Dallas will not select a QB at no 4.

CowboyWay

If Coach would have put me in, we'd a won State
Reaction score
Everyone likes Bosa, and while I don't think he will get past San Diego.... you have to wonder what we would do with him. I think DLaw made strides this year, and before the ankle injury Gregory looked good too. I expect good things from Gregory after a offseason of weights and conditioning. There is also Hardy, who I believe is going to stay because he isn't going to get the money out on the market that he thinks he can get, and Jerry will pay for him provided its not a ridiculous price. Not saying that Bosa isn't better than all of them..... but lets face it..... there are other needs, and DE doesn't seem to be a huge priority for us right now.

That being said...if Bosa got buy Cleveland and SD..... I think the phones would ring off the hook.

sbark

Reaction score
I want the guy who's going to help the team next year. Just because you aren't a good team today doesn't mean it has to be a 5 year turn around, those days are over, especially in this division.

Typically that is a rb, they can play more on instinct than most other positions...........trade down, snag OSU's rb and have additional ammo as targets drop into late 1st early 2nd.......

Rogerthat12

DWAREZ
Reaction score
Everyone likes Bosa, and while I don't think he will get past San Diego.... you have to wonder what we would do with him. I think DLaw made strides this year, and before the ankle injury Gregory looked good too. I expect good things from Gregory after a offseason of weights and conditioning. There is also Hardy, who I believe is going to stay because he isn't going to get the money out on the market that he thinks he can get, and Jerry will pay for him provided its not a ridiculous price. Not saying that Bosa isn't better than all of them..... but lets face it..... there are other needs, and DE doesn't seem to be a huge priority for us right now.

That being said...if Bosa got buy Cleveland and SD..... I think the phones would ring off the hook.

Even with all the aforementioned, our pass rush was not very effective overall.

I would take Bosa if available and not look back.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Absofreakinglutely. Let the browns and other perennial losers draft another QB just to release him a couple of years later because they never fixed the supporting cast. Football is not all about the QB's. The one thing I am dreading during this offseason is the non stop talk about the QB's in the media. Months of Goff Lynch talk. Then the media will build up another QB to can't miss status. Then when that third QB falls in the draft it will be the story of the draft with him sitting there for hours and not getting picked. It is the same tired routine every year. A Top 10 board that moves around a little every week when there are hundreds of players that need to be talked about and team needs need to be addressed. It is about building a team. Not just QB's. Let ESPN talk non stop about Goff and Lynch and at least on this site we can have intelligent conversations about the entire team and the best way to address all of the needs. We need at least 2 linebackers, We need a Strong Safety, we need 2 cornerbacks, we need a RT, We need a no 2 receiver, we need a backup RB and future starter, If Leary and Bernie leave we need backup Guards and a backup Center. Let's not waste all of our time on Goff and Lynch. Neither of which is going to help this team any time soon. If we are going to go from 12-4 to 4-12 and back to 12-4 it wont be because of some backup QB that we gave our highest pick in 25 years for.

I agree with most you said but we don't need a SS. That's all we have is SS. No real FS. Now if Jones is staying at FS then we need corner. Can we use an upgrade at SS.......yes. we can upgrade any spot on the team.

We need talent period, at every position. We need to follow our board and take BPA when we are on the clock. No need for reaching on a QB, stick to the board and get best value

Dodger12

Reaction score
The baloney is your belief that you have to have a top 4 QB pick to make the playoffs.

Broncos Osweiller Late 1st
Patriots - Brady 6th rd
Steelers - Ben Mid 1st
Bengals - Dalton 2nd
Chiefs - Smith early first but went to KC in a trade
Texans - Don't even know but not a top 4 pick

Panthers - Early 1st
Arizona - Via Trade or FA
Seahawks - 3rd rd
Vikings - Late 1st
Packers - late 1st
Commanders - 4th

Only one team in the playoff is being quarterbacked by an early 1st rd pick that they originally drafted. I should add that I bet the Chiefs are glad that SF gave up on Smith and The Cardinals are glad the Raiders were willing to let Palmer go. Yes surrounding cast matters.

As was already mentioned, Osweiler was a second round pick but it really doesn't matter. If Manning starts, that's a large majority of 1st round picks that are starting in the playoffs. They're the franchise and these teams will only go as far as their QB's will take them.

My point is there are alternative ways to acquire a QB without using a top 4 pick. Yes Alex Smith was the first pick in the draft but that is not what KC paid for him. Same goes for Palmer. Cam Newton is the only QB starting in the playoffs that their team used an early first rd pick to draft.

If Dallas likes Goff or Lynch or other QB then they should draft one of them but drafting the second choice at pick no 4 is an absolutely horrible thing to do when there are other alternatives and the team has holes all over the place. RG III was a no 2 pick. We could have him without spending a no 4 pick similar to how the Cardinals picked up their QB. Thanks for the correction on Osweiller I was going on memory.

We can acquire any position without a first round pick. So what? And you really want RG3? Any quality draft picks would only linger in mediocrity without a QB and by the time a QB does develop, we'd have to make a decision on those players. And we tried to win with a 1st round QB acquired in FA. Weeden didn't work.

Now is the time to draft a QB. If Lynch and/or Goff are highly rated by our scouts, then we take them if they're there and let them sit for a season or two behind Romo. I'm just kind of flabbergasted at the opinions around here when it comes to the QB spot. If we've learned anything from this season, it should show us how a potential SB contender tanks without it's QB.

waving monkey

Reaction score
I do see a trade to the 1st with SF. No other position lost us more games then the back up
QB this year.

Killerinstinct

Reaction score
"hopefully keeps us from having to have multiple seasons like this one"

Nope. Woul
I agree with most you said but we don't need a SS. That's all we have is SS. No real FS. Now if Jones is staying at FS then we need corner. Can we use an upgrade at SS.......yes. we can upgrade any spot on the team.

We need talent period, at every position. We need to follow our board and take BPA when we are on the clock. No need for reaching on a QB, stick to the board and get best value

We don't have a SS. Church is good against the run but horrible in pass coverage. Wilcox is about the same. Jones will be playing FS. We need corners and SS.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
"hopefully keeps us from having to have multiple seasons like this one"

Nope. Woul

We don't have a SS. Church is good against the run but horrible in pass coverage. Wilcox is about the same. Jones will be playing FS. We need corners and SS.

Wilcox is a SS that's playing FS. If we go and get Berry in FA you would have Jones and Berry at safety. Just need a CB or two

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
So you think Tenn will not be open to a trade I think SF trades up.for Goff
Browns I'm thinking will take a QB IMO
So the first two picks go QB but i realize thats speculation.

Sure its possible, but I just don't see Tennessee trading. They typically make very little trades and Philly offered them 3 first round picks last year for Marriotta and they gave Philly the middle finger. I just don't see Tennessee passing on Tunsul, who many are saying is the best OT to come out in years.

So that leaves the Browns and Chargers.............if somehow both QBs go here, then that leaves BOSA sitting on the board at pick 4. I then pee myself with excitement as I run the card myself up to the commish, because we just landed the top defensive player in the draft.

So either way we are good............we either get one of the top QBs or we get the top defensive player............its really a win win for us.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
The Chargers could take a QB. Rivers is 34. So they could do what Dallas is doing and take a QB to sit behind Rivers for a few years.

They just gave Rivers a new contract and he is now signed thru 2019..........just makes no sense they would resign him and then use a top 5 pick on another QB.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
I agree, as we stand here today. Obviously things will change a bunch over the next 4 months, but right now I believe the Boys will take a player at 4 who can immediately contribute, likely a defensive player. They will only take a QB possibly in a trade down or in a later round.

Let's revisit this in 3 months or after the combine. Everyone's top 10 and perhaps top 5 will have a different look.

Jerry did say on the FAN that drafting a QB at pick 4 would be a move to help "win now" because that QB could come off the bench for Romo if he got hurt and actually win games.

So in Jerry's mind, picking a QB at 4 is not just a move for the future, but is a move for now as well.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
You may be right about JJ liking Manziel more than Haslam likes him, but I read an article recently (Peter King, I think, but don't remember for sure) that discussed their owner being high on him and was responsible for trading up in the draft to get him. The article went on to say that if the coach and GM were fired (which has come to pass), then Haslam would ensure the new coach go forward with Manziel as the QB of the future. Don't know the validity of any of that, just passing on what I read from someone supposedly "in the know".

If that is true, then there is no way they are going to draft QB at pick #2.........they are probably going defense and BOSA is the best defensive player in the draft. With both Tennessee and San Diego not needing QBs, barring a trade up, Goff will be on the board at pick 4.

I just don't see how we can pass on Goff if he is there.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
I hope it plays out like this.

Rd 1-
1. Tunsil
2. Goff
3. Ramsey
4. Bosa-Dal
7. Lynch

Rd 2-
1-Docston-Ten
2-Henry-Cle
3-Wentz-Dal

I know, wishful thinking.

If that was our actual draft, I would go streaking through the neighborhood yelling "How Bout Them Cowboys":laugh:

LandryFan

Proud Native Texan, USMC-1972-79, USN-1983-2000
Reaction score
If that is true, then there is no way they are going to draft QB at pick #2.........they are probably going defense and BOSA is the best defensive player in the draft. With both Tennessee and San Diego not needing QBs, barring a trade up, Goff will be on the board at pick 4.

I just don't see how we can pass on Goff if he is there.

I agree on the likelihood of taking Goff at 4 given that he's sitting there. Of course, a lot can change between now and the end of April. One caveat to the owner siding with manziel: The story I read was printed just prior to Manziel being a no-show for his concussion protocol appointment last Sunday morning. Don't know what affect, if any, that would have on Haslem's opinion of Manziel.

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
That means Tunsil or Bosa will .that's even better.

I am warming up to Bosa. They have spent a boatload of firsts on the O-line, so why not start investing heavily in the trenches on Defense as well. They need to get to the QB with more frequency next season.

DC Cowboy

Reaction score
If the cowboys front office grades either Goff or Lynch as a franchise QB, we MUST take him at 4. RG3 has broken down physically and nothing about Johnny Manziel makes me think he can be the leader of the team beyond Romo.

May I ask those that watch college football on a regular basis a Question? Who is the best DT coming out this year? Robert Nkemdiche?

reddyuta

Reaction score
Jerry did say on the FAN that drafting a QB at pick 4 would be a move to help "win now" because that QB could come off the bench for Romo if he got hurt and actually win games.

So in Jerry's mind, picking a QB at 4 is not just a move for the future, but is a move for now as well.

He did? That's great to hear.both Jerry and Stephen are on board drafting a QB.now it's just a matter of evaluating the top 2 guys