us what an beaten-up Elliott gave us against San Francisco, maybe even what he gave us in the games where Pollard also was injured during the end of the regular season, but I have no idea if he could give us what Elliott did before that.

Could Jones score a TD in nine games in a row? Could he rush for 5.8 YPC in a crucial eight-point victory over the Giants? How about 6.2 to help keep the game close against Philly when we were without our starting QB?

I think too many look at the finished Elliott at the end of last season and translate that to what we got from him the rest of the season. It wasn't. There was a point last year where he almost could not be stopped on short-yardage plays. That has value and isn't necessarily going to be easy to replicate.

Elliott had to go because he was making far too much for his role on the team now. He had to go because that wall he hit near the end of the season, the one where injuries often start cropping up, might be hit much earlier in the season. But we don't need to pretend that our success running the ball for most of the season wasn't partly due to him. Could we have better success with Jones or another back? There's certainly room for that, but there's also room to be worse.

plasticman

Reaction score
Jones is being brought in to compete, I predict he will get stiff competition from a draft pick.

robertfchew

Reaction score
I will refrain from saying anything bad cause they did good with the ty Hilton signing last year and I thought he was gonna be a bum.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
Jones, Dowdle, Davis, still does not make up the loss for Zeke. :popcorn:
But are a heck of a lot cheaper. So many will be happy. But can they get 12 TD”s.
Unless they do something else at RB, this equates to 3 less wins So far.

Don’t take this so seriously… better say that before any missiles fly. :muttley:
Yeah, Zeke was worth three wins. Sure...

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
I think around here we're not satisfied unless a back is averaging 5 yards per carry and carrying the ball 300 times per season. This isn't like signing Darren McFadden in 2015. Jones is here to either split the load with Pollard or be the nuclear option if Pollard doesn't come off his injury well or any back we draft doesn't prove ready to contribute. Not saying it's a great signing, just that I see no reason to complain about it. It would be different if we were needing a bell-cow back, but that's not the expectation. Now, the expectation could be wrong, but that's why we hopefully get a back in the first-third rounds of the draft.
We're not satisfied with players who hold out for top money then give performance well below that. We are funny like that I guess.

The Quest for Six

Reaction score
We should trade our 1st 2nd and 3rd round picks for all the 4th round picks we can get and never draft any player above the 4th round. That is a Superbowl winning formula if I ever seen one
Seems to be only your theory..

LittleD

Reaction score
Now is the right time to pull the franchise tag on Pollard. No RB is getting big money this year. Even Eckler can't get more than 6.5million and he's better than Pollard. Dallas should have
put the transition tag on Pollard but, the FO loves to spend money they don't have to.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Now is the right time to pull the franchise tag on Pollard. No RB is getting big money this year. Even Eckler can't get more than 6.5million and he's better than Pollard. Dallas should have
put the transition tag on Pollard but, the FO loves to spend money they don't have to.
Jerry tagged Tony because he is betting Tony will recover from the freak injury.

Most teams will not.

Also, it is a form of charity and reward.

If Tony doesn’t recover, at least he has the 10 million.