Dallas will not select a QB at no 4.

waving monkey

Reaction score
Highly doubtful both will be gone, just look at the first three picks..........

Tennessee........the have Marcus Marriotta, so they are not taking a QB, most likely they are taking the OT from Ole Miss.
Browns..............might take a QB here.
Chargers...........they have Phillup Rivers, so they are not going to be taking a QB either.

The most likely scenario is that we get the leftovers between Goff and Lynch..........whoever Cleveland doesn't pick will be available for us.

So you think Tenn will not be open to a trade I think SF trades up.for Goff
Browns I'm thinking will take a QB IMO
So the first two picks go QB but i realize thats speculation.

pjtoadie

Well known member
Reaction score
So you think Tenn will not be open to a trade I think SF trades up.for Goff
Browns I'm thinking will take a QB IMO
So the first two picks go QB but i realize thats speculation.

I don't see SF trading up from #7 to #1. Now if Cleveland takes Lynch or Bosa then I wouldn't be surprised at all if they tried to make a trade with SD for #3.

The Natural

Reaction score
Nor should they. I'm of the mindset that drafting a player in the first round to sit for a few years is a luxury for good teams, something we're not. Drafting in the top 5, we need to get a Day 1 starter.

Sydla

Reaction score
Those weren't RGIII's relatives and Cleveland fired their coach and their GM so I'm thinking they are probably planning on rolling with JF.

The owner doesn't appear to have the same boner Jones does for Manziel. Manziel blew off a team doctor appointment this weekend and the owner confirmed it.

Killerinstinct

Reaction score
Nor should they. I'm of the mindset that drafting a player in the first round to sit for a few years is a luxury for good teams, something we're not. Drafting in the top 5, we need to get a Day 1 starter.

Absofreakinglutely. Let the browns and other perennial losers draft another QB just to release him a couple of years later because they never fixed the supporting cast. Football is not all about the QB's. The one thing I am dreading during this offseason is the non stop talk about the QB's in the media. Months of Goff Lynch talk. Then the media will build up another QB to can't miss status. Then when that third QB falls in the draft it will be the story of the draft with him sitting there for hours and not getting picked. It is the same tired routine every year. A Top 10 board that moves around a little every week when there are hundreds of players that need to be talked about and team needs need to be addressed. It is about building a team. Not just QB's. Let ESPN talk non stop about Goff and Lynch and at least on this site we can have intelligent conversations about the entire team and the best way to address all of the needs. We need at least 2 linebackers, We need a Strong Safety, we need 2 cornerbacks, we need a RT, We need a no 2 receiver, we need a backup RB and future starter, If Leary and Bernie leave we need backup Guards and a backup Center. Let's not waste all of our time on Goff and Lynch. Neither of which is going to help this team any time soon. If we are going to go from 12-4 to 4-12 and back to 12-4 it wont be because of some backup QB that we gave our highest pick in 25 years for.

Sydla

Reaction score
Highly doubtful both will be gone, just look at the first three picks..........

Tennessee........the have Marcus Marriotta, so they are not taking a QB, most likely they are taking the OT from Ole Miss.
Browns..............might take a QB here.
Chargers...........they have Phillup Rivers, so they are not going to be taking a QB either.

The most likely scenario is that we get the leftovers between Goff and Lynch..........whoever Cleveland doesn't pick will be available for us.

The Chargers could take a QB. Rivers is 34. So they could do what Dallas is doing and take a QB to sit behind Rivers for a few years.

btcutter

Reaction score
"Honest I cannot recall a young gun who was let go and have major success later"

Carson Palmer might win the superbowl this year. He is playing on his third team. Their last good qb was one that they didn't draft either. The same go's with the Rams. Kurt Warner was a hell of a lot better than Sam Bradford. Bradford the vaunted 1st pick in the draft QB and Warner the arena league grocery packer.

"I ask myself this: Would I miss an "Aikman" more even if I have to wait a year vs having a "Deion" CB from the get go?

Personally I take an "Aikman" every time."

I would take Aikman too. The problem is he is not available in this draft.

Carson isn't a young gun. Neither was Warner. Neither Rams nor Bengal would have left them go if they were in their prime.

Again we have to trust the scouting department. If they believe one of the QBs available at time of our pick is worthy then it's like forgoing the opportunity to pick "Aikman". In this draft there is no "Deion" or "Petersons" either. It's all about how well we scout.

Don't reach but all else being close to equal, QB is more important IMO.

waving monkey

Reaction score
Nor should they. I'm of the mindset that drafting a player in the first round to sit for a few years is a luxury for good teams, something we're not. Drafting in the top 5, we need to get a Day 1 starter.[/q

they would be foolish to pass on a great QB for a great [let's say] CB

Killerinstinct

Reaction score
Carson isn't a young gun. Neither was Warner. Neither Rams nor Bengal would have left them go if they were in their prime.

Again we have to trust the scouting department. If they believe one of the QBs available at time of our pick is worthy then it's like forgoing the opportunity to pick "Aikman". In this draft there is no "Deion" or "Petersons" either. It's all about how well we scout.

Don't reach but all else being close to equal, QB is more important IMO.

They were when they were first available. You can add Brees to the list too.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
I agree, as we stand here today. Obviously things will change a bunch over the next 4 months, but right now I believe the Boys will take a player at 4 who can immediately contribute, likely a defensive player. They will only take a QB possibly in a trade down or in a later round.

Let's revisit this in 3 months or after the combine. Everyone's top 10 and perhaps top 5 will have a different look.

btcutter

Reaction score
They were when they were first available. You can add Brees to the list too.

Brees off major shoulder injury. Miami didn't want him. Chargers had Rivers in the wings.
Warner was a case off. He was awful as a NY Giant if you remember then left for dead until AZ picked him up as a back up who was forced to start after injury to the starter.

Palmer wanted a huge contract that Bengal wasn't willing to give. Finally traded not let go. Last year no trade market for RGIII of Kapernick.

I think you have very selective memory about these "Young guns"...they were older and off injuries.

Dodger12

Reaction score
Thanks for your opinion but we will see in a couple of years how great they are. Goff and Lynch the greatest qb prospects of all time. LOL! I think Goff has a decent chance but Lynch has bust written all over him and I don't mean stuck in a bad situation bust like Manziel but just can't get tt done bust.

Not to mention having to use your highest pick since the first year of ownsership on him when there are so many prospects that can help the team NOW. UGHHH. NO WAY!

Is that you Johnny?

Dodger12

Reaction score
Absofreakinglutely. Let the browns and other perennial losers draft another QB just to release him a couple of years later because they never fixed the supporting cast. Football is not all about the QB's.

This is a lot of baloney. So Weeden and Manziel failed because they lacked a supporting cast? The NFL is all about the QB. It's everything. It's really the only thing. Look at who's in the playoffs and the one common theme is that those teams have a franchise QB. The only exception may be Minny.

Killerinstinct

Reaction score
This is a lot of baloney. So Weeden and Manziel failed because they lacked a supporting cast? The NFL is all about the QB. It's everything. It's really the only thing. Look at who's in the playoffs and the one common theme is that those teams have a franchise QB. The only exception may be Minny.

The baloney is your belief that you have to have a top 4 QB pick to make the playoffs.

Broncos Osweiller Late 1st
Patriots - Brady 6th rd
Steelers - Ben Mid 1st
Bengals - Dalton 2nd
Chiefs - Smith early first but went to KC in a trade
Texans - Don't even know but not a top 4 pick

Panthers - Early 1st
Arizona - Via Trade or FA
Seahawks - 3rd rd
Vikings - Late 1st
Packers - late 1st
Commanders - 4th

Only one team in the playoff is being quarterbacked by an early 1st rd pick that they originally drafted. I should add that I bet the Chiefs are glad that SF gave up on Smith and The Cardinals are glad the Raiders were willing to let Palmer go. Yes surrounding cast matters.

Last edited:

FLCowboyFan

Hoping to be half the man Tom Landry was.
Reaction score
Well I listed 13 holes that needed to be filled and you think they are going to spend the highest pick they have had since they bought the team on a back up QB? How much do you want to bet?

Did you watch the games this year? The front office believes that the QB was the reason it all feel apart. You may be right but you may be wrong. Either way they are focused on the QB and if they think Moore and either RG3 or Money Manziel are the answers then I'd be shocked

FLCowboyFan

Hoping to be half the man Tom Landry was.
Reaction score
The baloney is your belief that you have to have a top 4 QB pick to make the playoffs.

Broncos Osweiller Late 1st
Patriots - Brady 6th rd
Steelers - Ben Mid 1st
Bengals - Dalton 2nd
Chiefs - Smith early first but went to KC in a trade
Texans - Don't even know but not a top 4 pick

Panthers - Early 1st
Arizona - Via Trade or FA
Seahawks - 3rd rd
Vikings - Late 1st
Packers - late 1st
Commanders - 4th

Only one team in the playoff is being quarterbacked by an early 1st rd pick that they originally drafted. I should add that I bet the Chiefs are glad that SF gave up on Smith and The Cardinals are glad the Raiders were willing to let Palmer go. Yes surrounding cast matters.

That said you are under selling some of these QB's. Sure they weren't all top 4 but they were mostly 1st round even if it was for a previous team. Let's go through them

Cam Newton - first pick in the entire draft
Andy Dalton - 3rd pick in the second round
Big Ben - pick 11 in the entire draft
Alex Smith - first pick in the entire draft
Carson Palmer - first pick in the entire draft
Teddy Bridgewater - last pick first round
Aaron Rogers - 24th pick in first round
Brock O - you had this wrong....he is actually 52nd pick in 2nd round

Basically there are 3 QB's that aren't first or second round talents. I get that you don't need to draft one in top 4 but hoping for a Brady or Romo is not a solid plan. Heck even with Brady they had a top ranked QB in front of him who was still pretty young. They didn't bet the farm on a 6th rounder until he proved he could win games.

VACowboy

Reaction score
This year is an interesting year for us. Of course seeing our team without Romo has seriously sent many fans into a panic over the position. Oh course I understand the panic, but I do wonder how many of the same fans that are screaming for Lynch or Goff would truly feel about them if Romo wasnt injured and we ended up with the 4th pick due to other reasons. Anyways this is going to be a long few months to see what we do with our 1st.

And for those saying that next year's QB class will suck so we must use our 1st on a QB no matter what is silly. Before the start of the college football season, practically no one talked about Lynch as a serious QB prospect. All the talk was about Goff, Cook, and Hackenberg. Memphis beats Ole Miss and the Lynch hype train just took off and continued to gain steam for the rest of the season. He came out of nowhere and stayed at the top draftniks boards till he laid an egg in his bowl game but he is still considered a top 5 pick and possibly the best QB prospect still. So a question to anyone who reads.

Is this year's QB class really as good as some are trying to make it seem if some raw no name QB can come out of nowhere and leap frog every QB in this year's class? Or has the fear of going through what we went through post Aikman again made up the minds of the ones screaming Lynch, Goff, or riot?

Have you seen Lynch play? Just curious.

Killerinstinct

Reaction score
That said you are under selling some of these QB's. Sure they weren't all top 4 but they were mostly 1st round even if it was for a previous team. Let's go through them

Cam Newton - first pick in the entire draft
Andy Dalton - 3rd pick in the second round
Big Ben - pick 11 in the entire draft
Alex Smith - first pick in the entire draft
Carson Palmer - first pick in the entire draft
Teddy Bridgewater - last pick first round
Aaron Rogers - 24th pick in first round
Brock O - you had this wrong....he is actually 52nd pick in 2nd round

Basically there are 3 QB's that aren't first or second round talents. I get that you don't need to draft one in top 4 but hoping for a Brady or Romo is not a solid plan. Heck even with Brady they had a top ranked QB in front of him who was still pretty young. They didn't bet the farm on a 6th rounder until he proved he could win games.

My point is there are alternative ways to acquire a QB without using a top 4 pick. Yes Alex Smith was the first pick in the draft but that is not what KC paid for him. Same goes for Palmer. Cam Newton is the only QB starting in the playoffs that their team used an early first rd pick to draft.

If Dallas likes Goff or Lynch or other QB then they should draft one of them but drafting the second choice at pick no 4 is an absolutely horrible thing to do when there are other alternatives and the team has holes all over the place. RG III was a no 2 pick. We could have him without spending a no 4 pick similar to how the Cardinals picked up their QB. Thanks for the correction on Osweiller I was going on memory.

RandyOh

Reaction score
Have you seen Lynch play? Just curious.

I have. My comment in no way was my personal opinion on how i feel about the QB's in this draft but he did come out of nowhere and i even read that former scouts reviews on him that he is being rated so high on what he could be with all the physical tools. Not the player that he is today. But question to you. What about my comment do you not like? Just curious.

AzorAhai

Reaction score
This year is an interesting year for us. Of course seeing our team without Romo has seriously sent many fans into a panic over the position. Oh course I understand the panic, but I do wonder how many of the same fans that are screaming for Lynch or Goff would truly feel about them if Romo wasnt injured and we ended up with the 4th pick due to other reasons. Anyways this is going to be a long few months to see what we do with our 1st.

And for those saying that next year's QB class will suck so we must use our 1st on a QB no matter what is silly. Before the start of the college football season, practically no one talked about Lynch as a serious QB prospect. All the talk was about Goff, Cook, and Hackenberg. Memphis beats Ole Miss and the Lynch hype train just took off and continued to gain steam for the rest of the season. He came out of nowhere and stayed at the top draftniks boards till he laid an egg in his bowl game but he is still considered a top 5 pick and possibly the best QB prospect still. So a question to anyone who reads.

Is this year's QB class really as good as some are trying to make it seem if some raw no name QB can come out of nowhere and leap frog every QB in this year's class? Or has the fear of going through what we went through post Aikman again made up the minds of the ones screaming Lynch, Goff, or riot?

Theres some people in a panic after this year, but there's plenty of people who are not. A lot of us are just thinking practically about it. We probably won't have another opportunity to pick this high during Romo's tenure. He's probably only got 2-3 years left. There's also two very highly regarded QB prospects. This puts us in a unique position to draft and develop a potential QB of the future without being forced into one when Romo retires and hopefully keeps us from having to have multiple seasons like this one before we have the next QB.