Dallas vs. Miami... Who wins the NBA Finals? (Heat wins series 4-2)

BlueStar22

Reaction score
mickgreen58 said:
Dewayne Wade is very turnover prone as his career numbers will tell you that and it has been heavily discussed throughout the series. He even hit a three, which the announcers pointed out that he only made 12 the entire season. Also he didnt get called for a technical last night (Game 2 he did), that was Gary Payton.

He was spectacular and I have a hard time believing the guy can play any better then what he did.

Haslem, Shaq, and Wade having Monster Games. Shaq hitting free throws. Gary Payton hitting a big shot :eek: . This was the Heats best effort and the Mavs still could have sent it into overtime.

We lost but I wont get worried until the series is tied.

- Mike G.
series will be over Sunday. The heat played their best ball and still had to have Wade pull on out of his *** to win. A few questionable non-calls and Mavs win this game. However, it should not have come to depending on them to make the right calls.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
BlueStar22 said:
series will be over Sunday. The heat played their best ball and still had to have Wade pull on out of his *** to win. A few questionable non-calls and Mavs win this game. However, it should not have come to depending on them to make the right calls.

I hope so and I have no problem with how the game was called referee-wise.

Dirk missed two free throws in a row (2nd quater I believe) and missed a crucial one to even the game up in the 4th Quarter. Terry made 2 extremely foolish plays back to back. Telegraphing his past and having it stolen and then jacked up a quick shot on the next trip down. The two guys we live and die with, Terry and Dirk didnt come through for us last night when it counted.

- Mike G.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
mickgreen58 said:
Dewayne Wade is very turnover prone as his career numbers will tell you that and it has been heavily discussed throughout the series. He even hit a three, which the announcers pointed out that he only made 12 the entire season. Also he didnt get called for a technical last night (Game 2 he did), that was Gary Payton.

He was spectacular and I have a hard time believing the guy can play any better then what he did.

Haslem, Shaq, and Wade having Monster Games. Shaq hitting free throws. Gary Payton hitting a big shot :eek: . This was the Heats best effort and the Mavs still could have sent it into overtime.

We lost but I wont get worried until the series is tied.

- Mike G.
For some reason, I thought he got T'd up last night. My bad. I'm really not dissing Wade's play. It's just that during the first half, and for much of this series, Wade looked out of synch. And I hate silly turnovers. But I give it up to him and the Heat for pulling it together in the 2nd half.

This was a Heats game, through and through. They don't have the same flow as the Mavs, but I've watched them throughout the playoffs and this is how they play. Ugly, but effective down the stretch.

And for some reason, Dallas got caught up in the Heat's run. They want to win, they've got to withstand the Heat's runs.

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
Sad state of affairs when Shaq is more "clutch" from the foul line than Dirk. :lmao2:

It still seems like Dallas in well in control of this series, but ole Dirk better hope that choked free throw doesn't come back to haunt him.

BlueStar22

Reaction score
mickgreen58 said:
I hope so and I have no problem with how the game was called referee-wise.

Dirk missed two free throws in a row (2nd quater I believe) and missed a crucial one to even the game up in the 4th Quarter. Terry made 2 extremely foolish plays back to back. Telegraphing his past and having it stolen and then jacked up a quick shot on the next trip down. The two guys we live and die with, Terry and Dirk didnt come through for us last night when it counted.

- Mike G.
Losses like last nite happen when you into the "Prevent Defense" with 6 minutes to play. As far as the calls, I didn't like that first charge that Shaq drew. Shaq flopped like Ginobili last nite. Also, down the stretch, that push in the back on Dampier on the rebound was not called. ABC didn't give us a good angle but it was enough to see Damp moving to the right after he jumped for the ball. If you watch the replay, Payton clearly travelled on that last shot. I'm not blaming the refs as we should not've gone into the Prevent. I'm not blaming Dirk for the missed freethrow either. He looked comfortable at the line and it just rolled out. He usually gets the roll but not this time. I agree though, Terry had a bad game and Dirk needs to get out of the gate better. Hell, the whole team needs to start better. Dirk needs the ball closer to the basket. The Heat got lucky. There's no other way for me to look at it.

Can Keith Van Suck suck any more? He has been HORRIBLE!!!!

BlueStar22

Reaction score
Danny White said:
Sad state of affairs when Shaq is more "clutch" from the foul line than Dirk. :lmao2:

It still seems like Dallas in well in control of this series, but ole Dirk better hope that choked free throw doesn't come back to haunt him.
Like I said, he looked comfortable at the line. We all thought he would be money. The ball rolled out. Tough break. I was hoping for OT as I'm confident we would've taken them in O.T.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
BlueStar22 said:
Losses like last nite happen when you into the "Prevent Defense" with 6 minutes to play. As far as the calls, I didn't like that first charge that Shaq drew. Shaq flopped like Ginobili last nite. Also, down the stretch, that push in the back on Dampier on the rebound was not called. ABC didn't give us a good angle but it was enough to see Damp moving to the right after he jumped for the ball. If you watch the replay, Payton clearly travelled on that last shot. I'm not blaming the refs as we should not've gone into the Prevent. I'm not blaming Dirk for the missed freethrow either. He looked comfortable at the line and it just rolled out. He usually gets the roll but not this time. I agree though, Terry had a bad game and Dirk needs to get out of the gate better. Hell, the whole team needs to start better. Dirk needs the ball closer to the basket. The Heat got lucky. There's no other way for me to look at it.

Can Keith Van Suck suck any more? He has been HORRIBLE!!!!

Yes. I have no idea why he or Marquese Daniels even play in the series. Keith Van Horn would be fine if he would just take the open look but when he starts trying to drive to the basket, that is where he gets into trouble.

The only questionable call I saw was when Damp was guarding Shaq, Shaq pushed Damp out of the way and then Damp goes up to block the shot, and gets called for the foul.

But I like how the game was officiated. What can you ask for more than having your best player on the Free Throw Line with 3.7 seconds left shooting 2 free shots!!!

Im also PO'ed that the Dallas Mourning News put the Parade plans on the front page of their website yesterday. We have only won 2 games and they are already posting it on their webpage. If we lose the series, that article will be the main reason we have egg on our faces.

TheKey

Faster than Felix
Reaction score
We will be OK, no way D-Wade scores 42 again, and with him doing that and an off night for Terry, they still only one by 2

TheKey

Faster than Felix
Reaction score
Edit, i ment to type won, not one.

And who else is sick of shaqs elbows?

YAY 1000!!!!

miamicowboy21

Reaction score
The mavs are still in the driver's seat. It took an herculian effort by wade just for miami to squeak out a 2pt victory. Miami's is still having problems containing dribble penetration, and the mavs bench still has a huge advantage over miami. I was astonished that avery didnt double team wade more down the strecth, especially when it was apparent that the heat's season rested on his shoulders. If miami had won convincingly then my opinion might be swayed, but the mavs were right their with a chance to deliever the knockout punch.

The mavs come out strong and win game 4.

Mavs Man

All outta bubble gum
Reaction score
If Miami had lost Game 3 this series would have been basically over.

Frankly, I would have been surprised if Miami hadn't won.

Star Struck

Reaction score
I think the Mavs realized what they need to do and will take the next two. No more messin' around! :)

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Win or lose, this is the Heat team I've been used to seeing in the playoffs. Not the ones who showed up in the first two games.

In the first half, Dallas' shots just weren't falling. Both teams seemed to be about even as far as the hustle factor is concerned.

2nd half should definitely be interesting, cuz the Mavs are still in it, even tho the Heat are clicking right now.

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
Ugh, this game is awful... There's still time, but the Mavs can't buy a bucket. And the Heat can do no wrong... apparently. Heat up by 19, 4 minutes left in the 3rd quarter. Maybe we can return the favor from last night.

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
Hmmmmm... we got a series all the sudden!

I think Dallas is in trouble now. Wade is playing head-and-shoulders like the best player on the floor... even injured.

If Miami wins game 5, which I think they will now, then the pucker factor for Dallas in game 6 will be HUGE.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Star search for Dallas

By Marc Stein, ESPN.com

MIAMI -- Looks like somebody got it half-right.

Remember when I wrote that Dwyane Wade (sprained knee) would be fine and that the Dallas Mavericks (shaken confidence) would be fine, too?

Well . . .

Wade, as promised, is better than fine.

The Mavs?

They're suddenly facing a long wait until Sunday night to prove me all the way right.

The Mavs' lead is gone in these NBA Finals, erased by Miami's 98-74 hammering in Game 4, and they might actually have a bigger problem than a series scoreline that will be viewed in many precincts as a 2-2 deficit.

That problem: Dallas' stars have gone missing, too.

Regrets about their failure to close out an all-but-iced Game 3 and concerns about what that might to do the Mavs' collective psyche Thursday night have been replaced by a flurry of worries about what happens from here, after a Heat beatdown that oozed confidence and physicality from the home team.

Four games into the Finals, Dallas is still waiting to see the Dirk Nowitzki who dominated the Western Conference playoffs. Nowitzki is shooting 36 percent from the floor in this series, after a 2-for-14 struggle made twice as confounding because Udonis Haslem -- Miami's best Dirk defender -- was limited to 18 minutes because of foul trouble.

Four games into the Finals, Dallas also has a slumping Josh Howard to reignite. The Mavs' collapse Tuesday night was the first time all season that they lost a game in which Howard reached the 20-point plateau, but he went scoreless in that fatal fourth quarter and followed it with a Game 4 no-show . . . just three points on 1-for-8 shooting.

Four games into the Finals, Dallas can't spend too much time fretting about the most meager quarter in Finals history -- a mere seven points in the fourth quarter -- when it first must reconcile what happened in the opening quarter.
That's when Shaquille O'Neal went to the bench with two fouls and the Mavs -- who, incidentally, have yet to score 100 points in these Finals -- fell behind for good.

"It's a different series right now," Shaq says.

It's a series turned upside-down, first by the combination of Miami's Wade-led resurrection and Dallas' epic collapse and now by a Heat rout in which the Mavs did maybe one thing in 48 minutes to placate a coach who was counting on much more.

That would be the jaw-dropping takedown with Dallas trailing by 17 points in the third quarter: Stack tackling Shaq.

Otherwise?

Besides Jerry Stackhouse reinforcing his rep as maybe the most fearless Mav ever?

"They are beating us to the punch," Avery Johnson said.

And?

"They are just one step quicker," Johnson said. "This is two games in a row where we haven't had anybody [in] double-figure rebounding."

These are painful admissions for the Mavs' boss, who was convinced -- as I was -- that his guys would respond to that 13-point blown lead in Game 3 like they did several times in the San Antonio series.

Or like Wade does when he's banged up: 36 points' worth of feeling fine.
Johnson believed it most about Nowitzki, who was naturally desperate to atone more than any other Mav after missing a Game 3 free throw that could have forced OT. Instead he had a handful of good looks to go with the tough ones and missed almost everything short.

"They are putting a blanket over him," Johnson said. "He's going to have to get that blanket off."

Yet it wasn't just Nowitzki. This was a teamwide non-response from the Mavs, who also appear to have revved up Wade more than ever.

"I think they said I can't shoot," Wade offered when asked if the Mavs gave him too much room on the perimeter. "Why would they contest my shots? I can't shoot."

It was also relayed to Wade, in his postgame press briefing, that a Mav or two questioned the severity of the injury.

"We could care less what they say and they could care less what we say," Wade said. "Everybody knows I don't fake. If I'm hurt, I'm hurt. Y'all have seen me. I don't have to fake."

The only solace for Dallas is that, Johnson aside, none of Wade's victims have to say anything Friday. Instead of the usual two days of media grilling that the Mavs would have faced before Sunday's Game 5, league officials have decreed that the players from both teams don't have to take questions until Saturday.

Questions like the one Johnson got about whether the Mavs are still stuck on the 3-0 lead they didn't take.

"I don't know about 'not recovered,' " Johnson said. "This is a mentally tough team that we have here. You're talking about the same team that won Game 7 in San Antonio against a world champion.

"Why don't you just give Miami credit for playing some (great) defense?"

Marc Stein is the senior NBA writer for ESPN.com. To e-mail him, click here.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Stack Foul Scrutiny

The NBA is going to take another look at Jerry Stackhouse's flagrant foul against Shaquille O'Neal, which means there's no guarantee Stack will be in uniform for Game 5.

It might seem unlikely he'll be suspended, but it's not out of the question.

Though O'Neal simply laughed the foul off by saying his daughters hit harder, the foul certainly seemed to fit the rule-book definition of a flagrant foul-category 2, which states such a foul to be unnecessary and excessive (as opposed to a category-1 flagrant, which is merely unnecessary).

"All flagrants are reviewed, and this case is no different," said NBA vice president Stu Jackson, who has the discretion to suspend Stackhouse or not suspend him for Game 5 if he indeed reclassifies the foul as a category 2.

Throwing a punch brings an automatic suspension (just ask Jason Terry, who sat out Game 6 against San Antonio for taking a swing at Michael Finley), but committing a flagrant-category 2 does not bring a suspension unless Jackson feels one is merited.

Stackhouse's flagrant foul came after Jason Williams stole the ball and was going in uncontested but saw O'Neal trailing close behind. He passed the ball to Shaq, and Stackhouse came across the lane and raked O'Neal across the upper chest and face, knocking him hard to the floor.

Antoine Walker picked up a technical for going after Stackhouse, and Stackhouse got to shoot that technical free throw when the referees decided against calling a flagrant-penalty 2 foul against him, which would have brought an automatic ejection. But after Stackhouse made his shot, O'Neal went to the line and knocked down both of his to get the lead up to 20, 72-52.

"My impression was my daughters tackle me harder when I come home," O'Neal said. "You know, I'm one of the last players from the old school, and you know, you just have to take a hard foul like that and keep on moving. It actually felt pretty good to get hit like that. Thank you, Jerry, I appreciate it."

Said Stackhouse: "It was a hard foul. I mean, he was going to the basket. In fact, when Shaq is going to the basket, we want to make him go to the free throw line and earn it."

The situation could have gotten out of control after the foul was committed, with Heat coach Pat Riley running onto the floor and into the fray, and Walker going after Stackhouse.

"You've got heroes like Antoine Walker coming up feeling like he's got to say something. For what? He hasn't fought one time in this league," Dallas' Darrell Armstrong said. "All of the sudden you're getting brave?"

But the referees separated the teams, and nothing ever escalated.

And unless Jackson comes down extra hard on Stackhouse, this flagrant foul won't be escalated in severity. The tricky thing is, however, that there's really no telling what Jackson will do.
-- Chris Sheridan at AmericanAirlines Arena in Miami

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
mickgreen58 said:
Yeah we get it Woody's Girl, you hate the Mavericks :cool: .

- Mike G.
Aww don't be like that Mike. Cuz that wasn't my point. I was just posting the daily dime and what the ESPN guys were saying. Because, even tho they're saying Miami did a great job, the Dime seemed to point out what I was thinking, as well. Dallas shots just weren't falling. They got alot of open shots, but they weren't going in. Wide open shots, they were hitting in the other games, weren't falling. Mavs aren't gonna cave in, just cuz the Heat took them behind the woodshed yesterday. The Heat didn't after Sun. performance.

BTW, I don't hate the Mavs. They're just third on my Texas teams, because I've never been a fan of them.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
WoodysGirl said:
Aww don't be like that Mike. Cuz that wasn't my point. I was just posting the daily dime and what the ESPN guys were saying. Because, even tho they're saying Miami did a great job, the Dime seemed to point out what I was thinking, as well. Dallas shots just weren't falling. They got alot of open shots, but they weren't going in. Wide open shots, they were hitting in the other games, weren't falling. Mavs aren't gonna cave in, just cuz the Heat took them behind the woodshed yesterday. The Heat didn't after Sun. performance.

BTW, I don't hate the Mavs. They're just third on my Texas teams, because I've never been a fan of them.

True. But you gotta admit you are loving this :). Also, the Dallas Mourning News had the Parade plans on the front page Monday and now the series is tied. If the Mavs lose, that article alone will be the reason the city has egg on their face.

- Mike G.